Adam, MA Trans
Adam, MA Trans
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:05
French to English
+ ...
Sep 8, 2016

Hi everybody,

I have been studying the average and minimum prices per word and hour, listed on this website.

I noticed that Spanish and Italian have an average minimum rate of 0.08 dollars per word, whereas French is set at 0.09 dollars per word. For every 1000 words there is a difference of 10 additional dollars if you translate from French into English as opposed to Spanish or Italian.

Could anyone please tell me if the general practice is to charge more
... See more
Hi everybody,

I have been studying the average and minimum prices per word and hour, listed on this website.

I noticed that Spanish and Italian have an average minimum rate of 0.08 dollars per word, whereas French is set at 0.09 dollars per word. For every 1000 words there is a difference of 10 additional dollars if you translate from French into English as opposed to Spanish or Italian.

Could anyone please tell me if the general practice is to charge more for the French-English language pair, than Spanish/Italian-English?
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:05
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It doesn't mean that Sep 8, 2016

Adam-MSCR wrote:

Could anyone please tell me if the general practice is to charge more for the French-English language pair, than Spanish/Italian-English?

It's just a statistic. We all have the opportunity to input our standard and minimum rates, either for display on our profiles or hidden and just used by staff for this use and for job filtering. Even the minimum is an average, and a dubious one at that. We aren't obliged to accept only what we state in our profiles, after all. But the community rates are a guide to bear in mind when setting your own rates.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 06:05
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Average and minimum. Sep 8, 2016

According to what is listed on this site, average in my language pair is $0.12 per word.

Then a client replies to my quote saying ironically how my rate is funny and how they just received quotes at $0.02 per word (for translation) from dozens of people in my language pair.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Minimum rates for French and Spanish into English

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »