Thread poster: Laura Caniglia (X)
Laura Caniglia (X)
Laura Caniglia (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:54
Chinese to Italian
+ ...
Jan 4, 2013

Dear all,

I have worked as a translator before but not as a free lancer; I am now trying to establish myself as one, and I find this website very useful.

I have a question about the example of community rates; I suppose that they do not include any vat ? Am I correct ?

Would you say that it is better to indicate all rates in the profile or is it also acceptable to leave it blank and then quote privately to the customers ?

Thanks for your hel
... See more
Dear all,

I have worked as a translator before but not as a free lancer; I am now trying to establish myself as one, and I find this website very useful.

I have a question about the example of community rates; I suppose that they do not include any vat ? Am I correct ?

Would you say that it is better to indicate all rates in the profile or is it also acceptable to leave it blank and then quote privately to the customers ?

Thanks for your help
Laura
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Laws of your country Jan 4, 2013

canlaoto wrote:
I have a question about the example of community rates; I suppose that they do not include any VAT? Am I correct?

Whether they include VAT depends on the financial laws of the countries of the individual translators who reported those rates. In some countries, all rates quoted must include VAT. In some countries it is not a requirement, and quoting "ex VAT" is acceptable even if you don't say "ex VAT".

When I quote, the rate I quote is the rate that the client will pay. If it turns out that the client has to pay VAT, then I simply absorb it. If not, then that doesn't affect the quoted rate either. The price I quote is the price you pay -- that makes it easier for clients. As far as I know, the laws of my country of residence does not require me to mention VAT during the quoting stage.

Would you say that it is better to indicate all rates in the profile or is it also acceptable to leave it blank and then quote privately to the customers?

If you're a new translator, then I suggest you decide what usual rate you would accept, and make it known publically, on your profile page. Decide if you want a rate that is slightly higher or slightly lower than the community rate. I suggest you make your rate slightly higher than the community rate -- then it is easier to lower it, if you want (the opposite is not true).

Laura Caniglia (X)
Chinese to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tks Jan 11, 2013

Tks Samuel for your reply. I was hoping to get more feedback from others, but apparently prices is a delicate issue and it is difficult to get a reply.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:54
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
My feedback Jan 11, 2013

Laura Caniglia wrote:
Tks Samuel for your reply. I was hoping to get more feedback from others, but apparently prices is a delicate issue and it is difficult to get a reply.

I saw Samuel's reply and didn't bother to reply myself - he's answered your question, what more to add?

Many of us quote our rates publicly, many don't - it's a personal choice thing and there are pros and cons to both.

I don't know what the laws are about VAT, but I think everyone quotes rates without VAT. After all, if your client is outside of the VAT area, you won't add it, oddly giving the client a surprise 20% discount, and business clients within the EU don't actually pay the VAT - they either simply record it (for cross-border transactions) or they pay it then are repaid. It's largely irrelevant to everyone except accountants and private clients, who must be told that there's nn% VAT to be added to the bill. Otherwise, there's no incentive for them to come to translators who don't have to add VAT, such as those living in the VAT-free Canaries.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Depends on legislation in your particular country Jan 11, 2013

You simply need to do your research in your own particular country, as rules differ within the different countries, even within the EU, so I don't think there is any such thing as 'community rates'.

In Denmark, for instance, the VAT threshold is very low, so anyone working full-time as an independent translator will have to be registered for VAT, and we do have to charge 25 % VAT on all invoices to clients in Denmark and on all invoices to non-EU clients who intend to use our transl
... See more
You simply need to do your research in your own particular country, as rules differ within the different countries, even within the EU, so I don't think there is any such thing as 'community rates'.

In Denmark, for instance, the VAT threshold is very low, so anyone working full-time as an independent translator will have to be registered for VAT, and we do have to charge 25 % VAT on all invoices to clients in Denmark and on all invoices to non-EU clients who intend to use our translations in Denmark. And although it is true that we do not charge VAT to other companies in the EU, we still need to get their tax number for our own VAT returns, and if they cannot provide such a number, we still have to charge VAT.
Those are our specific rules, I have no clue what applies where you live.

When it comes to quoting your rates, there are no rules neither here on ProZ.com nor in the translation community as a whole. It is entirely up to you to decide what you think is most appropriate, whether you want to work with a fixed rate per word, a sliding scale depending on fuzzy matches if you use CAT tools, different rates according to language combinations or subject areas, or rates depending on the complexity of the jobs you are offered. We all do it our own way, so again, this may be why you haven't got a lot of answers here. However, if you ARE going to charge VAT, naturally you need to make clients aware of this. In Denmark, it is common to quote as in the following example:

9.500 kroner (ekskl. moms)
or DKK 9,500 (+ VAT)

Good luck, you will work it all out as you go along, I'm sure.
Collapse

Laura Caniglia (X)
Chinese to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tks Jan 14, 2013

Tks for your additional inputs !

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Community rates

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »