I have been working in Muğla Sıtkı Koçman University for 12 years as an English Lecturer
Thread poster: KIVANC ERSOZ
KIVANC ERSOZ
KIVANC ERSOZ
Türkiye
Local time: 04:38
Turkish to English
+ ...
Jan 31, 2017

I have been working in Muğla Sıtkı Koçman University for 12 years as an English Lecturer and I also have 1 year experience as an assistant manager.I did lots of translations in my career. I have deep knowledge on IT and computer hardware and software. I love to read alot on technology and I can solve nearly all problems I can face as "technologically" . However , I am novice to this site. How can I get translation jobs ? Is it good to get pro membership ?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:38
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Welcome to the site Feb 1, 2017

kersoz32 wrote:
I am novice to this site. How can I get translation jobs ? Is it good to get pro membership ?

You might get the occasional job from here without paying for membership. You could also find that you pay but only get a few more jobs, but that's because payment really isn't the whole solution to getting work here. You need also to be an active user of the site and the internet in general. Networking is what it's all about nowadays. A few generations ago, everyone in the road used to know their neighbours' jobs and could point strangers to the baker, the tailor etc. Now strangers have to find it easy to find us online.

Visit the Site Guidance Centre and find out how to get to meet clients here. There's a free webinar designed exactly to help you do that.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
as always, it depends Feb 1, 2017

Welcome, Kivanc!

I think that going Pro at the ProZ would ...
See more
Welcome, Kivanc!

I think that going Pro at the ProZ would distinguish you and other 176 members from 5282 (free) non-members here, which seems quite reasonable and worthy)

On the other hand, how about your connections at the uni, local foreign companies, and other related sources? Any diversifications?

I don't know couleur locale peculiarities, but a decent businessmen with a relevant experience and set goals still can't do without connections.

Cheers
Collapse

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 04:38
German to Turkish
+ ...
Welcome Feb 2, 2017

Sheila W. has already told the essence

Visit fora and attend some webinars. It is important to be an active member. Instead of being a persistent asker, be one of the translators who replies Kudoz questions. Take your time and you'll find your way soon.

I believe that paid membership is especially advantageous in the beginning. Directory ranking is an important factor as most of the satisfying connecti
... See more

Visit fora and attend some webinars. It is important to be an active member. Instead of being a persistent asker, be one of the translators who replies Kudoz questions. Take your time and you'll find your way soon.

I believe that paid membership is especially advantageous in the beginning. Directory ranking is an important factor as most of the satisfying connections are established through a directory search.

[Edited at 2017-02-02 00:25 GMT]
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:38
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree! Feb 8, 2017

Merhaba, Kıvanç

Elif Baykara wrote:

I believe that paid membership is especially advantageous in the beginning. Directory ranking is an important factor as most of the satisfying connections are established through a directory search.

I absolutely agree with my colleagues. You will get the most of this site being an active member, not just a translator that uploads its profile, waiting for some potential client to discover him (there are thousands of translators doing the same). Here you will also find some free webinars that might be quite usefull for starting using the site, such as the following one: http://www.proz.com/translator-training/course/14567-meeting_clients_at_prozcom
Jobs are not only found via the job posting board, but via your interventions (be it answering terminology questions, or participating in the forums, or attending conferences, powwows, etc.), as Proz.com is a showcase of your abilities, knowledge and preferences as a translator.

Welcome to our house!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I have been working in Muğla Sıtkı Koçman University for 12 years as an English Lecturer

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »