Finding in-house work in Spain (Barcelona).....any advice?
Thread poster: Michelle Temple
Michelle Temple
Michelle Temple  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:37
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jul 13, 2004

Hello!

I will be moving to Barcelona at the end of August and was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experiences with me on finding work in Spain. I'm primarily interested in finding an in-house position, or perhaps an administrative position which involves translation to build experience.

Does anyone have any advice on the topic, ie. useful resources (besides infojobs), associations to join, etc.?
I've heard that there are quite a few in-hou
... See more
Hello!

I will be moving to Barcelona at the end of August and was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experiences with me on finding work in Spain. I'm primarily interested in finding an in-house position, or perhaps an administrative position which involves translation to build experience.

Does anyone have any advice on the topic, ie. useful resources (besides infojobs), associations to join, etc.?
I've heard that there are quite a few in-house jobs there, is that true?

I'd love to hear from anyone who's been in a similar situation!

Thanks!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-07-13 16:47]
Collapse

Elena Simonelli
Elena Simonelli  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:37
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
free-lance Jul 13, 2004

Hello Michelle!
I think I had a similar experience. I also would have liked to find an in-house job, but I see that agencies here prefer to work with free-lance translators; so, after a stage in an agency, they asked me to be a free-lance and actually I started working with many clients in a very short time (I guess it will be even better for you, as everybody translates more into English than into Italian). Maybe it's also easier to be hired for an in-house position with English, but I do
... See more
Hello Michelle!
I think I had a similar experience. I also would have liked to find an in-house job, but I see that agencies here prefer to work with free-lance translators; so, after a stage in an agency, they asked me to be a free-lance and actually I started working with many clients in a very short time (I guess it will be even better for you, as everybody translates more into English than into Italian). Maybe it's also easier to be hired for an in-house position with English, but I don't think there are so many vacancies.
In Barcelona there are two associations: ATIC and TRIAC. They organize interesting courses and events.
You can also check the "Lista SIIT" for jobs and transation-related ads: http://funredes.org/lista_siit/mail/date.html#479.
Good luck!
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
I've changed your title to target Barcelona Jul 13, 2004

Just your being there might make some people sit up and take notice... Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finding in-house work in Spain (Barcelona).....any advice?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »