Thread poster: Elvira Bianco
Elvira Bianco
Elvira Bianco  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:07
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 18, 2016

How safe is sending personal ID, degree or certification on the internet?
I always applied to job offers sending my CV; today an agency asked for my degree scan, I send it to them but after talking with my team-working freelancer , who refused to send his degree I wondered if I did it right.
What's your opinion?

Bryan Crumpler
Bryan Crumpler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:07
Dutch to English
+ ...
Review the company privacy policy & take precautions Aug 18, 2016

Some advice here:

"If you really need to upload an ID scan, watermark it with the company's name, the date and for which purpose it's used."

Further details (this regards airbnb, but it is applicable here): https://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips/comments/2icgq9/lpt_if_you_really_need_to_upload_an_id_scan/

... See more
Some advice here:

"If you really need to upload an ID scan, watermark it with the company's name, the date and for which purpose it's used."

Further details (this regards airbnb, but it is applicable here): https://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips/comments/2icgq9/lpt_if_you_really_need_to_upload_an_id_scan/

If by e-mail, I would also consider sending it as an encrypted PDF and communicating the password with a trusted party over the phone or under separate enclosure.

Never fax sensitive information. Sometimes co's do not retrieve faxes immediately.

If you really want to grill them, ask to see their privacy policy and whether the country in which they operate is compliant with comparable EU regulations such as the Data Privacy Act (aka Personal Data Protection Act) or whichever local legislation is applicable if outside the EU.

HTH
Collapse

Elvira Bianco
Elvira Bianco  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:07
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 18, 2016

I'll follow your advice.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:07
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Degree or ID? Aug 19, 2016

I think the request to see your credentials is a fair one, although it's one I've had to comply with just a handful of times in 20 years. Nowadays (more aware of risks) I'd either scan it and add a watermark or I'd print off a copy, write on it, and scan that in. (I suspect some geeky people may be able to remove watermarks, but maybe they can't.)

ID is a different matter. I've heard lots of freelancers here say they've been asked for driving licence, ID card, passport or social sec
... See more
I think the request to see your credentials is a fair one, although it's one I've had to comply with just a handful of times in 20 years. Nowadays (more aware of risks) I'd either scan it and add a watermark or I'd print off a copy, write on it, and scan that in. (I suspect some geeky people may be able to remove watermarks, but maybe they can't.)

ID is a different matter. I've heard lots of freelancers here say they've been asked for driving licence, ID card, passport or social security card. I'd want to know why and try to find an alternative solution. If I did comply, I'd certainly take a photocopy and totally obliterate personal things like the number. Clients are only entitled to so much, and no more.
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:07
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Passport Aug 19, 2016

An agency for which I'd worked for several years once suddenly decided it needed some ID from me or it couldn't continue working with me (perhaps to comply with some standard or other?).
I resisted. They insisted.
Eventually, I reluctantly sent them a photocopy of the identification page of my passport in which I had blacked out the numbers and dates - on the back of the paper as well (for fear of ID fraud if it fell into the wrong hands).
Apparently, that was acceptable to the
... See more
An agency for which I'd worked for several years once suddenly decided it needed some ID from me or it couldn't continue working with me (perhaps to comply with some standard or other?).
I resisted. They insisted.
Eventually, I reluctantly sent them a photocopy of the identification page of my passport in which I had blacked out the numbers and dates - on the back of the paper as well (for fear of ID fraud if it fell into the wrong hands).
Apparently, that was acceptable to them.
I was tempted to black out my passport photograph too which makes me resemble a Nazi wardress, but I left it because I was ashamed of my pathetic vanity ...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I send my ID to Agencies?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »