Veronique Cubilie-Ratio
Veronique Cubilie-Ratio  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:25
French to English
+ ...
Jan 19, 2013

Hello,

I am getting started as a freelance translator in the UK and I have been contacted by a direct client who would like a quote for a translation job. Would anyone be able to provide me with some advice about what a standard quote should look like? I am in the process of registering as self-employed so my business is not yet officially set up. I was wondering if this could be a problem as the client is an institution and that he will probably expect official quotes/invoices.
... See more
Hello,

I am getting started as a freelance translator in the UK and I have been contacted by a direct client who would like a quote for a translation job. Would anyone be able to provide me with some advice about what a standard quote should look like? I am in the process of registering as self-employed so my business is not yet officially set up. I was wondering if this could be a problem as the client is an institution and that he will probably expect official quotes/invoices.

Thank you for any piece of advice that you can provide.
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 16:25
Chinese to English
Just a number Jan 20, 2013

There's no fixed pattern. Quotes are generally a price per word (ideally word of source text, some clients prefer it expressed as words of target text). For direct clients, it's helpful to include the total price as well. And you should tell the client how long it will take.

It's also worth checking document format - is the client giving you Word? What format do they want the translation in?

In the UK, you don't have to register before going into business, so there are
... See more
There's no fixed pattern. Quotes are generally a price per word (ideally word of source text, some clients prefer it expressed as words of target text). For direct clients, it's helpful to include the total price as well. And you should tell the client how long it will take.

It's also worth checking document format - is the client giving you Word? What format do they want the translation in?

In the UK, you don't have to register before going into business, so there are no legal problems with just starting. All you have to do is pay your taxes at the end of the year.
Collapse

Veronique Cubilie-Ratio
Veronique Cubilie-Ratio  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:25
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
corporation tax and NIC in the first year Jan 20, 2013

Hi Phil,

thank you very much for the tips. That's very helpful. I thought that the client might want to have a company registration number so I have already registered with HMRC online. With regards to taxes, am I right to think that if you don't reach a certain threshold you may not need to pay any corporation tax? what about NIC? As I don't expect to make much in the first year, can I apply to be exempt?

Thanks a lot!

Veronique

[Edit
... See more
Hi Phil,

thank you very much for the tips. That's very helpful. I thought that the client might want to have a company registration number so I have already registered with HMRC online. With regards to taxes, am I right to think that if you don't reach a certain threshold you may not need to pay any corporation tax? what about NIC? As I don't expect to make much in the first year, can I apply to be exempt?

Thanks a lot!

Veronique

[Edited at 2013-01-20 23:15 GMT]
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 16:25
Chinese to English
A bit beyond my ken Jan 21, 2013

Not sure what you mean there - have you actually set up a company? Corporation tax is for registered companies, not for the self-employed.

Most of us don't set up companies, so I don't know how that works. You certainly don't have to. You just pay tax on what you actually earn. NICs kick in at a fairly low level, though, so you'll probably have to pay those. They're very low.

If your clients are in the UK, they don't need any numbers or codes. Just your name will do. UK
... See more
Not sure what you mean there - have you actually set up a company? Corporation tax is for registered companies, not for the self-employed.

Most of us don't set up companies, so I don't know how that works. You certainly don't have to. You just pay tax on what you actually earn. NICs kick in at a fairly low level, though, so you'll probably have to pay those. They're very low.

If your clients are in the UK, they don't need any numbers or codes. Just your name will do. UK law is quite different to what I understand of French law in that regard. Sometimes when you work for European agencies they expect more in their paperwork (like VAT registration), and you have to show them that that doesn't apply in British law.

I hope someone with more experience in the UK will chip in, because I've only worked there for a very limited time, so my knowledge is rather piecemeal!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help needed with submitting a quote

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »