Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:40
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Starting to go off on a tangent Feb 22, 2015

Angie Garbarino wrote:
but now no, you are showing discrimination about nationality now.
NO... NO... and NO

And we are entering areas that are only tangentially related to the original poster's question about setting up as a freelancer in Italy.

It may be worth leaving the thread here rather than diverting it into a potentially noisy discussion about the characteristics of the Italian people, a discussion that I'm pretty sure would do nothing to change the opinions that the respective participants have already formed.

Regards
Dan

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:40
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Yes Feb 22, 2015

Dan Lucas wrote:

Angie Garbarino wrote:
but now no, you are showing discrimination about nationality now.
NO... NO... and NO

And we are entering areas that are only tangentially related to the original poster's question about setting up as a freelancer in Italy.

It may be worth leaving the thread here rather than diverting it into a potentially noisy discussion about the characteristics of the Italian people, a discussion that I'm pretty sure would do nothing to change the opinions that the respective participants have already formed.

Regards
Dan

But there things that must not be said... and discrimination about nationality is one of them, so as Italian I feel very disappointed and I leave.

thanks

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
No country is without its strengths and weaknesses Feb 22, 2015

Angie Garbarino wrote:
so as Italian I feel very disappointed and I leave.

Angie, I think that expatriates everywhere have complex relationships with "their" countries, often with a pronounced love/hate element. For example my feelings for Japan and the Japanese are certainly complicated and I have no doubt that when Italians meet up in the UK they spend a certain amount of time grumbling together about life in Britain - and that's natural.

Whatever the merits of Tom's specific comments a couple of posts ago, it is clear from his other remarks earlier in this thread that he also has a deep affection and admiration for many aspects of Italian life and culture.

Regards
Dan

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Sorry Feb 22, 2015

The word "everyone" used is discrimination about people, words have their meanings.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Thanks Dan Feb 22, 2015

Dan Lucas wrote:

Whatever the merits of Tom's specific comments a couple of posts ago, it is clear from his other remarks earlier in this thread that he also has a deep affection and admiration for many aspects of Italian life and culture.

Regards
Dan

Of course.

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Pot, kettle, black... Feb 23, 2015

Oh really?

Angie, you don't think the sentence below (see: http://www.proz.com/forum/italian/281999-consigli_imposte_per_traduttore_in_italia-page2.html) is a grossly generalised statement, do you?

Praticamente tasse tipo Danimarca con servizi scadentissimi. (Taxes as high as in Denmark for abysmal services.)

Angie Garbarino wrote:

There also many honest people in Italy,I cannot accept this statement, as long as we discuss the fiscal system and other political related issues, ok.. but now no, you are showing discrimination about nationality now.

NO... NO... and NO

[Edited at 2015-02-22 13:36 GMT]

I don't like Italy, in fact, I dislike it intensely; I could even hate it, should I be bothered enough to... But there's no denying that the overall quality of services there is not that awful. Not always, not everywhere.

George, if you are to go to Italy, brace yourself. Be prepared, be aware, be careful but don't be scared.

You may even be in for some pleasant surprises. Good luck!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Everything but Feb 23, 2015

missdutch wrote:

You may even be in for some pleasant surprises. Good luck!

You will like everything *except the bureaucracy, which is a form of torture*. If Italy could get this sorted out it would be the best country in the world. I've sometimes thought that if the day-to-day administration of Italy (but not anything else) could be outsourced to neighbouring Switzerland, the perfect society would have been achieved. Goethe's observation that "Italy is a paradise inhabited by devils" could finally be set aside.

[Edited at 2015-02-23 10:13 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
No I dont Feb 23, 2015

missdutch wrote:

Oh really?

Angie, you don't think the sentence below (see: http://www.proz.com/forum/italian/281999-consigli_imposte_per_traduttore_in_italia-page2.html) is a grossly generalised statement, do you?

Praticamente tasse tipo Danimarca con servizi scadentissimi. (Taxes as high as in Denmark for abysmal services.)

Moreover scadentissimi is very poor NOT abysmal, and I know them very well. Sorry if you do not agree, I just do not agree with that statement about Italians.

Generalization is not discrimination.

For the rest I cannot reply because I do not understand your post.

[Edited at 2015-02-23 17:01 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Elena Lezheva
Elena Lezheva
Italy
English to Russian
+ ...
taxation & other costs involved in setting up in Italy Feb 25, 2015

Hello George,

I have not read all the answers above. They might have already answered your questions. However, I would like to share with you a response to similar questions given by a professional accountant.

I translated her response into English below.

You have to register as a VAT-payer and communicate a code of a TRANSLATOR as your activity. Then

- you will be charged VAT at 22% rate
- you will have to make a certain reserve that
... See more
Hello George,

I have not read all the answers above. They might have already answered your questions. However, I would like to share with you a response to similar questions given by a professional accountant.

You have to register as a VAT-payer and communicate a code of a TRANSLATOR as your activity. Then

- you will have to make a certain reserve that is called "ritenuta d'acconto" of 20% of your income
- you will have to maintain simplified accounting with an application of so-called "regime di tassazione a scaglioni irpef" that provied for paying a lieast 23% of the tax irpef
- you will need to pay VAT every quarther respecting the following deadlines 16/5 - 20/8 - 16/11/ - 16/5
- IRAP will apply also (In LOMBARDIA DEL 3,90% from net earnings subject to IRAP)
- you will be a subject to sector studies (statistics used by the Italian equivalent of the IRS to estimate the income of a business)

Hope it was at least somewhat helpful.

Elena
Collapse

Cecilia Civetta
Cecilia Civetta  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Ok but... Feb 25, 2015

Elena,
let me add 30% INPS (which applies to Gross total income!)

Elena Lezheva wrote:

Hello George,

- you will have to make a certain reserve that is called "ritenuta d'acconto" of 20% of your income
- you will have to maintain simplified accounting with an application of so-called "regime di tassazione a scaglioni irpef" that provied for paying a lieast 23% of the tax irpef
- you will need to pay VAT every quarther respecting the following deadlines 16/5 - 20/8 - 16/11/ - 16/5
- IRAP will apply also (In LOMBARDIA DEL 3,90% from net earnings subject to IRAP)
- you will be a subject to sector studies (statistics used by the Italian equivalent of the IRS to estimate the income of a business)

Hope it was at least somewhat helpful.

Elena

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested editions not made.
Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:40
Member (2009)
French to English
Reminder Feb 25, 2015

Hi, this is one of your friendly Moderators speaking. Please try to keep the discussion civil and in particular keep in mind rule #2:

http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/2#2
In particular, ..."Harassment of, or attacks or ad hominem statements on, individuals or groups, of any form, as well as discouragement of another's use of the site, will not be tolerated...."

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Setting up as a freelancer in Italy

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »