Rintaro Itoh
Rintaro Itoh  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:48
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Jul 10, 2016

How many of you do take it seriously to acquire PRO status? And if you already gained it, how does it benefit your freelance career? For instance, by having PRO status, did it enable you to reach more jobs than before? Any thoughts?

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:48
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Start small Jul 10, 2016

I recommend you change your name to something that sounds more convincing than "whatever 107". And as a 2nd step I would recommend to invest some time to polish and develop your profile.

Both steps may give you better results than being able to display a red button on a profile with a manga name and hardly any content.

My answer might sound harsh, but I assume that what you are really looking for are answers to:

Will the red P help me to get more and bette
... See more
I recommend you change your name to something that sounds more convincing than "whatever 107". And as a 2nd step I would recommend to invest some time to polish and develop your profile.

Both steps may give you better results than being able to display a red button on a profile with a manga name and hardly any content.

My answer might sound harsh, but I assume that what you are really looking for are answers to:

Will the red P help me to get more and better paid jobs?

What can I do to get more and better paid jobs?

I don't have a red P and I never applied for it, and my profile is that of a non paying member and I haven't updated it for years (therefore it is slowly falling apart). My experience is that there are many factors that might help you to get more and better paying clients/projects, but if your profile and your name (which are part of the basics) aren't optimised, the red P won't help you.

ProZ offers some training on how to use the site optimally - sure they will also recommend to apply for the red P, but they also offer a lot of useful advice such as investing some time answering Kudoz questions etc.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:48
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
How to be sure? Jul 10, 2016

I really couldn't quantify it, but it certainly doesn't hurt. As Siegfried says, it's just one of the many elements that make up a ProZ.com profile. You don't get offered the tag unless a lot of other things are already looking good.

Personally, almost all my clients find me through this site, be it through the directory, recommendations, personal contacts made at conferences or the public job board. I imagine that at least some were encouraged by the 'P".

Kristina Cosumano (X)
Kristina Cosumano (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
I did, Jul 11, 2016

but not with the idea of directly getting better jobs.

Sheila Wilson wrote:

You don't get offered the tag unless a lot of other things are already looking good.

I applied and took it seriously, because I needed something like that in place of (recognized) experience and credentials. It acted as confirmation, for me personally, that I was doing things right.
I don't honestly know if and how it has directly influenced my getting jobs, but it served other purposes well.

David Hayes
David Hayes  Identity Verified
France
French to English
No Jul 11, 2016

My experience has unfortunately been 'P' for pointless.

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Not sure, but... Jul 11, 2016

I see you also translate both ways (i.e., 2 target languages), any there are many clients that do not believe in bilingualism. I certified a pair where the target is not the language (or even a language) of the country where I live (and frankly, not really my mother tongue), and I got a little more demand for it even from countries where such things "aren't done". But it's not an enormous boost, and I agree with others that there are other things to do first. Besides, there must be a lot of comp... See more
I see you also translate both ways (i.e., 2 target languages), any there are many clients that do not believe in bilingualism. I certified a pair where the target is not the language (or even a language) of the country where I live (and frankly, not really my mother tongue), and I got a little more demand for it even from countries where such things "aren't done". But it's not an enormous boost, and I agree with others that there are other things to do first. Besides, there must be a lot of competition in your pairs and it might not work (many certified translators for these).Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Removed Jul 11, 2016

David Hayes wrote:

My experience has unfortunately been 'P' for pointless.

I was given it, several years ago, and asked for it to be removed. In my (long) experience, clients are practical people who are not impressed by credentials and are looking for people who can do the translating job effectively, on time, accurately, and professionally.

[Edited at 2016-07-11 08:01 GMT]

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
How can one tell? Jul 11, 2016

To my surprise, Proz invited me to apply for "Certified Pro" status when the system was introduced some years ago and I accepted.
I have no idea whether or not having the "P" helps me to get more jobs or new clients. As far as I can tell, there's no way of knowing whether a potential new client contacted me because of the "P" or whether it was for some other reason. If there is some way of knowing, I'd be interested to hear it.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:48
German to English
+ ...
existing certification Jul 11, 2016

I am certified by my professional organization in Canada after proving my background and passing a stringent exam. There is a certain legal status involved. The idea that a forum would "certify" my abilities seems strange, and tends to take away from the meaning of my actual certification.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not for the first time Jul 12, 2016

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

I am certified by my professional organization in Canada after proving my background and passing a stringent exam. There is a certain legal status involved. The idea that a forum would "certify" my abilities seems strange, and tends to take away from the meaning of my actual certification.

Not for the first time I have pointed out that the "Certified Pro" description used by Proz may be considered misleading and indeed illegal in this country (the UK) since it is not awarded by any recognised certifying body.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certified PRO

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »