DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 04:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good Luck! Sep 1, 2015

nickym wrote:

Particular message to DLyons - thanks so much for getting me straight!! And many thanks to all the other helpful comments, I am on a mission now to make a go of it!

Good Luck!

Jenae Spry
Jenae Spry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:29
French to English
Start with your profile Sep 2, 2015

Lalitha Krishnamurthy wrote:

Hi everybody ,

I am also a language enthusiast venturing into this arae of translation. I know English, Hindi , Tamil and Sanskrit at the spoken and written level. I know Bahasa Indonesia and have done a course in Basic German. I am venturing into translation with English as my target language.
I see everybody in this forum has considerable years of experience .......
I would like to get some tips and opinions from everybody !

Welcome! Start by filling out your Proz.com profile. When I was starting out I used that profile as my website and even had it on business cards. It's a great option if you can't invest in a website yet. Make sure your profile is flawless as well since it will be a representation of how you write.

Create a functional resume. This means listing subjects you translate about as opposed to the fact that you've been a freelancer for X years. Some translators even list number of words translated, but I wouldn't do that unless you have an impressive number of words to include.

Start networking and contacting companies and people. Get an idea of what you'd like to specialize in. When you're starting out, you have to take what you can get, but it doesn't hurt to aim for something. For example, I do medical, so I go to networking events in that industry. Even join associations in that industry if you can.

Get a mentor. You might want to try your hand at the business and get an idea of where you're struggling before you do this. Most of my freelancer clients have similar issues and while I suggest talking to someone early on to avoid making the same mistakes over and over, there's something to be said for giving it a go on your own first as well.

Best of luck and welcome!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New to Translating

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »