Theresa Trisolino
Theresa Trisolino  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:28
Italian to English
+ ...
Aug 29, 2012

Dear All

I have learnt so much from these forums over the last year or so - and especially in the last few months as I have been building up to launch as a freelance translator. Now it is my turn to ask a question...

My question is about certification - I have trawled the internet but cannot get a firm answer. Does the fact that I have a Diploma of Translation from the Institute of Linguists (in the UK) mean that I am certified? I feel like this is a very basic question
... See more
Dear All

I have learnt so much from these forums over the last year or so - and especially in the last few months as I have been building up to launch as a freelance translator. Now it is my turn to ask a question...

My question is about certification - I have trawled the internet but cannot get a firm answer. Does the fact that I have a Diploma of Translation from the Institute of Linguists (in the UK) mean that I am certified? I feel like this is a very basic question indeed but I hope that someone won't mind replying.

Thank you very much

Theresa
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:28
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Being "certified" Aug 29, 2012

"Certified" simply means that some third party has taken upon itself to certify that you meet some standard, intended to reassure clients of your abilities.

Who that third party is makes all the difference in whether being "certified" means anything or not.

The IoL is an internationally recognized body with stringent standards, and their Diploma carries considerable weight and assurance to clients.

Most major countries have a recognized body that provides c
... See more
"Certified" simply means that some third party has taken upon itself to certify that you meet some standard, intended to reassure clients of your abilities.

Who that third party is makes all the difference in whether being "certified" means anything or not.

The IoL is an internationally recognized body with stringent standards, and their Diploma carries considerable weight and assurance to clients.

Most major countries have a recognized body that provides certifications. Some are government regulated and some are private but well recognized.

In some jurisdictions, the words "Certified Translator" are regulated by law, and you can only use those terms if you are a member of a certain professional body. In those jurisdictions, someone recognized as "certified" in other jurisdictions will not be recognized there as "certified".

Proz.com has its "Certified Pro" brand, which is backed by a peer-review process and therefore carries a measure of assurance.

Then there are the internet sellers of "certification" who will, for a fee, provide you with "Certification" that no one recognizes but themselves (or an organization owned by them for the purpose). Such "certifications" are worthless.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It depends what you mean by "certified" :-) Aug 29, 2012

Great response from John, I reckon. Showed just how many meanings the word has.
Theresa Trisolino wrote:
Does the fact that I have a Diploma of Translation from the Institute of Linguists (in the UK) mean that I am certified?

I'd add that in the eyes of ProZ.com, yes, with a DipTrans you are definitely a certified translator.

One problem is that many people (translators and clients alike) tend to confuse "certified" with "sworn" translator, those who are on the list of a country's consulate (embassy?) and who are authorised to put a stamp on birth certificates and suchlike so that the translation is as valid as the original. Some countries don't have sworn translators. In that case, any professional translator (whether or not they have any qualifications, I believe) can self-certify the translation to be accurate (to the best of their knowledge).

So you see, it wasn't a very basic question, after all, Theresa. If you find a better answer, please post it here!

Theresa Trisolino
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU - certification Aug 29, 2012

Thank you John and Sheila

Both very clear and the answers I was looking for!

Have a good evening

Theresa

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Translation-related credentials just add to members' applications Aug 29, 2012

Hello all,

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Theresa Trisolino wrote:
Does the fact that I have a Diploma of Translation from the Institute of Linguists (in the UK) mean that I am certified?

I'd add that in the eyes of ProZ.com, yes, with a DipTrans you are definitely a certified translator.

Let me just clarify here that members of the ProZ.com Certified PRO Network --if that's what you are referring to, Sheila-- are not certified for just having a diploma in translation. Site members who want to enter the ProZ.com Certified PRO Network must complete and submit their application, and prove that they meet or exceed minimum professional standards in 3 different screening areas: (1) translation ability, (2) business reliability and (3) online citizenship. Hence, translation-related credentials are one of the many things screeners take into account when reviewing applications.

For more information, just visit http://www.proz.com/pro-tag/info/about/freelancers

Lucia

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
certified vs credentials Aug 29, 2012

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:
Let me just clarify here that members of the ProZ.com Certified PRO Network --if that's what you are referring to, Sheila-- are not certified for just having a diploma in translation.

You're right, Lucia, there's an added complication there. No, I wasn't thinking specifically of the "P" network - I know what that entails, of course. But many outsourcers say they want only to receive quotes from certified translators, and they accomplish this by restricting quotes to "Certified PRO" members, and/or those with "credentials" (aka certificates!).

I meant that, in general terms, if an outsourcer specifies "certified" then Theresa may be the woman for the job.

K S (X)
K S (X)
United Kingdom
Self-certification Aug 29, 2012

I have stumbled across this problem several times and this is the explanation I offer to my clients in the FAQ of my web site:

CAN I HAVE MY TRANSLATION CERTIFIED?
Yes, I provide certified translations which are accepted by all public institutions in the UK. You can also have the translation notarised before a notary public. In the common law system in this country, there are no sworn translators that exist in civil law countries so an officially recognised translation is a se
... See more
I have stumbled across this problem several times and this is the explanation I offer to my clients in the FAQ of my web site:

CAN I HAVE MY TRANSLATION CERTIFIED?
Yes, I provide certified translations which are accepted by all public institutions in the UK. You can also have the translation notarised before a notary public. In the common law system in this country, there are no sworn translators that exist in civil law countries so an officially recognised translation is a self-certified one. Certifying or swearing does not mean better quality of work but it is there to identify the translator and make them accountable. You should always make sure you check the type of legalisation required for your translated documents as the requirements may vary in non-UK jurisdictions.

http://slobodzian.co.uk/services/faqs/

The above means that the requirements vary greatly and depend on country's legislation. For example, I sent to the DVLA an English translation of my Polish marriage certificate which was signed by a fellow translator. The translation was accepted and considered valid. Such certification, however, would not be accepted in Poland, where documents have to signed and stamped by sworn translators only.

ITI Qualified Members can also provide seals. Go to www.iti.org.uk for more information.

I hope the above helps.

Kasia
Collapse

Theresa Trisolino
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 1, 2012

Thank you very much Kasia - it all helps!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:28
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Completing the information Sep 1, 2012

All colleagues here have given you valuable inputs on what are certified translators (like you) and certified translations (not necessarily done by certified translators).

Few countries actually have pervasive laws on the translation of foreign documents for official purposes within their territory. Two of these are Brazil and Spain. As this information may be hard to find in English, you can read about it on ... See more
All colleagues here have given you valuable inputs on what are certified translators (like you) and certified translations (not necessarily done by certified translators).

Few countries actually have pervasive laws on the translation of foreign documents for official purposes within their territory. Two of these are Brazil and Spain. As this information may be hard to find in English, you can read about it on my web page regarding the Brazilian federal law on this matter.

Some countries have laws on that covering specific purposes. For instance, AFAIK (and I might be mistaken!), in Panama it's possible to establish a company by registering its Articles of Association written and signed in ANY language, as long as they are attached to a translation by an accredited traductor judicial.

Other countries (e.g. USA, UK, Canada, Australia) have no widespread law on this matter, so each institution, agency, office, etc. is free to set their own rules on what kind of translation/translator is required for each purpose.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What constitutes 'certified'?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »