Thread poster: katherinehache
Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Too many assumtions May 8, 2015

However, isn't Canada different? It has two official languages in English and French, and all official communications are done in both languages as a legal requirement. I don't know much about the schooling system there, but I expect (if India is any example to go by), both the official languages are taught to kids there at an early age, giving them an opportunity to become bilingual in these two languages.

With all my respect for Canadians, not even 5% in the French speaking Canada are bilingual.

It is good practice to judge based on hard evidence or personal experience. I too have opinions about, say, Florida but have not been there and cannot tell you how the stuff is done there, what language they speak and at what level. Therefore, I will keep my opinion for myself, until I have a chance to go there.

Assuming that either Canadians or Belgians are bilingual just for the sake of it is very far from the reality.

I also very much disagree with your statement that a good translator should translate both ways. I think we are oversimplifying human brain and skills it can acquire.

By the way, 99% of French speaking Canadians I met there spoke notoriously worse English than I did (and I am certainly not near native speaker of the English language, by far not). Some, in fact, did could not utter a phrase in English and I had to use my poor French, which is by the way very different from "their" French; especially the accent and vocabulary).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is a second degree worth it?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »