German legal translation courses / certificates?
Thread poster: Andrew Slusher
Andrew Slusher
Andrew Slusher  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:57
German to English
May 1, 2016

Hello all,

I am still quite new to translating. Finding myself working with more general texts, with the occasional field-specific job, has given me a solid awareness of the industry overall. At this point, I am looking to transition to a more professional approach to translating, and I would like to develop towards specializing in legal texts.

I intend to take some courses in my home city to further my understanding of American law. After some googling and forum searc
... See more
Hello all,

I am still quite new to translating. Finding myself working with more general texts, with the occasional field-specific job, has given me a solid awareness of the industry overall. At this point, I am looking to transition to a more professional approach to translating, and I would like to develop towards specializing in legal texts.

I intend to take some courses in my home city to further my understanding of American law. After some googling and forum searching, however, I am left without any leads on specific coursework that might leave me more qualified and credentialed for working with legal texts from German into English. In particular, I am hoping to find anything offered as distance-learning online, as circumstance would not allow me to travel for months to complete a course in situ at a German university.

Would anyone happen to have any suggestions in this vein? I am seeking options to both build my knowledge and to demonstrate this to potential clients. Thank you in advance.
Collapse

Rita Translator
Rita Translator  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:57
German to English
BDÜ May 2, 2016

The BDÜ offers quite a few CE courses on legal matters - some are on-site but there's a series they offer as a webinar twice a year about the German legal system. It just ended but should be offered again in the fall. Otherwise you can look into NYU's classes. They have two on legal translation, although you have to be in the certificate program to take them, I think.

Maria S. Loose, LL.M.
Maria S. Loose, LL.M.  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 13:57
German to English
+ ...
Fernuniversität Hagen May 2, 2016

You can do lots of online courses in German law at the Fernuniversität Hagen. They are very good and meant for students aiming to become lawyers. I once did a course on German criminal law with them and it vastly improved my understanding of the very specific German terminology. However, your reading skills of German academic texts have to be top-notch.

Andrew Slusher
Andrew Slusher  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks to both May 2, 2016

Thank you for the responses.

Will keep an eye out for BDÜs upcoming offerings, and I find FernUni Hagen intriguing. For now, I will likely just start with some courses on the American legal system at the local university. It is good to know that there are some promising options out there online.

Ewa Olszowa
Ewa Olszowa  Identity Verified
Canada
Polish to English
+ ...
eCPD Webinars May 4, 2016

See more
https://www.ecpdwebinars.co.uk/downloads/german-legal-system-translators/?utm_source=eCPD%20Webinars%20Mailing%20List&utm_campaign=3e36d5bab5-Early_May%202016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_555e764ac3-3e36d5bab5-363207133&mc_cid=3e36d5bab5&mc_eid=3b0eafa5fcCollapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

German legal translation courses / certificates?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »