Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Do I need a land line and a fax machine?
Thread poster: Rachel E
Rachel E
Rachel E
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:27
Sep 2, 2012

Hi,
I've just finished my masters in translation and I'm now trying to get started as a freelancer. At the moment I don't actually have a phone line, I just have my mobile and then skype. Obviously having been a student I'm very strapped for cash so I just want to know if a land line is essential nowadays for a translator? And how about a fax machine? If it is I will have to get it but just wondering if anyone knows of any cheaper options.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
... See more
Hi,
I've just finished my masters in translation and I'm now trying to get started as a freelancer. At the moment I don't actually have a phone line, I just have my mobile and then skype. Obviously having been a student I'm very strapped for cash so I just want to know if a land line is essential nowadays for a translator? And how about a fax machine? If it is I will have to get it but just wondering if anyone knows of any cheaper options.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rachel
Collapse

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 19:27
German to English
+ ...
I've been a translator for 30 years Sep 2, 2012

and don't have a fax or a landline. If you find your clients want to use fax there are services that can receive faxes and send them on to you as emails - I have one and I get about one fax every six months.

Landline is totally unnecessary. As long as you're contactable, no one cares whether landline or mobile.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
fax2mail and skype2fax Sep 2, 2012

Rachel E wrote:
At the moment I don't actually have a phone line, I just have my mobile and then skype.

I know of many freelance translators who don't even give out their phone numbers at all -- they do everything via e-mail. Obviously as a beginner you'd want to be as reachable as possible, so having a phone number in addition to e-mail is a good thing for you.

What would the added advantage of a landline be over a cellphone, do you think?

And how about a fax machine?

I have never had clients contact me via fax or send me documents via fax, even though I maintain a fax number and indicate it on all my invoices and letterheads.

I don't have a fax machine, though -- I use online fax2mail or mail2fax services. You can often get fax2mail services for free (the sender pays a little extra for the fax). The fax is converted to TIFF or PDF and is sent to you via e-mail as an attachment.

Mail2fax (or similar services) costs money, though. A good mail2fax service is actually skype2fax, and I can recommend PamFax. Remember, you don't have to send faxes from the same "number" as you receive it.

Rachel E
Rachel E
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 2, 2012

Thank you very much for your advice David. That's exactly the response I was hoping for so I'm very pleased!

Rachel E
Rachel E
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 2, 2012

Oh and thank you Samuel too, I didn't see that post.

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:27
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Landline & All-In-One Sep 2, 2012

Dear Rachel,

I would say you would definitely need a landline in the long run. First of all, a landline is much more reliable than a mobile phone. A mobile phone (system) can break down for any reason (a hurricane, for example), and a landline would still run. A mobile phone is just for what it is, when you are mobile, period. Other than that, a landline is the surest way to go.

As for the fax machine, I would say get one of those machines called all-in-one. They b
... See more
Dear Rachel,

I would say you would definitely need a landline in the long run. First of all, a landline is much more reliable than a mobile phone. A mobile phone (system) can break down for any reason (a hurricane, for example), and a landline would still run. A mobile phone is just for what it is, when you are mobile, period. Other than that, a landline is the surest way to go.

As for the fax machine, I would say get one of those machines called all-in-one. They basicallly have four functions: printer, fax, photocopy and scanner. They can do all of these. That is why they are called all-in-one. They are not that expensive, either. Nowadays you can buy a decent all-in-one machine for about $100. or so. At least this is the price in the States or at Amazon.com. Take a look at Amazon for all-in-one machines. You can also buy a second hand but I would not recommend. Good luck!
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
One advantage Sep 2, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

Well, you don't have to recharge a landline every couple of days

FWIW

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
They can both wait Sep 2, 2012

The only essential is a decent internet connection.

I thought fax machines were as obsolete as the VHS. Definitely not a priority. A landline is a nice thing to have, but if you have a mobile then there's no urgency.

Basically they can both wait till you're on your feet and your budget is less "studenty".

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:27
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
It depends on where you live Sep 2, 2012

If your area is prone to earthquakes or storms, I highly recommend a land line because they run on a separate grid. Technically you can hook up your laptop to your phone outlet and you can deliver your job, slowly but reliable.

Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Romanian to English
+ ...
No need Sep 2, 2012

Giles Watson wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

FWIW

Giles, that applies only if you use a prepay card and not a subscription service. Over here (Romania), there are excellent mobile plans, with mobile internet and broadband internet, and I don't have to recharge every couple of days, but pay my invoice once a month.

Having a landline also depends on your lifestyle. If you have a fixed working schedule at an office (living room, bedroom, whatever) and you don't want to be bothered outside those hours, you can use a landline.
I have a landline, but I never used it for business and I'm doing fine without it.
If you like to move around and not be stuck to a desk, your cell phone will be just perfect.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Recharging your batteries Sep 2, 2012

Annamaria Amik wrote:

Giles, that applies only if you use a prepay card and not a subscription service.

Hi Annamaria,

Sorry if I wasn't clear but perhaps you're confusing "recharge" (the battery) with "top up".

Best,

G.

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Landline Reliability vs. Cell Phone Reliability Sep 2, 2012

For more on landline reliability, please see:

http://www.wwt.net/pdf/why-landline-pho
... See more
For more on landline reliability, please see:

http://www.wwt.net/pdf/why-landline-phone.pdf

http://www.ehow.com/about_5501487_landline-phones-vs-cell-phones.html

http://www.mainstreet.com/article/smart-spending/budgeting/cell-phones-vs-landlines-surprising-truths

Of course, there is much more on the Internet.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Landlines Sep 2, 2012

Giles Watson wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

FWIW

I have my landline bundled in with the internet service and I can call for free anywhere in Europe, the US, Canada and some other places. It's useful to be able to call your client without having to worry about the cost, if a misunderstanding has cropped up or if you have thorny questions about your translation. Not to mention calling our many family members abroad! I always send clients a mail with my questions but I call if I don't get a swift or full response, then confirm whatever was decided in another mail afterwards.
(my mobile being a freebie that's also bundled in with internet, I only have an hour of free communication, so I only use it in emergencies)

[Edited at 2012-09-02 15:24 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:27
German to English
Fax probably not needed Sep 2, 2012

In the US, calling numbers outside the country on a mobile phone can be expensive. My landline service provides unlimited domestic calling and inexpensive per-minute rates anywhere in the world, even to mobile phones (for example, last winter a 20 minute call to my daughter in Nairobi cost a little over a dollar). I use the landline for outgoing calls only; the answering machine only plays a message without accepting voice mail. My all-in-one printer offers faxing capability and I send a few non... See more
In the US, calling numbers outside the country on a mobile phone can be expensive. My landline service provides unlimited domestic calling and inexpensive per-minute rates anywhere in the world, even to mobile phones (for example, last winter a 20 minute call to my daughter in Nairobi cost a little over a dollar). I use the landline for outgoing calls only; the answering machine only plays a message without accepting voice mail. My all-in-one printer offers faxing capability and I send a few non-business faxes per year, mainly on behalf of friends and family. I don't recall when I last received/sent a translation by fax.Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Landline/mobile vs internet Sep 2, 2012

I would say landline is not necessary at all... As for reliability: landline is as reliable as (cable) Internet - if you have one, you usually have the other one as well (often they are served on the same links). And of the two Internet provides, naturally, a much better means of communication. The situations where both the Internet and the mobile service are down and it is only the landline that can save the day are rather unlikely.

Besides, if you don't have Internet and mobile s
... See more
I would say landline is not necessary at all... As for reliability: landline is as reliable as (cable) Internet - if you have one, you usually have the other one as well (often they are served on the same links). And of the two Internet provides, naturally, a much better means of communication. The situations where both the Internet and the mobile service are down and it is only the landline that can save the day are rather unlikely.

Besides, if you don't have Internet and mobile service, there is little you can do businesswise... You will not dictate your translation over the phone, will you? I am perfectly aware that it is (still?) technically possible to send files over the phone line, but it has been a while since I've seen a working modem... Not to mention that the once perfectly common question like "ZModem or Xmodem"? would just draw blank stares nowadays.

If you really want to have an alternative phone number, try VoIP. The obvious disadvantage is that it works only when the Internet works, but then the cost is completely negligible.

And finally, you better not power a laptop from the phone grid... unless you have a taste in fried electronic parts.

[Edited at 2012-09-02 16:17 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I need a land line and a fax machine?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »