emmanuelle groom
emmanuelle groom  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:39
Member (2012)
English to French
Nov 15, 2012

Hi,

I've recently passed the dipTrans exam English to French and am looking to start off as a translator. I'm about to contact agencies to try to get that first job but would like some reassurance that I'm not getting it too wrong! Would 0.07 GBP per word be a suitable rate for someone in my position?
thanks for your advice,

Manue

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 19:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, in principle Nov 15, 2012

I still charge a similar rate in Spain for some of my own clients, although the cost of living is a bit cheaper here.
As long as you can afford to live on it, then it's an acceptable rate. However, most of the French translators I know are asking for at least 10 (p or cents).

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Congrat on the DipTrans Nov 15, 2012

Hello Manue,

Welcome to ProZ.com and the world of freelance translation!

I don't think your rate would be far from the mark, although you'll find a number of clients (agencies rather than direct clients) who will say it's far too high. I would advise you to refuse their demands to lower your rate, and ignore their warnings that you'll never find work at higher rates. You're well qualified and there are cl
... See more
Hello Manue,

Welcome to ProZ.com and the world of freelance translation!

I don't think your rate would be far from the mark, although you'll find a number of clients (agencies rather than direct clients) who will say it's far too high. I would advise you to refuse their demands to lower your rate, and ignore their warnings that you'll never find work at higher rates. You're well qualified and there are clients looking for quality work at reasonable rates. Note that you'll find it hard to raise your rates for existing clients, so bear that in mind when you first quote. On the other hand, once you get a solid client base, you'll be able to lose some of the early clients in favour of better-paying new clients.

BTW: you'll probably find it worthwhile quoting in EUR too for those outside of the UK (and even for big companies within it).

BTW2: If you're going to be using ProZ.com at all actively (e.g. giving potential clients a link to your profile or quoting on jobs here), you'd do well to add more info about yourself.

Good luck!
Collapse

Koen Speetjens (X)
Koen Speetjens (X)  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Don't start too low Nov 15, 2012

Hi Manue,

I'm not sure about the rates in your language pair, but I agree with Sheila that you must not start too low. I did that to get a foot into the door, but it proved difficult to change the rates (up that is, down was never a problem for one or another reason...).
At some agencies they even say that "corporate policy is not to accept rate increases", so there you are, with consumer price index and all that...

Good luck with your carreer!

emmanuelle groom
emmanuelle groom  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2012)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your advice Nov 16, 2012

I'm glad to hear this. I will definitely update my profile now!
Thanks a lot

Manue

IrimiConsulting
IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Start high but offer an introductory discount Nov 16, 2012

I have two regular clients who could not accept my rates. I offered an introductory discount of 20 to 25 percent for the first four jobs or 10,000 words. They are still sending me jobs, despite the fact that the introductory discount is gone.

I find this to be a good way to get a foot in the door without lowering your overall rates.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

advice needed for new freelance translator

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »