Thread poster: CatsAndHuman
LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:03
Russian to English
+ ...
I think you may be able to do it. Aug 21, 2014

Work on your source and target language--it is not enough, in my opinion, to just understand the source language more or less--you have to be completely fluent in it as well. Then, work on your writing style in your target language, read a few books on translation and start doing translations for yourself--translate newspaper articles, book excerpts, food recipes--anything. Then, then when you are satisfied with your translations, show them to someone who can evaluate them.

Never t
... See more
Work on your source and target language--it is not enough, in my opinion, to just understand the source language more or less--you have to be completely fluent in it as well. Then, work on your writing style in your target language, read a few books on translation and start doing translations for yourself--translate newspaper articles, book excerpts, food recipes--anything. Then, then when you are satisfied with your translations, show them to someone who can evaluate them.

Never train on translations for the clients and do not work for low rates. When you feel comfortable with translating, request regular rates, the same as all experienced translators. It will take you at least twice as long to translate the text as what it will take a very experienced translator--perhaps even three times as long.
Collapse

Paulette Romero
Paulette Romero  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 03:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
You don't always need a degree Aug 23, 2014

If I had to guess I'd say at least half the forum members probably don't have translation degrees, but many have degrees in a related field such as a language. My suggestion would be to look up translation certificate programs in Russia, perhaps you can find one that is online/distance learning and you can at least learn the basics of translation. In the alternative you may want to consider getting a bachelor's degree in English and/or Russian so you have a firm grasp on both languages.
... See more
If I had to guess I'd say at least half the forum members probably don't have translation degrees, but many have degrees in a related field such as a language. My suggestion would be to look up translation certificate programs in Russia, perhaps you can find one that is online/distance learning and you can at least learn the basics of translation. In the alternative you may want to consider getting a bachelor's degree in English and/or Russian so you have a firm grasp on both languages.

What kind of work experience do you have? Many translators started off doing something else, such as teaching, working as a doctor or nurse or even a lawyer and they specialize in translating texts of that nature (educational, medical and legal). Do you have real world experience that you can use to specialize in a certain field? Things to consider.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

100% unexperienced

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »