Thread poster: Jacqueline Burke
Jacqueline Burke
Jacqueline Burke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:45
English to German
+ ...
Sep 9, 2016

I just got a job offer from the Institute of Applied Education. They translate Udemy courses and the translators get 25% of the profits the translated course generates. They also said that one course usually makes about $3000-$4000 a year, but of course that could be way less.

I just started out as a freelance translator and I am not sure what to think about that. Has anybody ever worked for them? What do you think about that?

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 12:45
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Commission based? Sep 9, 2016

Are you only paid upon sales of the product, or is there also a base pay? If it's the former, I would stay away.

Jacqueline Burke
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No base pay Sep 9, 2016

Lingua 5B wrote:

Are you only paid upon sales of the product, or is there also a base pay? If it's the former, I would stay away.

No, there is no base pay. Thank you for your advice!

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Research Sep 9, 2016

Jacqueline Burke wrote:

I just got a job offer from the Institute of Applied Education. They translate Udemy courses and the translators get 25% of the profits the translated course generates. They also said that one course usually makes about $3000-$4000 a year, but of course that could be way less.

I just started out as a freelance translator and I am not sure what to think about that. Has anybody ever worked for them? What do you think about that?

Did you do some research on them? If I'm not mistaken, that company was founded in August (2016). Not sure how they can say how much revenue a course usually generates in a year, if that's the case. Maybe based on similar courses, but still...

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Even worse.... Sep 9, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Jacqueline Burke wrote:

Did you do some research on them? If I'm not mistaken, that company was founded in August (2016). Not sure how they can say how much revenue a course usually generates in a year, if that's the case. Maybe based on similar courses, but still...

If it's based on similar courses, it means they are copy-cats with competitors - thus less likely to sell the product.

Jacqueline Burke
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
revenue Sep 9, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Jacqueline Burke wrote:

Yes, I did research on them and I also talked to the founder of the company. I think their calculations are based on what the course made in another language.

Jacqueline Burke
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
translate courses Sep 9, 2016

Lingua 5B wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Jacqueline Burke wrote:

If it's based on similar courses, it means they are copy-cats with competitors - thus less likely to sell the product.

They just translate courses, they don't make the courses. The instructors get the main part of what the courses generate, also the translated ones.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:45
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Seems to be a startup that is legitimate but is it all just hype? Sep 9, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:
Jacqueline Burke wrote:

It sounds to me as though they are basing their volumes on very shaky foundations: someone else's. They must be citing every customer they've every had in their over-the-top web publicity.

It doesn't seem to be an out-and-out scam (as for as I can make out), so it has that going for it. But you may well do the work and receive nothing for your efforts. Can you afford that risk? You say you stand to get paid $750-1000 a year, presumably for years to come? Well, how much work are you going to have to do up-front for that? And how damaged will you and your business be if you receive $0? You don't have to tell us the answers to those questions but you do have to think very carefully about them, and then make your decision. And if you do decide to do it, don't let yourself be discouraged if nothing comes of it - it was your decision, after all. On the other hand, you never know - you might be able to retire on the proceeds!

Jacqueline Burke
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 9, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:
Jacqueline Burke wrote:

It sounds to me as though they are basing their volumes on very shaky foundations: someone else's. They must be citing every customer they've every had in their over-the-top web publicity.

It doesn't seem to be an out-and-out scam (as for as I can make out), so it has that going for it. But you may well do the work and receive nothing for your efforts. Can you afford that risk? You say you stand to get paid $750-1000 a year, presumably for years to come? Well, how much work are you going to have to do up-front for that? And how damaged will you and your business be if you receive $0? You don't have to tell us the answers to those questions but you do have to think very carefully about them, and then make your decision. And if you do decide to do it, don't let yourself be discouraged if nothing comes of it - it was your decision, after all. On the other hand, you never know - you might be able to retire on the proceeds!

Thank you for your comment!

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Betting Sep 9, 2016

Whether this business is legitimate or not, you're not into financing joint-ventures, are you? Investors who believe in a business put money in because it's their job to assess the risk. They also spread it investing in different projects.
I don't think it's wise as a translator to bet your time (which is money) on wind and good intentions. Even with your name in the translated version.
But if you have assessed that the risk is worth taking, like an investor would do, then why not.
... See more
Whether this business is legitimate or not, you're not into financing joint-ventures, are you? Investors who believe in a business put money in because it's their job to assess the risk. They also spread it investing in different projects.
I don't think it's wise as a translator to bet your time (which is money) on wind and good intentions. Even with your name in the translated version.
But if you have assessed that the risk is worth taking, like an investor would do, then why not. It's like buying shares from the same company on the stock market and hoping it will strive.

It reminds me a surrealistic job interview I had a long time ago: After talking shop, the boss asked whether I'd be interested in investing in his business to create a new department! As a job seeker, I thought the idea was pretty cynical.

Philippe
Collapse

Jacqueline Burke
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
helpful comment Sep 9, 2016

Philippe Etienne wrote:

But if you have assessed that the risk is worth taking, like an investor would do, then why not. It's like buying shares from the same company on the stock market and hoping it will strive.

It reminds me a surrealistic job interview I had a long time ago: After talking shop, the boss asked whether I'd be interested in investing in his business to create a new department! As a job seeker, I thought the idea was pretty cynical.

Philippe

Thank you Philippe, your comment is really helpful!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job offer - Institute of Applied Education

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »