FBI - must one renounce dual citizenship?
Thread poster: Abu Amaal (X)
Abu Amaal (X)
Abu Amaal (X)
French to English
+ ...
Oct 6, 2001

I\'ve been reliably informed that to be eligible to work for the FBI as a translator one must renounce dual citizenship. I find this astounding and wonder if this is generally known, and what the community thinks of this.

(The particular case I am thinking of involves an Arabic translator with French/American citizenship.)

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 09:17
English to Italian
+ ...
Why do you find it astounding? Oct 8, 2001

Hi Abu,

I don\'t find it that surprising. Supposedly, the work you do for the FBI is sensitive and double citizenship entails double allegiance. I have double citizenship. So far I have not done sensitive work for one of the governments whose citizenship I bear.

Take care

Paola Ludovici MacQuarrie

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:17
German to English
+ ...
Not astounding Oct 8, 2001

Are you referring to the recent ad that went around from the FBI? They listed all of the requirements including security clearance and renouncing dual citizenship; I\'m not surprised for the exactly the reason Paola mentioned. You have to remember, too, that in the US dual citizenship is uncommon - everyone will tell you that it is illegal. It is not; the official policy is that it is \"tolerated, but not encouraged.\" (BTW I am an American with dual citizenship.)

Abu Amaal (X)
Abu Amaal (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
mistitled - but thanks for your comments Oct 8, 2001

The title was altered (my fault: I just called it \"FBI\", rather obscurely) -

as my post makes clear, I was certainly not asking the question that was inserted into the title, nor am I personally concerned by it.

I feel dismayed by the implications for the talent pool, which may be substantial. Of course, I understand the rationale; what surprises me is that others find it compelling, beginning with the FBI and seconded by our very talented translators.
... See more
The title was altered (my fault: I just called it \"FBI\", rather obscurely) -

as my post makes clear, I was certainly not asking the question that was inserted into the title, nor am I personally concerned by it.

I feel dismayed by the implications for the talent pool, which may be substantial. Of course, I understand the rationale; what surprises me is that others find it compelling, beginning with the FBI and seconded by our very talented translators.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Collapse

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 09:17
English to Italian
+ ...
dual citizenship a serious matter Oct 10, 2001

Dear Abul, I see your point about the talent pool. On the other hand, I take dual citizenship very seriously, not just as a symbolical attachment to the country of birth. I can cast my vote in the countries of which I am a citizen. Personally, I subscribe to the principle of \"no taxation without representation\" (hence, no representation without taxation) and chose not to cast my ballot in the Italian elections. You may ask then, why do I still have dual citizenship. For the symbolical reaso... See more
Dear Abul, I see your point about the talent pool. On the other hand, I take dual citizenship very seriously, not just as a symbolical attachment to the country of birth. I can cast my vote in the countries of which I am a citizen. Personally, I subscribe to the principle of \"no taxation without representation\" (hence, no representation without taxation) and chose not to cast my ballot in the Italian elections. You may ask then, why do I still have dual citizenship. For the symbolical reasons I was mentioning. I spent half my life there, I was born there. But if push came to shove, as it does for men who have to serve in the army, I would have to choose to whom I swear allegiance, to the Queen of Canada or to the Republic of Italy.

All the best.

Paola L M

Collapse

Abu Amaal (X)
Abu Amaal (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dennis Baron: "America doesn't know what the world is saying" Oct 28, 2001

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/27/opinion/27BARO.html

NYT 10/27/2001, op-ed

Extracts:

To translate Arabic or Pashto for the FBI, you must be an American citizen who has spent three of the last five years in this country, and you must renounce dual citizenship.

If we really want to understand the words of our e
... See more
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/27/opinion/27BARO.html

NYT 10/27/2001, op-ed

Extracts:

To translate Arabic or Pashto for the FBI, you must be an American citizen who has spent three of the last five years in this country, and you must renounce dual citizenship.

If we really want to understand the words of our enemies - not to mention those of our friends - we need to put more emphasis on learning languages and show more respect for the bilingual people in our schools and communities.

-A^2
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:17
German to English
+ ...
More bilinguality Oct 29, 2001

\"If we really want to understand the words of our enemies - not to mention those of our friends - we need to put more emphasis on learning languages and show more respect for the bilingual people in our schools and communities.\"

Amen! I am seriously considering sending my daughter to a private school so that she can start learning foreign languages as early as possible. Otherwise she might not have the chance until sixth grade or so. She is already being raised bilingual,
... See more
\"If we really want to understand the words of our enemies - not to mention those of our friends - we need to put more emphasis on learning languages and show more respect for the bilingual people in our schools and communities.\"

Amen! I am seriously considering sending my daughter to a private school so that she can start learning foreign languages as early as possible. Otherwise she might not have the chance until sixth grade or so. She is already being raised bilingual, as I was. I recall as a child hearing people say when my family was at the store that we should be speaking English, but even more people have said to me how sorry they are that their grandparents/parents did not pass on their native languages to them. However, I do think this issue is slightly different than the dual citizenship issue.
Collapse

AndrewBM
AndrewBM
Ireland
Local time: 13:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Think FBI ! Oct 30, 2001

Don\'t try to understand the FBI if you don\'t work there, but if you aspire to a post in there, you\'ll have to learn to think FBI. Nothing easier.

Hinara
Hinara  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
a matter of national security Sep 27, 2002

While American intelligence agencies should plan long term and have fully trained interpreters (not just expect them to fall out of the sky in the event of an emergency) you should understand, especially in light of recent events, the importance of having competent and -loyal-interpreters. Yes

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FBI - must one renounce dual citizenship?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »