Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How to choose a good text for a sample translation.
Thread poster: Vivien Green
Helene Lyons
Helene Lyons  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Choosing the right text Aug 10, 2015

I am looking to start a portfolio and have read a lot about copyright laws etc. but what I really want to know is when chosing a text (in this case historical), is it advisable to use something that is very well known? I know that the text I want to use has been translated a number of times so I´m not sure.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Helene

Xuling Wu
Xuling Wu
United States
Local time: 14:36
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
It's a creative solution Sep 23, 2021

Phil Hand wrote:

Are what I use.

If you've done translations published with your name attached, you can quote from them. And I've published a lot of abstracts with translations on my blog. It's fair use so long as you're not claiming the ideas in the paper are yours!

Me, too. None of the authors I contacted ever responded to my inquiries even though I explained that I wasn't asking for any pay. It is frustrating. So, instead of waiting around for their permission, I started blogging, only translating the parts included as quotes. I give proper citations, like writing a research paper back in the old days in college. I must thank these lazy authors because it's more exciting to publish writings with your own analyses.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:36
French to English
. Sep 25, 2021

Helene Lyons wrote:
I know that the text I want to use has been translated a number of times so I´m not sure.

I would avoid translating a text that has already been translated. It may come off as presumptuous to act like you think you can do better than a published translator. Or the client might find one of the previous translations on internet and prefer it to yours - remember they might not actually be in a position to judge (I recently sent some sleeve notes to a potential client who promptly placed their first order saying they liked my "punchy style" - the text wasn't at all punchy, more like dreamy and poetic. But I was pleased as punch to get the order so never mind).

Jorge Payan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to choose a good text for a sample translation.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »