lingonika ltd
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:29
Member (2014)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Feb 13, 2017

Hello,
I have just received a question from one of my clients, it is so strange that I wasn't even sure what forum is the best for this topic.
Anyway, they are a food producer and they often ask us to translate labels. Here's their today's request:

"As there is not much space on the pack we would like to consolidate 3 languages which do have a lot of similarities ( words & phrases): Norwegian, Swedish, Danish and make the HYBRID language translation out of those three la
... See more
Hello,
I have just received a question from one of my clients, it is so strange that I wasn't even sure what forum is the best for this topic.
Anyway, they are a food producer and they often ask us to translate labels. Here's their today's request:

"As there is not much space on the pack we would like to consolidate 3 languages which do have a lot of similarities ( words & phrases): Norwegian, Swedish, Danish and make the HYBRID language translation out of those three languages."

Is it possible? Is anyone interested?

Best,
Monika Rozwarzewska,
From-To LTD
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes-ish Feb 13, 2017

It's done sometimes. Write in Norwegian or Danish, which are much the same, and have a few differing Swedish words in brackets. Might not be too popular with some Swedes, but if it's just the ingredients it's not the end of the world... Have to run it past the regulators anyway I imagine???

Better and more common is to combine Nor/Dan and keep Swe separate.

lingonika ltd
lingonika ltd
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Would you be interested? Feb 13, 2017

Chris S wrote:

It's done sometimes. Write in Norwegian or Danish, which are much the same, and have a few differing Swedish words in brackets. Might not be too popular with some Swedes, but if it's just the ingredients it's not the end of the world... Have to run it past the regulators anyway I imagine???

Better and more common is to combine Nor/Dan and keep Swe separate.

Would you be interested in working for us on such a project? If so, please contact me!

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Feb 13, 2017

from-to wrote:

Would you be interested in working for us on such a project? If so, please contact me!

I translate the other way. But I'm sure you could post it as a job enquiry on ProZ and get plenty of quotes from Swe/Nor/Dan translators.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 10:29
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
20 words? Feb 13, 2017

Chris S wrote:

from-to wrote:

I translate the other way. But I'm sure you could post it as a job enquiry on ProZ and get plenty of quotes from Swe/Nor/Dan translators.

20 word job would be a typical food label job, or 200 max.

Btw, is the hybrid paid more as obviously one must be more creative with it?

[Edited at 2017-02-13 14:44 GMT]

lingonika ltd
lingonika ltd
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
865 words Feb 13, 2017

There are two labels to be translated, totalling to 865 words.

Monika Rozwarzewska
Monika Rozwarzewska  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Posted Feb 13, 2017

Chris S wrote:

But I'm sure you could post it as a job enquiry on ProZ and get plenty of quotes from Swe/Nor/Dan translators.

Thank you for this hint!

Enrique Bjarne Strand Ferrer
Enrique Bjarne Strand Ferrer
Spain
Member (2017)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Yes, I've seen it Feb 13, 2017

from-to wrote:

Hello,

"As there is not much space on the pack we would like to consolidate 3 languages which do have a lot of similarities ( words & phrases): Norwegian, Swedish, Danish and make the HYBRID language translation out of those three languages."

Is it possible? Is anyone interested?

Best,
Monika Rozwarzewska,
From-To LTD

Hi,

yes, it is not uncommon, specially in food labels.

Luca Vaccari
Luca Vaccari  Identity Verified
Italy
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
Quite common Feb 14, 2017

I can confirm, I've seen it many times in Sweden, and you can understand when the word is exactly the same, e.g. "Ingredienser".

I can feel that it sometimes gets "too much" (in my opinion) when they add quite simple words like "water" (vatten / vann / vand). An educated Swede or Dane or Norwegian would/should know what "water" is called in the other languages.

On the other hand, manufacturers prefer probably to be in the safe track, like with American instructions (co
... See more
I can confirm, I've seen it many times in Sweden, and you can understand when the word is exactly the same, e.g. "Ingredienser".

I can feel that it sometimes gets "too much" (in my opinion) when they add quite simple words like "water" (vatten / vann / vand). An educated Swede or Dane or Norwegian would/should know what "water" is called in the other languages.

On the other hand, manufacturers prefer probably to be in the safe track, like with American instructions (coffee is hot), so I can understand why they prefer to do it.

But then I have a question:

Why do they do not do the same for languages like Italian and Spanish?
Like with Scandinavian water, an Italian can easily understand that Spanish "aqua" is the same as Italian "acqua".

To sum up: it's not a decision that the translator can take. The manufacturer (i.e. the local agents) sets the rule, and the translator has to follow it.

[Edited at 2017-02-14 17:20 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hybrid Scandinavian - is it possible?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »