Thread poster: boris_bern
boris_bern
boris_bern
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
Feb 12, 2019

Dear all,

yes, "getting established" would be the right term. I intend to buy my first CAT Tool. Having worked with several applications, I need something basic i.o. to:
- translate a book
- translate a minor website
- keep Translation Memories

Now on https://wordfast.com/buy I see: 400. No matter whether I buy V3 or V5.
I like wordfast and its support for s
... See more
Dear all,

yes, "getting established" would be the right term. I intend to buy my first CAT Tool. Having worked with several applications, I need something basic i.o. to:
- translate a book

Now on https://wordfast.com/buy I see: 400. No matter whether I buy V3 or V5.
I like wordfast and its support for several platforms (MAC, Linux), but is it the right application for me?
What would you recommend, plz? Are there other Programmes matching my needs?

Thanks a lot so far..

Best regards,

Boris

[Edited at 2019-02-12 09:32 GMT]
Collapse

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:49
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Check the Software comparison tool for reviews by the ProZ.com community Feb 12, 2019

Hello Boris,

I am not a translator, so I cannot give a personal opinion on which tool is best for you. I just wanted to show you the Software comparison tool at https://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool , where the ProZ.com community has been uploading reviews of their preferred tools.

By the way, Group buy sales are regularly organized by ProZ.com, where you c
... See more
Hello Boris,

I am not a translator, so I cannot give a personal opinion on which tool is best for you. I just wanted to show you the Software comparison tool at https://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool , where the ProZ.com community has been uploading reviews of their preferred tools.

By the way, Group buy sales are regularly organized by ProZ.com, where you can purchase tools at a steep discount: http://proz.com/tgb . For example, you can purchase a Wordfast PRO 5 license + ProZ.com membership from https://www.proz.com/tgb/1193

Welcome to ProZ.com! Please let me know if you have any question or need help with anything.

Best regards,
Alejandro
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:49
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Boris Feb 12, 2019

boris_bern wrote:
I like Wordfast and its support for several platforms (Mac, Linux), but is it the right application for me?

Do you work on multiple platforms, or do you work on only one platform? If you work on only one platform, then the fact that Wordfast runs on multiple platforms is irrelevant.

Have you tried Trados and MemoQ, and if so, what is it about Wordfast that makes it stand out for you?

Are there other Programmes matching my needs?
I need something basic i.o. to:
- translate a book
- keep translation memories

I think all of the all-purpose CAT tools can do these things. This ranges from the expensive tools like Wordfast Classic/Pro, Trados or MemoQ to the medium-priced tools like CafeTran to the cheap/free tools like OmegaT and Wordfast Anywhere. It seems a shame to spend EUR 400 if you're just starting out, and you could have the same benefits from a free solution. If you're not specifically targeting translations agencies as your main source of income, there is no need to "invest" in an expensive CAT tool. Have you tried to translate your web site in OmegaT yet?

Some CAT tools' demo restrictions are so generous that you can continue to use the tools for small to medium jobs even after the evaluation period ran out, e.g. Wordfast Classic, Wordfast Pro and CafeTran. (MemoQ's demo restrictions are too restrictive to use it for professional work after the trial period is over, and Trados' demo version stops working after the trial period is up.)

Alejandro Cavalitto wrote:
By the way, Group Buy sales are regularly organized by ProZ.com, where you can purchase tools at a steep discount: http://proz.com/tgb .

True, although sometimes the benefit is oversold. For example, right now there is a "two for the price of one" offer on Trados, so for anyone who is not familiar with Trados' licensing scheme, it looks like a 50% discount, but in reality it is an 11% discount.

The current Wordfast offer looks much better: WFP 5 (which includes WFP3) for a 35% discount. But don't rush to buy, if you're still uncertain about which tool you want to use, because these types of offers occur regularly.

[Edited at 2019-02-12 16:51 GMT]

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

My experience Feb 12, 2019

I have only used Wordfast since becoming pro, never having switched from Mac OS.

I took the leap and paid the fee, after the 1 month trial.

My first paid job using WF was worth $1000, so it made its cost back immediately.

P.L.F. Persio

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:49
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I think Wordfast has been overpriced since many years Feb 12, 2019

And if you want to buy (at a regular price) Wf Classic and Wf Pro, it costs you even 500 Euro. Take in mind that with some formats, like Excel or Powerpoint, working with Wf Classic is rather cumbersome, so you need the two even if you want to use mainly Wf Classic.
Don't get me wrong: Wf Classic has been my first CAT ever, many years ago, and I am still using it and I like it. It is absolutely reliable, no crashes, no bugs. It is fast to learn (as well as Wf Pro - but I only know Pro 3) a
... See more
And if you want to buy (at a regular price) Wf Classic and Wf Pro, it costs you even 500 Euro. Take in mind that with some formats, like Excel or Powerpoint, working with Wf Classic is rather cumbersome, so you need the two even if you want to use mainly Wf Classic.
Don't get me wrong: Wf Classic has been my first CAT ever, many years ago, and I am still using it and I like it. It is absolutely reliable, no crashes, no bugs. It is fast to learn (as well as Wf Pro - but I only know Pro 3) and easy to use.
But if I were to buy today a CAT, I'd go for Cafetran or MemoQ. Both offer interesting features and a lifelong licence, a good support just as Wf, but cost less (and Wf needs relicencing every 3 years).
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Why not try trial versions FiRST? Feb 12, 2019

- translate a book
1) Books in what file format--DOCX, RTF, ODC, CHM, PDF, DJVU, AZW3, EPUB, TIFF, EXE, and so on?

2) Websites as static HTML, dynamic PHP, compiled Flash/HTML5, mixed and with scripts/applets?

3) All the CATs do create and keep local or remote TMs/glossaries; sometimes they are in a proprietary format to protect the vendors' interests, but it's no question.
... See more
- translate a book
1) Books in what file format--DOCX, RTF, ODC, CHM, PDF, DJVU, AZW3, EPUB, TIFF, EXE, and so on?

2) Websites as static HTML, dynamic PHP, compiled Flash/HTML5, mixed and with scripts/applets?

3) All the CATs do create and keep local or remote TMs/glossaries; sometimes they are in a proprietary format to protect the vendors' interests, but it's no question.

Besides free tools or just a trial go (preferably in a free virtual machine), if the internet connection is stable and broad enough, and it's not about NDA, then free* web-based/online apps like FW Anywhere (FreeTM.com) should do.

As for pricing, a modern CAT consists of:
1) a text editor;
2) a fuzzy matching;
3) a database;
4) a file converter/filter.

Considering free groundworks, .NET/Java and SQL-based solutions, any CAT tool should be under $100, indeed.
Collapse

boris_bern
boris_bern
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
* thanks * Feb 15, 2019

Dear all,
soo... for all this info: thanks a lot.
Now I have enough Info to decide.

I personally just like wordfast, when I used the trial version. Plus: I have linux mint and Windows 7 running - so as a linux user I cherish the company for supporting this platform.

Since I am not professionally active, a trial version appears to be the smartest solution.

I'll keep you posted.

Boris

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Buying Wordfast Pro: 400EUR?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »