Off topic: Moving from Spain to the U.S, how do I start looking for translation job offers? and where to start?
Thread poster: Virginia Alvarez Rodriguez
Virginia Alvarez Rodriguez
Virginia Alvarez Rodriguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 30, 2016

Hello,

I am studying a masters in translation in Spain, since that is where I´m from. After it I want to take a course in medical translation because its my passion, but it is possible that next year I'll be moving to the U.S and even though I have been looking, I am unable to find any information about translation jobs, translation agencies or companies where I could send my resume to.

Thank you, any advise or information would be appreciated.

Virginia

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:53
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Have you looked here? Dec 2, 2016

Virginia Alvarez wrote:
I am studying a masters in translation in Spain, since that is where I´m from. After it I want to take a course in medical translation because its my passion, but it is possible that next year I'll be moving to the U.S and even though I have been looking, I am unable to find any information about translation jobs, translation agencies or companies where I could send my resume to.

This site - ProZ.com - has a directory of agencies and other outsourcers. That has to be a very good base for your searches. I doubt very much that you'll find salaried translation jobs in America, though. Personally, I wouldn't restrict myself to agencies physically present in the US. We find our clients online; they send files by email or file transfer; we send invoices by email or through interfaces; payment can often be made electronically. There are a few practical problems to be aware of when dealing with "foreign" clients, but they can all be overcome. I certainly don't see it as a problem in my business. I rarely send two invoices to the same country in a month .

DarwinE
DarwinE  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Maybe not translating, but interpreting? Dec 7, 2016

If you have medical terminology knowledge, have you considered becoming a medical interpreter? Like Sheila said it'd be very hard to find a concrete job as a translator here in the states. Most translators here are freelancers and even they end up working with agencies outside of the country. You could be a medical interpreter through a call center, or depending on your location you may be able to find a hospital or a clinic that hires in-house Spanish interpreters, but even those positions are ... See more
If you have medical terminology knowledge, have you considered becoming a medical interpreter? Like Sheila said it'd be very hard to find a concrete job as a translator here in the states. Most translators here are freelancers and even they end up working with agencies outside of the country. You could be a medical interpreter through a call center, or depending on your location you may be able to find a hospital or a clinic that hires in-house Spanish interpreters, but even those positions are few and far between (or so I was told when I was hired as a medical interpreter, apparently our hospital is one of few in the entire nation that has their own live Spanish interpreters)

Good luck!
Collapse

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
First of all, thank you... Dec 12, 2016

for your suggestions, however my main goal for the moment is to acquire a visa by means of working as a translator, even if that means not working in the field of medical translation, at least for a while. Between EU it is easy (or relatively easy) to go from country to country, but it seems that living in the US is quite difficult. This is the reason why I wanted to know the various options I have, since I don't want to think that it is impossible.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:53
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I thought you'd crossed that bridge Dec 13, 2016

Virginia Alvarez wrote:
my main goal for the moment is to acquire a visa by means of working as a translator, even if that means not working in the field of medical translation, at least for a while. Between EU it is easy (or relatively easy) to go from country to country, but it seems that living in the US is quite difficult. This is the reason why I wanted to know the various options I have, since I don't want to think that it is impossible.

I assumed you had the right to enter and work in the US, either by nationality or by a visa that you had or knew you can get. I'm afraid I don't have any idea of the administration required to gain entry. As I said, you'd be looking at being a freelancer - something I believe is very simple and cheap in the US. But first you do have to get them to welcome you with open arms.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, first you'd better ... Dec 13, 2016

... contact the US Embassy in Madrid, c/Serrano 75, 91-587-2200.

Translation work - you might like to look into the construction industry. Rumour has it there's a ginormous wall-building project about to kick in over there. Payment in pesos, though, for some reason.

Maria S. Loose, LL.M.
Maria S. Loose, LL.M.  Identity Verified
Belgium
German to English
+ ...
Canada? Dec 13, 2016

Why don't you look into Canadian immigration rules? Canada seems to have a points-based immigration scheme which gives additional points to trained translators.

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have found some agencies... Dec 13, 2016

that are either looking for translators or open to hire more translators, although I´m reluctant to contact them now, because I haven´t finish my master yet and going to the estates, even though a high possibility, it is still in the air. The reason of moving there is because of my partner who is going with a grant, this is the reason I am not considering Canada although it sounds better.

Thank you

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 03:53
Romanian to English
+ ...
It is not that easy Dec 13, 2016

Virginia Alvarez wrote:

for your suggestions, however my main goal for the moment is to acquire a visa by means of working as a translator, even if that means not working in the field of medical translation, at least for a while. Between EU it is easy (or relatively easy) to go from country to country, but it seems that living in the US is quite difficult. This is the reason why I wanted to know the various options I have, since I don't want to think that it is impossible.

In order to get a visa for working as a translator, the hiring agencies must prove to the US Government (ICE) that they were not able to find in the US a US citizen or Permanent resident (Green Card holder) to do the job. In your particular case, SP - EN, the market is full of real translators or interpreters as well as of people who think that they can be good translators or interpreters.

Good luck,
Lee

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:53
Chinese to English
E-2 visa Dec 13, 2016

Have a look at this: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/may/16/business/la-fi-smallbiz-visa-20110516

Do note that I believe the E-2, unlike the EB-5 (which requires a 500,000 USD investment), is not an immigrant visa--you could have a business in the US for 20 years with an E-2 and still not be a permanent resident. In fact, there is a movement to t
... See more
Have a look at this: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/may/16/business/la-fi-smallbiz-visa-20110516

Do note that I believe the E-2, unlike the EB-5 (which requires a 500,000 USD investment), is not an immigrant visa--you could have a business in the US for 20 years with an E-2 and still not be a permanent resident. In fact, there is a movement to try to create the possibility for E-2 holders to eventually apply for green cards, but given the current political environment, this seems unlikely for the time being.

[Edited at 2016-12-13 22:52 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving from Spain to the U.S, how do I start looking for translation job offers? and where to start?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »