Seeking advice about a full-time career in translation after obtaining a Masters
Thread poster: Adam, MA Trans
Adam, MA Trans
Adam, MA Trans
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:06
French to English
+ ...
Jan 25, 2019

Hi everybody,

I am now enrolled onto a Masters in Translation at the Open University, which I am really enjoying and finding to be very valuable in enhancing my knowledge of translation.

I am aware that after (hopefully!) graduating successfully I will be able to join the Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL), even obtaining a "Chartered" status, as well as the Institute of Translation and interpreting (ITI) - this would be on condition I achieve a "distinction" in my
... See more
Hi everybody,

I am now enrolled onto a Masters in Translation at the Open University, which I am really enjoying and finding to be very valuable in enhancing my knowledge of translation.

I am aware that after (hopefully!) graduating successfully I will be able to join the Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL), even obtaining a "Chartered" status, as well as the Institute of Translation and interpreting (ITI) - this would be on condition I achieve a "distinction" in my third module (either a dissertation or translation of about 12,000 words).

My question is how valuable is it to have a Masters, a "Chartered" status and to be a member of these translation bodies when looking to establish a full-time career in translation? Are you more likely to be contacted by agencies or clients looking for a collaboration? I never had much luck with obtaining paid translation collaborations when I myself contacted agencies with my CV and (small) cover email. I'm slightly concerned that even with a Masters on my CV, agencies are just going to ignore my email. In addition, I regularly see on Facebook groups and other websites, translators who are offering to work for very low rates, normally translating into languages that aren't their mother tongue, and I've seen agencies reciprocating.

Thanking you in advance for any advice you may be able to give me,
Adam

[Edited at 2019-01-25 12:55 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking advice about a full-time career in translation after obtaining a Masters

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »