Whether or not to mention Gengo by name on a CV
Thread poster: DARKastheRAIN
Jan 18, 2016

I have no formal translation or source language training and all my experience so far comes from working on the translation platform Gengo.com. When applying to other agencies do you think it would be beneficial or off-putting to mention Gengo? I haven't gotten the impression that they're exactly highly regarded in the translation industry. Would a prospective agency take one look at the name Gengo and scoff, or would the fact that I was able to pass Gengo's professional level test prove that I ... See more
I have no formal translation or source language training and all my experience so far comes from working on the translation platform Gengo.com. When applying to other agencies do you think it would be beneficial or off-putting to mention Gengo? I haven't gotten the impression that they're exactly highly regarded in the translation industry. Would a prospective agency take one look at the name Gengo and scoff, or would the fact that I was able to pass Gengo's professional level test prove that I have some translating ability? Would it be better, worse, or just downright dishonest to describe the types of documents I've translated without mentioning the particular intermediary through which they were done?Collapse

DARKastheRAIN
DARKastheRAIN
TOPIC STARTER
Whether or not to mention Gengo by name on a CV Jan 20, 2016

If you're not sure that's all right. I'll settle for a few people's best guesses. What would you do?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:42
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Quick reply Jan 22, 2016

Just a few words as I'm on holiday.

I wouldn't personally mention them by name even if they were well regarded. I see our CVs as the place to say WHAT we've done. When, where, who for etc really aren't going to be uppermost in potential clients' minds. They just want to know what we've done so they can gauge whether we'll be able to handle their texts.

Bear in mind that your CV should not look anything li
... See more
Just a few words as I'm on holiday.

I wouldn't personally mention them by name even if they were well regarded. I see our CVs as the place to say WHAT we've done. When, where, who for etc really aren't going to be uppermost in potential clients' minds. They just want to know what we've done so they can gauge whether we'll be able to handle their texts.

Bear in mind that your CV should not look anything like a job-seeker's CV. There are some tips in a Wiki article - look under the Education tab of this site.
Collapse

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:42
French to German
+ ...
Agree with Sheila Jan 22, 2016

I entirely agree with Sheila.

To have an idea what a CV can look like you can have a look on the CVs of experienced colleagues on their ProZ profiles.

DARKastheRAIN
DARKastheRAIN
TOPIC STARTER
Whether or not to mention Gengo by name on a CV Jan 22, 2016

Thanks. Your response has been really helpful. I'll definitely keep the work experience category agency-nonspecific like it is now.

But my current draft's got "Professional-level Gengo translator" under other qualifications, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to take that off. (If it's relevant, that's my only item under other qualifications.)

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Remove Jan 22, 2016

DARKastheRAIN wrote:
But my current draft's got "Professional-level Gengo translator" under other qualifications, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to take that off.

I never mention clients by name.

Dan

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
What Jan 22, 2016

What's Gengo?

Michal Fabian
Michal Fabian  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:42
Dutch to Slovak
+ ...
If you... Jan 22, 2016

don't want to ruin whatever reputation you are trying to build straight away, don't.

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:42
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Likewise Jan 22, 2016

Dan Lucas wrote:

I never mention clients by name.

Samples of your work maybe, but never a client by name.

[Edited at 2016-01-22 15:43 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Carefully does it Jan 22, 2016

Rita Pang wrote:
Samples of your work maybe, but never a client by name.

Mmmm I'd still be very cautious. I might show hard-copy samples to people in a face-to-face meeting if the documents were already in the public domain. Documents I have translated for government agencies or the accounts of listed companies, for example. Never if they weren't public documents.

Regards
Dan

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It's a good qualification, but client's won't think so Jan 22, 2016

DARKastheRAIN wrote:
But my current draft's got "Professional-level Gengo translator" under other qualifications, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to take that off.

Unlike with some online translation systems, it takes quite a bit of skill to get a "professional-level" rating on Gengo. However, I think most clients don't know that, and when they find out that Gengo is a crowdsourced translation system, they're likely to put very little store in your "professional-level" rating, despite the fact that it is a reasonably good qualification.

So, no, don't mention the Gengo rating, unless you are able to mention some other ratings as well.

Ca Mi
Ca Mi
Spain
English to Russian
+ ...
Other platforms Mar 17, 2016

Try to work with other similar translation platforms like Onehourtranslation, translated, Tolq...there are a few. They often have a similar approach for getting started to work with them. it will not only give you more experience and income, but more confidence as well. I do mention some clients by name in my CV. The works I mention could be done just for my own practice - however, that's only my point of view.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Whether or not to mention Gengo by name on a CV

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »