Combining translation and copywriting - feedback needed
Thread poster: Michael Purvis
Michael Purvis
Michael Purvis  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 30, 2013

Hello everyone,

I'm doing my masters in Translation right now and I'm taking a business class which helps us establish ourselves and encourages us to explore every possible avenue for work that there is. This week we were talking about copywriting and I was surprised to find that so many of the others in my class had already wound up taking on copywriting jobs while searching for freelance translation work. I know it's not the same job at all, but I suppose it does make sense that
... See more
Hello everyone,

I'm doing my masters in Translation right now and I'm taking a business class which helps us establish ourselves and encourages us to explore every possible avenue for work that there is. This week we were talking about copywriting and I was surprised to find that so many of the others in my class had already wound up taking on copywriting jobs while searching for freelance translation work. I know it's not the same job at all, but I suppose it does make sense that many translators might end up copywriting as well.

So, I was wondering if there's anybody out here on Proz who combines translating with copywriting? And if so, what advice can you give me? Is it worthwhile? And if so, how do I get started? Is there an equivalent to Proz in the world of copywriting?
Collapse

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:38
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
yes it's good Jan 30, 2013

to diversify yourself and see if in the world of languages, you'd rather be a translator, subtitler, interpreter, copywriter, editor, language teacher, technical writer, or something else... If you have multiple interest you can switch from one to the other depending on what's on offer... (or where you can make most money)

Copywriting - review of products, restaurants, city trips and services van easily be found on freelancer or 0desk, but you will be bidding against high school st
... See more
to diversify yourself and see if in the world of languages, you'd rather be a translator, subtitler, interpreter, copywriter, editor, language teacher, technical writer, or something else... If you have multiple interest you can switch from one to the other depending on what's on offer... (or where you can make most money)

Copywriting - review of products, restaurants, city trips and services van easily be found on freelancer or 0desk, but you will be bidding against high school students from India, so 500 words for 1 USD, or lower, hardly worth it.

As with any good job - just look and surf, see what YOUR special subject matter expertise is and GO FOR IT - stop asking other people to do your work for you.

Copywriting takes a hands on approach, you need to do research - go and do that, then come back and post your results on this page....!

---
Ed
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Combining translation and copywriting - feedback needed

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »