Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
First time (hopefully) translating a website: techinical part?
Thread poster: Nele Van den Broeck
Nele Van den Broeck
Nele Van den Broeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 09:24
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why would anyone then still need a Dutch translator? + sensitivity issues in Belgium... Aug 10, 2015

It's a small theme park, not one of our most known theme park. Something you would do on a Sunday out when you just want to do something nice with your kids.
I'm sure it will especially attract local people, not foreigners. Foreigners would go to our more known, bigger theme parks.

What is to be added is that in Belgium there are a lot of sensitivity issues involved with the languages... If Dutch people are adressed to in French for example: that's a big issue, something they
... See more
It's a small theme park, not one of our most known theme park. Something you would do on a Sunday out when you just want to do something nice with your kids.
I'm sure it will especially attract local people, not foreigners. Foreigners would go to our more known, bigger theme parks.

What is to be added is that in Belgium there are a lot of sensitivity issues involved with the languages... If Dutch people are adressed to in French for example: that's a big issue, something they won't accept, and they WILL be offended. I hear things like "If they don't adress to me in my own language, which is one of the 2 (in fact 3) official languages in our country, I won't go there." on a daily basis...
Dutch speaking Belgian people tend to get upset if in Brussels for example shop owners don't speak Dutch to them. (Vice versa it's even worse, but that's not a sensitivity issue but more that a lot of the French speaking Belgians don't know how to speak Dutch and don't want to either).
It has to do with history and politics and so on...
It would've been different if the theme park was located in France, then the Dutch speaking people would accept the website to be in French or English, but not in Dutch.
But in Belgium? That's a whole different story...

Samuel: I think this might be the case...
I think they actually have thought about making a Dutch section of their website but just haven't got around to it yet...
Collapse

TalTranslations
TalTranslations
United Kingdom
English to Hebrew
local market Aug 11, 2015

Sorry, I don't agree with Balasubramaniam.

Even though India has 1 billion people and China has 1 billion people, and the Netherlands only a few million, the Dutch language is one of the first languages to be added to a website (often before Italian or other European languages of bigger countries).

And especially in this case of the theme park, it's more logical to aim at families of the neighbouring countries.
How many people from India or China who will travel a
... See more
Sorry, I don't agree with Balasubramaniam.

Even though India has 1 billion people and China has 1 billion people, and the Netherlands only a few million, the Dutch language is one of the first languages to be added to a website (often before Italian or other European languages of bigger countries).

And especially in this case of the theme park, it's more logical to aim at families of the neighbouring countries.
How many people from India or China who will travel all the way to Europe, will visit a theme park in Belgium?

Nele, when you want to translate websites, it's good to have some html knowledge or have worked with CMSs (content managemnnet system) before.

Good luck.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First time (hopefully) translating a website: techinical part?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »