Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:31
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
The way you write Aug 11, 2014

Just my two cents: writing in short forms like "tho" for though and "o' them" for "of them" (which is totally unnecessary by the way) could have seeped into your emails when you are quoting your potential customers. These serve as testimony to your level of English or perhaps your manner of speaking. Running the risk of sounding harsh, when I outsource my projects, when I see emails using informal language, it's an automatic no for me. The reason for saying no is because I either interpret that ... See more
Just my two cents: writing in short forms like "tho" for though and "o' them" for "of them" (which is totally unnecessary by the way) could have seeped into your emails when you are quoting your potential customers. These serve as testimony to your level of English or perhaps your manner of speaking. Running the risk of sounding harsh, when I outsource my projects, when I see emails using informal language, it's an automatic no for me. The reason for saying no is because I either interpret that as i. lack of thorough understanding of formal business English or perhaps unaware of the right context needed or ii. outright carelessness, which isn't exactly a trait you look for in any type of collaboration.

You've received some excellent feedback from veterans of this community and I see that you have now switched over to translating into your native language instead of English. That's a good move.

I've noticed in your profile that you mentioned that you taught yourself Russian. If you are able to study this language via some accredited university/college/education institution, chances are that'll fortify your client's trust.
Collapse

Cristiano Lima
Cristiano Lima
Brazil
Local time: 20:31
Russian to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Forums Aug 11, 2014

Rita Pang wrote:

Just my two cents: writing in short forms like "tho" for though and "o' them" for "of them" (which is totally unnecessary by the way) could have seeped into your emails when you are quoting your potential customers. These serve as testimony to your level of English or perhaps your manner of speaking. Running the risk of sounding harsh, when I outsource my projects, when I see emails using informal language, it's an automatic no for me. The reason for saying no is because I either interpret that as i. lack of thorough understanding of formal business English or perhaps unaware of the right context needed or ii. outright carelessness, which isn't exactly a trait you look for in any type of collaboration.

You've received some excellent feedback from veterans of this community and I see that you have now switched over to translating into your native language instead of English. That's a good move.

I've noticed in your profile that you mentioned that you taught yourself Russian. If you are able to study this language via some accredited university/college/education institution, chances are that'll fortify your client's trust.

I presume that forums are a less formal channel of communication.

I'm one of the two users who work with Rus-Port pair at this site. The quality of my Russian is not perfect, but recognized even outside Proz by diplomats, directors of construction and security companies, FSO, Brazilian Federal Police... There are no institutions that teach Russian close to my city and give you a certificate, but I have a wide network able to help me or review my works. (My last one was the translation of a page into Russian, reviewed by Russians)

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 00:31
Danish to English
+ ...
Oh dear Aug 12, 2014

Hi Cristiano

Somebody else gave you this advice, but I would dare to repeat it: ditch the Portuguese to English translation sample from your profile. It is terrible! I'm sorry to say this, but that is the truth. You have already deleted the Portuguese into English language combination from your offers, so why keep this dreadful example of a hopeless translation on your profile page? It will not help you attract any clients at all, on the contrary, it may even discourage clients from
... See more
Hi Cristiano

Somebody else gave you this advice, but I would dare to repeat it: ditch the Portuguese to English translation sample from your profile. It is terrible! I'm sorry to say this, but that is the truth. You have already deleted the Portuguese into English language combination from your offers, so why keep this dreadful example of a hopeless translation on your profile page? It will not help you attract any clients at all, on the contrary, it may even discourage clients from approaching you for work in other language combinations, as they will think you are not aware of what it means to deliver a professional translation.

Sorry to be so blunt...

Gitte

[Edited at 2014-08-12 05:14 GMT]
Collapse

Cristiano Lima
Cristiano Lima
Brazil
Russian to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lack of time Aug 12, 2014

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:

Hi Cristiano

Somebody else gave you this advice, but I would dare to repeat it: ditch the Portuguese to English translation sample from your profile. It is terrible! I'm sorry to say this, but that is the truth. You have already deleted the Portuguese into English language combination from your offers, so why keep this dreadful example of a hopeless translation on your profile page? It will not help you attract any clients at all, on the contrary, it may even discourage clients from approaching you for work in other language combinations, as they will think you are not aware of what it means to deliver a professional translation.

Sorry to be so blunt...

Gitte

[Edited at 2014-08-12 05:14 GMT]

I lacked of time to do it, since I got many offers from my pairs listed.

This article was poorly written even in Portuguese. That explains why the journalist writes only to sports page. I translated it only to present to my Finnish friend, she gave the interview together with me and can't speak any Portuguese.

[Edited at 2014-08-12 05:40 GMT]

Rita Pang
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Informal does not equate to incorrect Aug 12, 2014

Cristiano Lima wrote:

I presume that forums are a less formal channel of communication.

I'm one of the two users who work with Rus-Port pair at this site. The quality of my Russian is not perfect, but recognized even outside Proz by diplomats, directors of construction and security companies, FSO, Brazilian Federal Police... There are no institutions that teach Russian close to my city and give you a certificate, but I have a wide network able to help me or review my works. (My last one was the translation of a page into Russian, reviewed by Russians)

Informal is totally okay, but this is also a forum where most participants are individuals who work with languages on a daily basis. Perhaps it's just me being a grammar nazi and I'll apologize in advance for being blunt, but I'd think you should avoid mistakes whenever possible, in particular when something like "o' " is honestly not in need of any abbreviation unless you speak in the manner of "remember those good ol' times?".

I think it's great that you have capitalized on this relatively rare language pair. However, just bear in mind one thing - it's always, always helpful to have authentic proof to your abilities. If you can't get paperwork for it, get reference letters. Get people to leave you testimonials on your LinkedIn profile, etc. Sometimes, your mentioning your previous work experience simply isn't enough to attest your skills, and it'll suck to fall short of being considered as a candidate for service provision simply because you can't prove you've really got what it takes to do the job.

Honestly speaking with the advent of internet I fail to see why you cannot get yourself some sort of formal schooling via an online program of Russian language learning, with an accredited university or educational institution.

Cristiano Lima
Cristiano Lima
Brazil
Russian to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agreed Aug 17, 2014

Rita Pang wrote:

Informal is totally okay, but this is also a forum where most participants are individuals who work with languages on a daily basis. Perhaps it's just me being a grammar nazi and I'll apologize in advance for being blunt, but I'd think you should avoid mistakes whenever possible, in particular when something like "o' " is honestly not in need of any abbreviation unless you speak in the manner of "remember those good ol' times?".

I think it's great that you have capitalized on this relatively rare language pair. However, just bear in mind one thing - it's always, always helpful to have authentic proof to your abilities. If you can't get paperwork for it, get reference letters. Get people to leave you testimonials on your LinkedIn profile, etc. Sometimes, your mentioning your previous work experience simply isn't enough to attest your skills, and it'll suck to fall short of being considered as a candidate for service provision simply because you can't prove you've really got what it takes to do the job.

Honestly speaking with the advent of internet I fail to see why you cannot get yourself some sort of formal schooling via an online program of Russian language learning, with an accredited university or educational institution.

Greetings Rita!

You were not blunt, all the advices are properly considered here. Lately I got a lot of offers and I don't suppose that it was "merely luck".

On certifications, I have all of them well documented, nothing at my CVs are inventions, however I don't post them at Proz for a few reasons:

1- If I understood properly, only text documents can be posted, no pictures of my certifications. I'm slowly discovering the resources of this site, for instance, not a long time ago I discovered that it has a calendar showing that you are available for a job.
2- Translating is not everything that I do, I also write articles on political issues, a good way to make friends but also a great way to make foes and even get harassed by trolls. Hence, I don't display certain information, I prefer to keep a low profile and hide some data for security reasons.
3- I make it clear that all the information given are backed by documents and I can send them if requested.
4- Usually, perhaps I am wrong, most of companies don't check Proz page. Evidences? It's common that they ask for my CV, despite that it's available at my page to outsourcers. They ask about prices, despite that they are already written at my profile. (That explains in part why some data was not changed soon after some advices)
5- I deeply admire your culture, I practice gong fu and chi kung and as a famous leader of your wonderful Zhong Guo once said, "it doesn't matter whether a cat is white or black, as long as it catches mice". Since I noticed that most of companies don't ask for certificates, then I warn them that I can send them if they request it, but usually they don't request it. Still, I get new jobs, so I don't see a reason to get worried about it.

On Russian formal schools, when I met a diplomat from Russian consulate in São Paulo, she told me that unfortunately she does not know any school in Brazil that grants any certification in Russian language, and I never found it available at internet. However, most of Russian companies of translations promote an exam on Russian language.

[Edited at 2014-08-17 18:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-08-17 18:31 GMT]

Mark Sanderson
Mark Sanderson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:31
Chinese to English
I'm knackered Aug 18, 2014

After having a job every day of the week for the past nearly week and a half (9 days in total) I am inclined to think that maybe a job every day of the week is not all it is cracked up to be - I need a break!

My eyes, back and wrists are saw; my wife is mad at me for not spending time with her on the weekend; and over the last few days I have been sick of translating.

Obviously, doing 9 days in a row is neither sustainable nor what most professional translators do. I ce
... See more
After having a job every day of the week for the past nearly week and a half (9 days in total) I am inclined to think that maybe a job every day of the week is not all it is cracked up to be - I need a break!

My eyes, back and wrists are saw; my wife is mad at me for not spending time with her on the weekend; and over the last few days I have been sick of translating.

Obviously, doing 9 days in a row is neither sustainable nor what most professional translators do. I certainly won't be doing it again.

I know that bills need to be paid etc etc, my current point of view is that 3 or 4 days a week would be sufficient.

(Watch as I now enter into the longest dry spell ever seen on these fine boards!)
Collapse

Rita Pang
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
... Aug 18, 2014

1- If I understood properly, only text documents can be posted, no pictures of my certifications. I'm slowly discovering the resources of this site, for instance, not a long time ago I discovered that it has a calendar showing that you are available for a job.
3- I make it clear that all the information given are backed by documents and I can send them if requested.

Yes, that's a good idea. I think most participants in Proz would agree that it is NOT wise to put up photos of your diploma anyway for proprietary reasons. You can always just mention it in your profile and tell people it's available for reference.

4- Usually, perhaps I am wrong, most of companies don't check Proz page. Evidences? It's common that they ask for my CV, despite that it's available at my page to outsourcers. They ask about prices, despite that they are already written at my profile. (That explains in part why some data was not changed soon after some advices)

You're both right and wrong about this. Depending on the agency/end client, Proz is often referred to quite frequently. A lot of PMs constantly browse Proz' search forms to look up new service providers. Despite the fact that it's a one-pager here, you might want to perfect it for the very reason that one of your potential clients might just base their entire impression off of what they are seeing on Proz. Of course, you'll always get your share of clients who couldn't care less about any profile you have online.

Lately I got a lot of offers and I don't suppose that it was "merely luck".

Look, a little modesty goes a long way. You have been forewarned via previous posts. We are not trying to attack you you know, simply offering suggestions to your question here at the forum.

As for Russian language certification, who said I was talking about schools in Brazil? If anything, would you not agree that distance-learning programs completed at a Russian University via an online module offers equal weight to your qualifications?

[Edited at 2014-08-18 22:47 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to have a job everyday? Any advice?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »