Trial Translation
Thread poster: translationnoob
Apr 25, 2016

Hi there!
I have a trial translation sitting in front of me, and I am trying to figure out how I should proceed.

All text is in source language with instructions at the top and three different excerpts to translate. And spots for translations.
My instructions from email are to translate and return them as if I were to return them to the client.

I am inclined to translate everything and just overwrite everything per normal, as this is what I would do in a no
... See more
Hi there!
I have a trial translation sitting in front of me, and I am trying to figure out how I should proceed.

All text is in source language with instructions at the top and three different excerpts to translate. And spots for translations.
My instructions from email are to translate and return them as if I were to return them to the client.

I am inclined to translate everything and just overwrite everything per normal, as this is what I would do in a normal translation.
Is this some sort of trick to get me to put translations in the boxes instead of overwriting the source with translations?

Opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advanced.
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 21:15
Chinese to English
+ ...
What? Apr 25, 2016

I don't understand.

Jasmina Towers
Jasmina Towers  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:15
Italian to English
not a trick.... Apr 25, 2016

It sounds like they have just formatted their test this way, and expect you to add the translation in the box (leaving the source text where it is rather than over-writing it).
However, if you're not sure, just ask them.
I very much doubt they are trying to trick you!

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm
Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:15
German to Greek
+ ...
2 questions Apr 25, 2016

Did you read the instructions?
Is your intension to overwrite the instructions as well?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I don't understand either Apr 25, 2016

translationnoob wrote:
Is this some sort of trick to get me to put translations in the boxes instead of overwriting the source with translations?

Is this an excel file, perhaps? Is there a space for each sentence (roughly)?

This would be nothing abnormal. It gives them a structured text for proofreading purposes.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
In order to receive an opinion... Apr 25, 2016

your query should be more clear.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't understand it either! Apr 25, 2016

Is it a document with two parallel columns of text: one (usually the left one) for the source language and the other one (usually the right one) for the target language?

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:15
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Is your native language Dutch or English? Apr 25, 2016

If it is Dutch, you should not have listed Dutch to English as your language pair.

I think a post like this could be harmful to your business.

[Edited at 2016-04-25 17:47 GMT]

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translation tests are to access our translation skills. Apr 25, 2016

Otherwise, it would turn into an assessment centre, and that is used by employers to recruit their staff.

If translation test looks wired, and you are asked to do it free of charge, it should give you some warning about the way the client works.

The tests I've done (and I've done many, just as most of other colleagues of ours) have been straightforward. Yes, to accompany a translation test with some instructions is common. Now, you are not supposed to translate the in
... See more
Otherwise, it would turn into an assessment centre, and that is used by employers to recruit their staff.

If translation test looks wired, and you are asked to do it free of charge, it should give you some warning about the way the client works.

The tests I've done (and I've done many, just as most of other colleagues of ours) have been straightforward. Yes, to accompany a translation test with some instructions is common. Now, you are not supposed to translate the instructions, unless expressly stated.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
"as if you were to return them to the client" Apr 26, 2016

translationnoob wrote:
All text is in source language with instructions at the top and three different excerpts to translate. And spots for translations. ... My instructions from email are to translate and return them as if I were to return them to the client.

I think the instruction "as if you were to return them to the client" refers to the style of translation, not to the treatment of the document layout. If a client had sent you a file in which it was fairly clear that they wanted the translation in the boxes, then you would deliver it like that, wouldn't you?

But, if you're really in doubt, you could just send two versions (one with overwrite, and one in boxes) and explain in your reply e-mail why you did it like that.

I would do the boxes one. The test will be checked by another translator, and it would be helpful for him to see both source and target text in a single document.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Ask for clarification Apr 26, 2016

If you're not sure what the client (or potential client) wants, it's best, as others here have said, to ask for clarification. A brief and polite request can surely do no harm and could well show that you are attentive to instructions. In this case, for instance: "Please could you confirm that you'd like me to put the translation in the boxes and leave the source text as it is".

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
Apr 26, 2016

[Edited at 2016-04-26 08:11 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trial Translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »