Thread poster: Robert Long
Laura Tridico
Laura Tridico  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:33
French to English
+ ...
Just to back up what Thomas says above... Jun 18, 2015

and to be sure I was clear - it is a very, very bad idea to attempt to work in a foreign country without having a visa that authorises you to work.

Too often, freelancers believe that, so long as they are working less than XX days per year in a given country, and receiving payments their home country, they are all set. Nope - if your visa does not authorise work, it means you can't legally work. And you might be violating a number of tax laws as well.

Obviously, everyon
... See more
and to be sure I was clear - it is a very, very bad idea to attempt to work in a foreign country without having a visa that authorises you to work.

Too often, freelancers believe that, so long as they are working less than XX days per year in a given country, and receiving payments their home country, they are all set. Nope - if your visa does not authorise work, it means you can't legally work. And you might be violating a number of tax laws as well.

Obviously, everyone has mobile devices and laptops, so I assume that immigration departments aren't wasting their time running from hotel to hotel, making sure people aren't reviewing documents, taking conference calls, drafting reports, etc. Remote work is a grey area that hasn't been legislated, and there's probably no need to do so. But at some point, the line is crossed, and there is a clear intent to work and reside in the country without a proper visa. If caught, you're going to have real problems.

Plus, if translators work without a proper visa, they can't hold themselves out as translators, take part in professional associations, market themselves, etc. without increasing the risk of getting caught. This is not a way to manage one's career, IMO.

So back to the question - there are 28 countries in Europe to consider (and potentially others outside the EU). Start doing your research. Find different visa programs that would allow you to work. Malta might be too expensive, but there are other possibilities. Once you're set up legally in one European country, see where things go from there.
Collapse

2GT
2GT  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:33
English to Italian
+ ...
What about France or Portugal? Jun 18, 2015

I know you didn't consider it, but you could choose also some European territories belonging to France and Portugal which are not so far from the US.

Azores (Portugal) is almost half way between US and Europe and Martinique and Guadeloupe (France) are even closer in the Caribbean Sea.

As others wrote, every European country has its own immigration rules.
All countries respect general EU rules about visas.
See
... See more
I know you didn't consider it, but you could choose also some European territories belonging to France and Portugal which are not so far from the US.

Azores (Portugal) is almost half way between US and Europe and Martinique and Guadeloupe (France) are even closer in the Caribbean Sea.

As others wrote, every European country has its own immigration rules.
See also:
http://ec.europa.eu/immigration/do-i-need-a-visa_en

Cheers
Gianni
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:33
Danish to English
+ ...
Overseas territories Jun 18, 2015

2G Trad wrote:

Or the Dutch Sint Marteen that shares a small island with the French Saint Martin. It's that island that has the airport where planes land just a few metres above the heads of people on the beach. Or French Guiana, St Barthélemy or St Pierre and Miquelon (all France). Or Aruba, Curaçao, Bonaire, Sint Eustatius or Saba (all Netherlands). Or Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Turks and Caicos Islands or Montserrat (all British Overseas Territories). That should cover all the mid & west Atlantic, Caribbean, and northern territories of Latin America. Or if you like cold weather, the Danish Faroe Islands or Greenland, but while they are part of the kingdom of Denmark, they are not part of the EU.

Just beware that these places mostly have special rules for everything, such as free movement, Schengen, immigration, application of EU law, tax, social security (welfare), VAT, customs and more. Some may be to your advantage, others not. That's nearly another couple of dozen jurisdictions or special territories to study.

There is a good overview here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_member_state_territories_and_the_European_Union

2G Trad wrote:

That's incorrect. Careful not to mislead people who may not know all the ins and outs of the EU. Only Schengen members use EU visa rules, including a few non-EU Member States, but not all EU Member States are Schengen members; the UK and Ireland for example. You cannot do anything with a Schengen visa there.

Laura Tridico
Laura Tridico  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:33
French to English
+ ...
sorry, double post! Jun 18, 2015

[Edited at 2015-06-18 17:34 GMT]

2GT
2GT  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:33
English to Italian
+ ...
EU visa rules Jun 18, 2015

Careful not to mislead people who may not
know all the ins and outs of the EU.

That is correct. Indeed.

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Anyway... Jun 19, 2015

...obtaining a working visa for Italy looks incredibly easy for you. Apart from the link I already posted, here is the relevant link.

http://vistoperitalia.esteri.it/home.aspx#BMQuestionario
Riepilogo informazioni inserite:
Nazionalità: STATI UNITI D'AMERICA
Durata soggiorno: oltre i 90 giorni
Motivo
... See more
...obtaining a working visa for Italy looks incredibly easy for you. Apart from the link I already posted, here is the relevant link.

http://vistoperitalia.esteri.it/home.aspx#BMQuestionario
Riepilogo informazioni inserite:
Nazionalità: STATI UNITI D'AMERICA
Durata soggiorno: oltre i 90 giorni
Motivo soggiorno: LAVORO AUTONOMO - LIBERO PROFESSIONISTA
Documenti e moduli:
formulario per la domanda del visto d'ingresso ( visualizza )
fotografia recente in formato tessera
documento di viaggio in corso di validità con scadenza superiore di almeno tre mesi a quella del visto richiesto
attestazione relativa all’astratta individuazione delle risorse necessarie all'attività imprenditoriale, commerciale o artigianale da intraprendere, rilasciata dalla Camera di Commercio competente per il territorio di svolgimento dell'attività. Tali risorse non devono essere inferiori all'importo annuale dell'assegno sociale (€ 4.962,36)
disponibilità economica in Italia sufficiente a garantire l'ammontare delle risorse necessarie di cui alla Attestazione
disponibilità di un reddito - relativo al precedente esercizio finanziario - di importo superiore al livello minimo previsto dalla legge per l'esenzione dalla partecipazione alla spesa sanitaria (€8.400), già acquisito nel Paese di residenza
Nulla Osta della Questura territorialmente competente
disponibilità di un alloggio idoneo.

Best of luck, whichever way you decide to follow, legal or "illegal"
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US National seeking to transfer business operations to EU

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »