translating this particular author
Thread poster: pievelna
pievelna
pievelna
United Kingdom
Jun 23, 2014

I want to translate a writer who has been dead since 1950, so it's very close to 70 years (which is the duration of copyright in his country)

How difficult could it be to obtain all the rights etc.? The writer is not famous anywhere except his native country, so it's not like people are fighting to translate him.

I have no official training in translating, or the language I want to translate from, no relevant experience etc. etc. Would it be possible for me to obtain t
... See more
I want to translate a writer who has been dead since 1950, so it's very close to 70 years (which is the duration of copyright in his country)

How difficult could it be to obtain all the rights etc.? The writer is not famous anywhere except his native country, so it's not like people are fighting to translate him.

I have no official training in translating, or the language I want to translate from, no relevant experience etc. etc. Would it be possible for me to obtain the rights, or should I even not bother trying, at least not for the next 6-7 years?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translating this particular author

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »