Thread poster: krishna mallick
krishna mallick
krishna mallick
India
Local time: 19:01
Japanese to English
+ ...
May 8, 2002

I have never found a site so useful and enjoying. Whenever I had doubt, clarification, I felt this site trustworthy where I can leverage on for my problems. Even when closing in on deadlines, when my dictionary does not have the accurate meaning and usage, this site provides the very best and precise explanation for terms. As a translator, this is one of the sites that made me think that a translator is an important bridge to fill many gaps.

Many of the translators are very helpful a
... See more
I have never found a site so useful and enjoying. Whenever I had doubt, clarification, I felt this site trustworthy where I can leverage on for my problems. Even when closing in on deadlines, when my dictionary does not have the accurate meaning and usage, this site provides the very best and precise explanation for terms. As a translator, this is one of the sites that made me think that a translator is an important bridge to fill many gaps.

Many of the translators are very helpful and their translations are exact. The questions that I post are a negligible amount of the translations I do, but I regret to mention that some translators remarks are too harsh and sometimes I get mails directly from them to quit the site. Is this required of them? I feel if they are not interested to answer, let them not and the others will answer my questions.
Collapse

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
I think that May 8, 2002

...whoever may send you an e-mail telling you to quit the site is mentally handicapped.

Don\'t worry, this site is also a sample of what you find in the *real* world.

In order to avoid getting unsolicited e-mails, you may delete your e-mail address from your profile.

Good luck and keep on posting your questions. This is what this site has been conceived for.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 09:31
SITE FOUNDER
Please let www.ProZ.com staff know May 8, 2002

Please lett ProZ.com staff know when you receive emails like that. We are committed to maintaing this site as a professional environment. Please send us a Support Request including info re: the sender.

Linda Young (X)
Linda Young (X)
Local time: 15:31
French to English
+ ...
Without Proz.com life can be very difficult May 8, 2002

Not only have I answered or agreed to certain questions posted on Proz, but there are times that I feel that we are a family. Being a freelance translator is not the easiest of careers, but the translators that are part of this site, make the job worthwhile. I cannot imagine anyone sending out \'hate mail\' as such, and if they did well it would be interesting to know why. Just a small thank you to the moderators of this site, and a thank you to all the others that help us meet our deadlines. ... See more
Not only have I answered or agreed to certain questions posted on Proz, but there are times that I feel that we are a family. Being a freelance translator is not the easiest of careers, but the translators that are part of this site, make the job worthwhile. I cannot imagine anyone sending out \'hate mail\' as such, and if they did well it would be interesting to know why. Just a small thank you to the moderators of this site, and a thank you to all the others that help us meet our deadlines. Keep up the good work and the friendship.

Regards

Linda
Collapse

Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:31
German to English
+ ...
Just avoid to appear abusing the system... May 8, 2002

I absoutely agree that this is no place for hate mail or any other kind of rudeness. If you have such problems, I would report any such mail to Henry immediately. We are all professionals and should act like that.

There are no \"stupid\" questions, just sometimes stupid answers, because what is difficult for one person is a snap for the other - and that is the beauty of this site. You have such a condensed expertise that it is sometimes amazing. I had a question concerning a
... See more
I absoutely agree that this is no place for hate mail or any other kind of rudeness. If you have such problems, I would report any such mail to Henry immediately. We are all professionals and should act like that.

There are no \"stupid\" questions, just sometimes stupid answers, because what is difficult for one person is a snap for the other - and that is the beauty of this site. You have such a condensed expertise that it is sometimes amazing. I had a question concerning a very specialized HDD head that I could not find anywhere in the literature or on the net - and got it answered from an engineer, who was involved in the development...

The \"family\" aspect is really the point. I absolutely feel like working with friends who support each other. It is good to see that even the \"KUDOZ giants\" somtimes are at the end of their logic and ASK! I have quite some KUDOZ account myself, but was astonished to find out recently that I have already placed more than 40 questions.

Being a member of this group also creates some responsibilities, though. For example sometimes people try to get a free translation by posting consecutive sentences in the KUDOZ part. We should ignore such abuse or block it. As a professional we should first find out OURSELVES with our own brain, dictionaries and other tools on the Internet and else.

PROZ has also a very good and growing glossary. Look there first.

Only as a last resort we should post questions in the KUDOZ section.

Therefore if you avoid, looking abusive by e.g posting 10 consecutive questions to the same topic, which may look like you wanting US to do YOUR work, there should be no problem at all. The 10 questions may not even cause a problem, if they are really \"tough nuts\" and it is clear that there is a long text you are working at. I had such a case, where I needed some 15 or so very special soccer terms within a text of 25,000 words. I explained it in one sentence at the beginning and did not get even one comment on the amount of questions, just nice help from my friends on this site.

So if in doubt, just give some small explanation, why you are asking that much, and everone will understand and help. We all have sometimes to work in an unfamiliar field, because the job comes from a customer we cannot refuse to.

Keep up the good work and greetings from Yokohama
Collapse

Lydia Molea
Lydia Molea  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I agree with Hans-Henning ... May 9, 2002

This site is really unbeatable when it comes to help. The only kudoZ questions I find annoying are the ones from unregistered persons, who want to avoid paying a translator and post one sentence after the other. As for registered translators ... that is what the KudoZ function is for! Ignore the people who have nothing better to do than get nasty because they don\'t like your questions.

krishna mallick
krishna mallick
India
Local time: 19:01
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for your support henry May 9, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-05-08 17:41, Henry wrote:

Please lett ProZ.com staff know when you receive emails like that. We are committed to maintaing this site as a professional environment. Please send us a Support Request including info re: the sender.

Joseph Milanes Rosacena
Joseph Milanes Rosacena
Spanish to Tagalog
+ ...
The same bad experience I have May 14, 2002

I agree with all of you. One thing that surprises me lately is that I also received an email to abandon this site. I don\'t know if all of you received it but it\'s so alarming. This is an excerpt from the email, see it for yourselves:

\"Folks, this is typical ProZ.com style: insulting people,

creating problems and then ignoring everything. ProZ resembles a \"mafia\" organization, of sorts, where every opposition, no matter how small

it m
... See more
I agree with all of you. One thing that surprises me lately is that I also received an email to abandon this site. I don\'t know if all of you received it but it\'s so alarming. This is an excerpt from the email, see it for yourselves:

\"Folks, this is typical ProZ.com style: insulting people,

creating problems and then ignoring everything. ProZ resembles a \"mafia\" organization, of sorts, where every opposition, no matter how small

it may be, is silenced by the \"mafia enforcers\" (=

certain moderators, not all of them).\"

I do admit there are annoying and sometimes insulting remarks and some even think they have all the answers in the world. Sometimes I just ignore them and carry on with I think is best for this site: contribute and share any knowledge I have to other freelance translators here. Of course, we have different approaches in translating texts or documents as there are many translation theories but what counts is the camaraderie and willingness of each of us to help others in this business. All members and visitors of this site know the Rules of Etiquette, right?
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
May 14, 2002

Quote:

All members and visitors of this site know the Rules of Etiquette, right?

I guess so (at least they should), but unfortunately not all of them adhere to these rules...

ISABEL GUARDERAS (X)
ISABEL GUARDERAS (X)
Local time: 14:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
General Comment Jun 4, 2002

I am a normal member, I mean I don\'t pay for platinum simply because I\'m starting as a translator and can\'t afford it. I have given answers to Kudoz questions which I find very interesting, educating & entertaining. So far, I\'ve never asked any questions, lack of work I suppose. However, it does not surprise me that people would be nasty. Sometimes I have read really bitchy comments shown below the answers.

I have to say, I think there are people who ask really basic questions: ho
... See more
I am a normal member, I mean I don\'t pay for platinum simply because I\'m starting as a translator and can\'t afford it. I have given answers to Kudoz questions which I find very interesting, educating & entertaining. So far, I\'ve never asked any questions, lack of work I suppose. However, it does not surprise me that people would be nasty. Sometimes I have read really bitchy comments shown below the answers.

I have to say, I think there are people who ask really basic questions: how do you say in Spanish \'I love you\' or even \'hello\'. There are also those who abuse: I\'ve seen people asking for long paragraphs or sending 10 questions on the same day and you can tell from the context that it\'s almost one sentence after another.

I think it\'s unnecessary to be nasty, the world is nasty enough as it is, why not be nice to each other? Let\'s ignore annoying questions and that\'s that. Finally I have to say that reading this forum has put me a wee bit off asking in the future because I don\'t pay. Take care all.

Isabel.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No difference in using KudoZ Jun 4, 2002

Hi Isabel,

There is no difference whatsover between paying and non-paying members as far as asking and/or answering KudoZ questions is concerned. Premium or Platinum membership provides you with some more exposure in the Jobs section, as well as some additional functions. There are very active members (with years of translation experience) who have decided not to upgrade to paid membership status. (My decision to \"go Platinum\" was driven by my wish to support the site rather than go
... See more
Hi Isabel,

There is no difference whatsover between paying and non-paying members as far as asking and/or answering KudoZ questions is concerned. Premium or Platinum membership provides you with some more exposure in the Jobs section, as well as some additional functions. There are very active members (with years of translation experience) who have decided not to upgrade to paid membership status. (My decision to \"go Platinum\" was driven by my wish to support the site rather than go for jobs, BTW.) Does that make them second-class translators or terminologists? Far from it.

Please do not hesitate to contribute to the site (and yes, questions asked are contributions, too!) - and if you feel someone doesn\'t treat you fair, do contact the moderator for the language pair involved (there\'s a link at the bottom of each KudoZ question) - both your language pairs are moderated.
Collapse

Jay
Jay
United States
Local time: 08:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
I am also a victim of the rudeness... Aug 2, 2002

I must say, I am starting (I just posted some topics just in case somebody wants to give me a hand) and I have been also a victim of the rudeness. I remember one day somebody was so incredibly mean to me that I shut down my computer and cried! I don\'t know if you had the same feeling I had, but the only thing I had in my mind was a question, should I stop translating? Maybe I am too sensitive but rudeness and cruelty make me feel down. Anyway, there are also angels who help you go on. Thank you... See more
I must say, I am starting (I just posted some topics just in case somebody wants to give me a hand) and I have been also a victim of the rudeness. I remember one day somebody was so incredibly mean to me that I shut down my computer and cried! I don\'t know if you had the same feeling I had, but the only thing I had in my mind was a question, should I stop translating? Maybe I am too sensitive but rudeness and cruelty make me feel down. Anyway, there are also angels who help you go on. Thank you all.Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Don't shut down your computer... Aug 3, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-08-02 20:25, BpdMac wrote:

I must say, I am starting (I just posted some topics just in case somebody wants to give me a hand) and I have been also a victim of the rudeness. I remember one day somebody was so incredibly mean to me that I shut down my computer and cried!

...and don\'t stop translating - certainly not because of someone\'s inability to behave in a civilised way.

<... See more
Quote:

On 2002-08-02 20:25, BpdMac wrote:

I must say, I am starting (I just posted some topics just in case somebody wants to give me a hand) and I have been also a victim of the rudeness. I remember one day somebody was so incredibly mean to me that I shut down my computer and cried!

...and don\'t stop translating - certainly not because of someone\'s inability to behave in a civilised way.

I can only repeat: contact the moderator(s). We will try to instil some sense of understanding; failing that, we have a range of tools available to ensure compliance with this site\'s rules, as well as with generally accepted norms of human behaviour. ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

some translators are extremely rude

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »