Andrea Florence
Andrea Florence
Italy
Local time: 00:45
Italian to English
+ ...
Jul 5, 2012

Hello,
I am Andrea and I am new registered here. Sorry but I have not understood how this web-site works?? Is there anyone who can help me?? I would like to use this website to make experience as translator.
Thanks,

Andrea

Kai Döring
Kai Döring  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 06:45
English to German
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Welcome to ProZ.com Jul 6, 2012

Hi Andrea,

Congratulations!

My name is Kai Döring and I am a ProZ.com Guide. I started on ProZ.com in 2007, the same way as you to explore the possibilities working as a translator.

ProZ.com is the perfect tool in looking and finding clients and displaying your services.

First, you should complete your profile since this is and will be your calling card for prospective clients.

Y
... See more
Hi Andrea,

Congratulations!

My name is Kai Döring and I am a ProZ.com Guide. I started on ProZ.com in 2007, the same way as you to explore the possibilities working as a translator.

ProZ.com is the perfect tool in looking and finding clients and displaying your services.

First, you should complete your profile since this is and will be your calling card for prospective clients.

You may check this helpful videos:

http://www.proz.com/videos/tutorials%20on%20proz.com/224

http://www.proz.com/videos/tutorials%20on%20proz.com/388

Do not forget to highlight your expertise.

How ProZ.com works?

ProZ.com has different areas for translators depending on their requirement. I believe the most important area for you are (at least for now) the job posts. You may screen jobs in your respective field and bid for them (please be aware of restrictions for non-paying members).

In my case, I was paying my first 6 month of membership with my first job.

I hope this brief introduction was of help for you.

Regards,
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:45
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
To add to Kai's advice Jul 6, 2012

Hello Andrea,

As a trainee translator, there are many things for you here. As Kai says, your ProZ.com profile can be your window to the translating world, where prospective clients will find you. So the first thing to do is to complete your profile fully. ProZ gives free webinars to help you learn how to build a good profile and how to get started as a translator on ProZ.com.

Under the Education tab you will be able to access these webinars and other training (online a
... See more
Hello Andrea,

As a trainee translator, there are many things for you here. As Kai says, your ProZ.com profile can be your window to the translating world, where prospective clients will find you. So the first thing to do is to complete your profile fully. ProZ gives free webinars to help you learn how to build a good profile and how to get started as a translator on ProZ.com.

Under the Education tab you will be able to access these webinars and other training (online and in person, free and not). There are also some interesting articles to read and the Translation Wiki gives a lot of specific advice. The marketing Wikis would be a good place to start, as you will need a CV adapted to freelance translating.

The About tab is the place to go to visit the site guidance centre for particular advice for new users of the site. The FAQ are also very helpful.

Then there are the forums. This Getting Established forum is full of 100% relevant information. It can be a bit repetitive, but that can be good when you're learning a trade.

The Terminology tab is the place to go to get help with words and short phrases in texts that you are translating. It's also the place to help other people with their terminology queries. You'll find that it's fun and interesting to help other translators, and having your answer selected as the most helpful can give you added visibility on the site.

The Jobs and Directories tab is where you can learn about outsourcers and they can come to look for you. However, the directory contains over 10,000 English to Italian translators (the only pair you should really be providing), so you need to try to get your name towards the top of the list before outsourcers will find you. Look at "my directory ranking" for advice on improving your position. The job board is where outsourcers post jobs and that can sometimes be a way of finding work. However, good jobs received many quotes, and bad ones will be for very low rates or will want you to work through the night. The best jobs here come from outsourcers choosing likely translators from the directory and sending them a private message. Still, it's worth keeping an eye on the job board and quoting for jobs there. The Blue Board gives a lot of information about companies and can help you avoid a company that is a known bad payer.

Those, in a nutshell, are the main features of ProZ.com. Let us know if there are more specific questions. However, you will probably find answers to most of your questions in this forum!

Sheila

Edited to tidy it up a bit

[Edited at 2012-07-06 11:08 GMT]
Collapse

Emmanuelle Hingant
Emmanuelle Hingant  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
Language combination Jul 6, 2012

Hi Andrea,

Welcome to Proz, I hope you enjoy the forums and website.

My first advice to you would be to delete Italian > English as your combination language on your profile. Please avoid translating into a language that is not your mother tongue, which English clearly is not (neither is it for me). That would lead to unpleasant experiences for you and your clients.

Good luck!

Emma

Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
The first thing to do... Jul 6, 2012

... is to thoroughly study all the information available: site rules, FAQs, forum discussions on various useful topics. One of the key skills of professional suppliers is their ability to search for information (the latter is not a secret, it's available to everyone who can read and have Internet access).
Welcome!

[Редактировалось 2012-07-06 12:21 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New registered

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »