Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:24
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Sorry, but you're wrong Nov 10, 2014

Vladislav. wrote:

For those who do not have much experience and formal education in translation, there must be some “safe” ways of getting established in the translation industry, without a great financial loss.

You study first, invest (!) your time and money to acquire the necessary skills and then you establish yourself in your chosen field. The cost of a DipTrans is far lower than the cost of an MA degree in translation which can cost you between £5,000 and £8,000. Education is never a financial loss.

Vladislav.
Vladislav.

Local time: 08:24
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Costs Nov 11, 2014

The cost of higher education is definitely high, especially in the US and UK. And that education can prepare a person for the DipTrans examination (which is not recommended for those who are without a degree and much experience). Perhaps there are persons who managed to establish themselves in the translation business without a degree.

Jolanta Grigg
Jolanta Grigg  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:24
English to Polish
+ ...
Russian distanse learning Dec 15, 2014

I know for sure that the University of Portsmouth does distance learning MA in Translation in Russian. Have you contacted them?

Vladislav.
Vladislav.

Local time: 08:24
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
University of Portsmouth Dec 16, 2014

Yes, I contacted the University of Portsmouth some time ago. Since I don't have a BA degree, I cannot enroll in its MA studies (which is also quite costly for those who live in Russia).

I am planning to take a short course in interpreting from a local university, since there are no such courses in translation. Does anyone know whether it will be possible to find some translation work with a certificate in interpreting only?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translatior's Credentials

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »