Registering as a translator in Ireland / S'établir comme traducteur freelance en Irlande
Thread poster: Olivia ORMSTON
Olivia ORMSTON
Olivia ORMSTON  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:18
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Jan 6, 2017

Bonjour,
Je viens d'arriver en Irlande.
Je souhaite m'inscrire comme self-employed. Je suis en train de remplir le formulaire TR1.
Dois-je demander un numéro de TVA ?
Je travaille avec des clients en UE et parfois hors UE.
Merci pour votre aide.

Hello
I have just arrived in Ireland.
I am in the process of registering as a self employed. I am currently filling out the TR1 form.
Do I need to register for VAT ?
I mainly work with E
... See more
Bonjour,
Je viens d'arriver en Irlande.
Je souhaite m'inscrire comme self-employed. Je suis en train de remplir le formulaire TR1.
Dois-je demander un numéro de TVA ?
Je travaille avec des clients en UE et parfois hors UE.
Merci pour votre aide.

Hello
I have just arrived in Ireland.
I am in the process of registering as a self employed. I am currently filling out the TR1 form.
I mainly work with EU clients, sometimes clients outside the EU.
Thanks for your help !
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
If I were you I would Jan 7, 2017

Olivia ORMSTON wrote:
I mainly work with EU clients, sometimes clients outside the EU...

In the forums there are many stories where EU customers wouldn't pay translators before they would show a valid VAT number, because of their own "rules" or "processes".
Those agencies don't seem to know that in some EU countries, you don't necessarily need a VAT number to do business legally across Europe.

So I would apply for a VAT number, if only to avoid potential payment issues and headaches later.

Philippe

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:18
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Help Jan 8, 2017

I don't think so. You may find this helpful:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/guide/registration.html#section2

However since you are new to Ireland, I would strongly advise you to look for a small, friendly accountant. You need get all this right, before you start.

Fáilte go hÉirinn !

Olivia ORMSTON
Olivia ORMSTON  Identity Verified
France
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
VAT Jan 8, 2017

I do not really need to have a VAT number.
But one of my clients (Recruitment agency) ask for one to be sure you have a real company.
In France, I did not need one as I was not exceeding a certain turnover. But I asked for one (and I got it) as that client asked for it.
Thanks for all your replies !

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Registering as a translator in Ireland / S'établir comme traducteur freelance en Irlande

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »