Greatservice00
Greatservice00
United States
Local time: 04:22
French to English
+ ...
Nov 26, 2018

Salut !!!

I am new here. I am looking for advice. I wanted to know if there was way to get certified online without taking the test in a classroom? Next I also w anted to know if there is a course that could be recommended for translators to learn how to create or manage subtitles, seo, and everything new that is asked of translators nowadays.

I have had the chance to work with agencies and on some websites like fiverr but I wanted to try Proz since a friend recommen
... See more
Salut !!!

I am new here. I am looking for advice. I wanted to know if there was way to get certified online without taking the test in a classroom? Next I also w anted to know if there is a course that could be recommended for translators to learn how to create or manage subtitles, seo, and everything new that is asked of translators nowadays.

I have had the chance to work with agencies and on some websites like fiverr but I wanted to try Proz since a friend recommended it. I want to translate for french to English at first and then Japanese. I would like to get an online certification to go for certified translations such as birth certificates and so on , on fiverr the problem was that college courses or Language proficiency tests were not enough to convince clients that I was capable, even after showing past work or customer reviews. SO I am looking for a way to get certified. Are there any online certification courses ( all online ) that you could recommend and that is taken seriously on the marketplace ? thank you for any advice that you all can provide.
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 17:22
Chinese to English
+ ...
No such thing as translator certification in the US Nov 26, 2018

You can get ATA-certified and it's a meaningful thing to have on your resume, but it has no legal power.

Liviu-Lee Roth

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:22
French to English
What do you mean by "certification"? And be wary of "everything new"! Nov 26, 2018

What do you mean by "certification"?

I wonder what you mean by "certification". Do you mean a specific qualification in translation? It is not always necessary. If you mean certification in order to translate official documents, then you will need to satisfy certain criteria in some countries, but not all. In some countries, you need to apply to a particular authority or to the local appeal court, which is the case in France, for example. I am a "traducteur assermenté" in France, r
... See more
What do you mean by "certification"?

I wonder what you mean by "certification". Do you mean a specific qualification in translation? It is not always necessary. If you mean certification in order to translate official documents, then you will need to satisfy certain criteria in some countries, but not all. In some countries, you need to apply to a particular authority or to the local appeal court, which is the case in France, for example. I am a "traducteur assermenté" in France, registered with the regional Cour d'appel and thus approved to provided "certified" translations for official purposes. It is something you apply for. If your application is successful, then you go onto a special official list. Many countries don't have this type of system and any professional translator can provide a "certified" translation. As already suggested above, I think the US does not have such a system.

By way of information, translating official documents is not the most stimulating form of work and it is far from being the most lucrative. However, if you take pleasure in providing clients with a service, spending a lot of time in making the translation look a lot like the original as you are likely to be working from paper originals or PDFs, perhaps getting known for providing quality work that may attract new clients, then it can be useful. That said, where there are official requirements, applications and registration, you usually have to demonstrate a fair amount of experience already.

Be wary of "everything new".

I think you might find it helpful to be specific, as "everything that is expected of translators nowadays" is almost infinite. The first thing that is expected is linguistic ability and, I would suggest, a speciality that you can support with relevant qualifications and/or experience, preferably both. Beyond that, depending on your speciality, then you will probably find that being proficient in the use of one or more of the common CAT tools will be a plus, certainly if you work with agencies and also some larger corporate clients too.

My general advice would be to make sure you work in areas that you can do to a very high professional standard. Also, although there is no universal consensus on this matter, if you stick to translating into your mother tongue, there is a stronger chance that you will provide work that reads naturally, even if it is highly technical.
Collapse

Gareth Callagy
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Alison Jenner

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:22
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I echo what others have said Nov 26, 2018

Greatservice00 wrote:
I wanted to know if there was way to get certified online without taking the test in a classroom?

If you just want a course to (a) provide you with the correct techniques (e.g. how to handle acronyms, official names, untranslatable text etc and the different ways you would approach translations in different sectors), and (b) provide clients with proof that you have received training, then you could look at something like the course I did - see my profile to avoid blatant advertising. I found it very helpful for my own confidence, although I'm less sure that my clients were interested.

on fiverr the problem was that college courses or Language proficiency tests were not enough to convince clients that I was capable, even after showing past work or customer reviews.

Really? I've always thought the main way to get work through that portal was to offer to work for a pittance . If you're serious about getting work here on ProZ.com, where most of us are professional translators, then you'll find there's a wealth of research material awaiting you:

-- One area of the site is dedicated to people new to the profession and/or the site: the Site Guidance Centre. So start by studying that.
-- Attend the free Meeting Clients webinar as that's really helpful.
-- Then there are the Wikis. Give priority to the ones on risk management and CVs, but work through them all.
-- Make sure you understand the content of the Scam Centre, so you know which "clients" to run from, and sign up for notification of new scams.
-- And spend time reading loads of the threads on this forum plus the Money Matters and other ones. Most questions you have will have been addressed before, but feel free to come back with more specific ones you can't find answers to. Remember that research skills are vital to translators, second only to our language skills.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Ricki Farn
Alison Jenner

Greatservice00
Greatservice00
United States
Local time: 04:22
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much for posting replies Nov 27, 2018

Thank you !!!

I wanted to thank all of you that took the time to post a reply. I am seeking any kind of advice as I am a rookie. I thought that completing some kind of course online or posting a portfolio would help me convince the potential clients. French to English is a very competitive field especially if you are considered a rookie still. I just found another alternative which is to provide samples of translated texts to potential clients. What else could I do to improve my c
... See more
Thank you !!!

I wanted to thank all of you that took the time to post a reply. I am seeking any kind of advice as I am a rookie. I thought that completing some kind of course online or posting a portfolio would help me convince the potential clients. French to English is a very competitive field especially if you are considered a rookie still. I just found another alternative which is to provide samples of translated texts to potential clients. What else could I do to improve my chances ?

What tools also do you, more experienced translators, could recommend for a newbie to acquire ?

Thank you once again for all of your inputs.

[Edited at 2018-11-27 11:54 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for advice on how to get cetified

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »