Istanbul/Asia can you recommend tax advisor/accountant and matbaa?
Thread poster: Christiane Özmen-Flor
Christiane Özmen-Flor
Christiane Özmen-Flor  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:55
English to German
+ ...
Jun 21, 2013

Dear colleagues,

I have been working freelance for 8 years now, but will be relocating to Turkey soon. I have trouble finding a good tax advisor/accountant not too far away from my home which will be on the Asian side (Cekmeköy).

Can someone recommend his? I will translate from English to German, so my Turkish is not good enough yet to discuss tax issues. I can always put my Turkish husband on the phone to discuss questions, but there is always some information going
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I have been working freelance for 8 years now, but will be relocating to Turkey soon. I have trouble finding a good tax advisor/accountant not too far away from my home which will be on the Asian side (Cekmeköy).

Can someone recommend his? I will translate from English to German, so my Turkish is not good enough yet to discuss tax issues. I can always put my Turkish husband on the phone to discuss questions, but there is always some information going missing in the process.

So it would be great if the tax adviser could speak a little German. But the most important thing is that he knows which rules apply when working as a German for Germany (and other European countries) from Turkey.

Also, maybe someone wants to share the address of a good matbaa? I need to have my logo on the invoices.

Thanks a lot,
Christiane
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:55
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Matbaa Jun 21, 2013

Dear Christiane,

Here is a good matbaa on the Asian side of Istanbul. The owner Attila Cömert is one of my classmates from high school. He is fluent in English but I do not know about German. Best of all, they are very professional.

Cömertler Matbaacılık Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş.
Davutpaşa Cad. Merkezefendi Sok. No:4
34020 Topkapı, İstanbul

Tel : +90 212 613 41 60 Pbx
Faks: +90 21
... See more
Dear Christiane,

Here is a good matbaa on the Asian side of Istanbul. The owner Attila Cömert is one of my classmates from high school. He is fluent in English but I do not know about German. Best of all, they are very professional.

Cömertler Matbaacılık Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş.
Davutpaşa Cad. Merkezefendi Sok. No:4
34020 Topkapı, İstanbul

Tel : +90 212 613 41 60 Pbx
Faks: +90 212 567 74 86 - 493 36 84
E-Mail: [email protected]

www.comertler.com.tr

By the way, Istanbul is such a big city that being on the same side does not guarantee being close. Just wanted you to know before you drive/go there.

[Edited at 2013-06-21 09:50 GMT]
Collapse

Christiane Özmen-Flor
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great! Jun 21, 2013

Thank you very much!

Christiane Özmen-Flor
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes ... Jun 21, 2013

Thanks, ... and traffic is horrible, I know.

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:55
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Correction Jun 21, 2013

Christiane, sorry. That matbaa is on the European side, not the Asian side. My mistake.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:55
Hebrew to English
I wouldn't mind if my accountant was on the European side.... Jun 21, 2013

I used to live in Istanbul (Kozyatağı - Asian side) and I loved getting the ferry from Kadıköy to Eminönü and back again. If I were you, I'd probably get an accountant on the other side just to make the trip

Gül Kaya
Gül Kaya  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Turkish to English
+ ...
Absolutely Jun 21, 2013

Ty Kendall wrote:

I used to live in Istanbul (Kozyatağı - Asian side) and I loved getting the ferry from Kadıköy to Eminönü and back again. If I were you, I'd probably get an accountant on the other side just to make the trip

Indeed. A ferry trip across the Bosphorus on a warm summer's day has to be one of the most simple and joyful of life's delights.

Christiane Özmen-Flor
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:)) Jun 21, 2013

Okay! And in winter?

Gül Kaya
Gül Kaya  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Turkish to English
+ ...
A different kettle of fish Jun 21, 2013

Christiane Özmen-Flor wrote:

Okay! And in winter?

) In winter, you wrap up warm, sit inside and drink your tea or sahlep and watch the seagulls following the ferry. Then you get trampled on in the stampede to get out once you reach the other shore. Glorious.

Christiane Özmen-Flor
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I can see Jun 21, 2013

big fans here! So am I actually! Nice meeting you all.

Christiane Özmen-Flor
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Jul 4, 2014

Hi all,

I owe you the end of the story. I have moved here last summer and am working as a freelancer since. So far no problems with customers or tax authorities.

The basic steps for spouses of Turkish citizens are (all of this may change any minute):
Get a residence permit (at the police)
Get a mali müsavir (accountant and tax advisor), meet him/her once or twice to discuss the next steps
Get a work permit (if its a service-oriented mali müsavir h
... See more
Hi all,

I owe you the end of the story. I have moved here last summer and am working as a freelancer since. So far no problems with customers or tax authorities.

The basic steps for spouses of Turkish citizens are (all of this may change any minute):
Get a residence permit (at the police)
Get a mali müsavir (accountant and tax advisor), meet him/her once or twice to discuss the next steps
Get a work permit (if its a service-oriented mali müsavir he will help)
Launch your own company (sahis firmasi, not expensive and quite straightforward); foreigners are not allowed to work as freelancers so far
Receive a tax number and foreigner's citizen no.

Once you have these two numbers you are all set. As you are the owner of a sahis firmasi you need to have your invoice forms printed. The numbers on the invoices will be issued by the tax authority, the printer will get them for you. You will have 3 copies of each invoice (one for the customers, one for you and one for the mali müsavir (i.e. tax authority). The printer knows what needs to be on the invoice. If you have logo etc. you need a designer. Some printers employ designers as well.

You need to stamp and sign every invoice.

Income taxes are horror. You easily reach the highest rate which is 40%. I am crying every day. And there is not much you can deduct.

You don't charge your customers abroad any VAT, this applies to Germany, Switzerland, Great Britain. Any other countries: ask your mali müsavir.

I hope this helps anyone who plans on moving here.

If you have questions, please get in touch.

Christiane
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Istanbul/Asia can you recommend tax advisor/accountant and matbaa?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »