Thread poster: Gaurav Sharma
Gaurav Sharma
Gaurav Sharma  Identity Verified
India
French to English
+ ...
May 21, 2015

Dear All,
I am looking forward to register myself for an online MA (translation) program but not sure about good universities or institutions having international recognition and other details. I wish to do it in French to English language and request you all to suggest me.
Waiting for your valuable advices
Gaurav Sharma

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:52
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
U.S. News & World Report May 21, 2015

You can check out the rankings of schools here.

www.usnews.com

Whitney Maslak
Whitney Maslak
United States
Local time: 01:52
German to English
NYU Jun 13, 2015

NYU offers an online MS in Translation program in your language pair. I completed their Professional Certificate program for translation and I thought their courses were very good (of course, the Mast... See more
NYU offers an online MS in Translation program in your language pair. I completed their Professional Certificate program for translation and I thought their courses were very good (of course, the Master's program would be different).

http://www.scps.nyu.edu/academics/departments/foreign-languages/academic-offerings/ms-in-translation.html
Collapse

Jeffrey Henson
Jeffrey Henson
France
Local time: 09:52
Member (2015)
French to English
Menéndez Pelayo International University Jun 16, 2015

Might be worth a look...

The academic program relating to distance learning (online) program for the "Master's Degree in Translation and New Technologies: Translation of Software and Multimedia Products" has both theoretical and practical components.
http://www.mastradumatica.com/en/distance-learning.php

1. MASTER'S DEGREE IN TRANSLATION AND NEW TECH
... See more
Might be worth a look...

The academic program relating to distance learning (online) program for the "Master's Degree in Translation and New Technologies: Translation of Software and Multimedia Products" has both theoretical and practical components.

1. MASTER'S DEGREE IN TRANSLATION AND NEW TECHNOLOGIES. The Master's Degree in Translation and New Technologies: Translation of Software and Multimedia Products is an official state recognised Master's Degree from the Menéndez Pelayo International University, verified on July 9, 2014 by the National Agency for Quality Assessment and Accreditation of Spain (Agencia Nacional de Evaluación de la Calidad y la Acreditación), ANECA, from the Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture, and Sport. This Master's Degree is offered by the Menéndez Pelayo International University in collaboration with Amergin (The University Institute of Research in Irish Studies, University of A Coruña) and Istrad (Instituto Superior de Estudios Lingüísticos and Translation based in Seville).

2. OBJECTIVES. The main objective of the Master's Degree in Translation and New Technologies: Translation of Software and Multimedia Products is to offer university graduates detailed and specific training in the techniques used in localization, relating to both the translation stage itself and also to the use of the industry's most important software. The Master's Degree is essentially of a practical nature and consists of 60 ECTS credits with each credit being equivalent to 25 teaching hours.

3. LANGUAGES USED. The languages used in the Master's Degree in Translation and New Technologies: Translation of Software and Multimedia Products are the following: Catalan, Spanish, Basque, Galician, English, Italian, German and French. Applicants can choose two out of these eight languages to focus on and will be given a specific study program for their desired combination of languages. In addition to this, in order to complete tasks for the Master’s, the student must be able to translate from English to Spanish as his or her target language.
Collapse

Gaurav Sharma
Gaurav Sharma  Identity Verified
India
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to you all Jun 16, 2015

Many thanks for your support.

Regarding NYU, I had already contacted them and found that the fees are very expensive. It is beyond my budget.

Considering second link:-"Translation of Software and Multimedia Product" it is very specific. My working fields are Business, Finance and Commerce hence it would be better if I do My Master in these fields only.

Again Many thanks Jeff, Atil and Whitney for your great support. These links helped me a lot. Looking forw
... See more
Many thanks for your support.

Regarding NYU, I had already contacted them and found that the fees are very expensive. It is beyond my budget.

Considering second link:-"Translation of Software and Multimedia Product" it is very specific. My working fields are Business, Finance and Commerce hence it would be better if I do My Master in these fields only.

Again Many thanks Jeff, Atil and Whitney for your great support. These links helped me a lot. Looking forward to find a suitable institution. Once I will find it out, I will surely update here.

Kind Regards
Collapse

Mollie Milesi
Mollie Milesi  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Very interesting. Do you have information about the cost? Jun 16, 2015

Jeff Henson wrote:

Might be worth a look...

1. MASTER'S DEGREE IN TRANSLATION AND NEW TECHNOLOGIES. The Master's Degree in Translation and New Technologies: Translation of Software and Multimedia Products is an official state recognised Master's Degree from the Menéndez Pelayo International University, verified on July 9, 2014 by the National Agency for Quality Assessment and Accreditation of Spain (Agencia Nacional de Evaluación de la Calidad y la Acreditación), ANECA, from the Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture, and Sport. This Master's Degree is offered by the Menéndez Pelayo International University in collaboration with Amergin (The University Institute of Research in Irish Studies, University of A Coruña) and Istrad (Instituto Superior de Estudios Lingüísticos and Translation based in Seville).

2. OBJECTIVES. The main objective of the Master's Degree in Translation and New Technologies: Translation of Software and Multimedia Products is to offer university graduates detailed and specific training in the techniques used in localization, relating to both the translation stage itself and also to the use of the industry's most important software. The Master's Degree is essentially of a practical nature and consists of 60 ECTS credits with each credit being equivalent to 25 teaching hours.

3. LANGUAGES USED. The languages used in the Master's Degree in Translation and New Technologies: Translation of Software and Multimedia Products are the following: Catalan, Spanish, Basque, Galician, English, Italian, German and French. Applicants can choose two out of these eight languages to focus on and will be given a specific study program for their desired combination of languages. In addition to this, in order to complete tasks for the Master’s, the student must be able to translate from English to Spanish as his or her target language.

Thank you for this information and link. It looks like an interesting programme, but I cannot find any information about costs. Would you know what the tuition fees are, by any chance? Thank you!

Jeffrey Henson
Jeffrey Henson
France
Local time: 09:52
Member (2015)
French to English
Menéndez Pelayo International University: Cost of online MA program Jun 16, 2015

maggiemw wrote:

Thank you for this information and link. It looks like an interesting programme, but I cannot find any information about costs. Would you know what the tuition fees are, by any chance? Thank you!

Hi Maggie !

http://www.mastradumatica.com/en/programme-outline.php

REGISTRATION FEES AND METHODS OF PAYMENT. The total cost of the master's degree is 1,720.00 Euros. The total cost of the degree can be paid all at once or in four instalments in the following way:

Registration in the program 430,00 euros
May 2016 430,00 euros
November 2016 430,00
May 2017 430,00

In addition to registration fees, the student must also pay a fee of 37.09 Euros directly to Menéndez Pelayo International University to create the student’s academic file.

Good luck !
PS: If you decide to go through with the program I would love to have some feedback from you as I am considering this program myself.

Mollie Milesi
Mollie Milesi  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Thank you, Jeff! Jun 16, 2015

Jeff Henson wrote:

Good luck !
PS: If you decide to go through with the program I would love to have some feedback from you as I am considering this program myself.

Thanks, Jeff! I'll definitely let you know. The course costs are really quite reasonable, and the content looks motivating. I haven't made up my mind yet as to whether I want to do any more 'formal' translation training at this stage in my life, but upgrading skills and exploring new areas are always a good thing.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MA in translation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »