Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
What stops translators from thriving?
Thread poster: Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Local time: 19:35
ProZ.com team
May 31, 2019

We’re surrounded by tips, courses and blogs on how to succeed as a translator. The information is out there in a million forms.

The clients are also out there, as we know from our own experience and that of others. There are, it seems, still plenty to go round.

So what are the issues that are holding so many translators back from thriving?

Simple lack of quality? Is it that easy? Do the best translators always end up with the most clients, the most wor
... See more
We’re surrounded by tips, courses and blogs on how to succeed as a translator. The information is out there in a million forms.

The clients are also out there, as we know from our own experience and that of others. There are, it seems, still plenty to go round.

So what are the issues that are holding so many translators back from thriving?

Simple lack of quality? Is it that easy? Do the best translators always end up with the most clients, the most work, the highest levels of professional and personal satisfaction?

Anecdotal evidence would suggest not, but I'd be interested to hear your take on this...
Collapse

Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 20:35
English to Russian
+ ...
What is "thriving"? May 31, 2019

We have to define the verb "to thrive" first.

P.L.F. Persio

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Challenge accepted! May 31, 2019

Vadim Kadyrov wrote:

We have to define the verb "to thrive" first.

Ok here's a rough spontaneous definition:

Have enough money coming in to lead the life that makes you happy
Have enough clients to be able to choose texts that you enjoy (and either reject or outsource the rest)
Have enough time to breathe, not to be translating all day every day without a break
Have the freedom to make more general choices about when, how and with whom to work
Feel generally satisfied with where you are professionally and personally...

Can we work with that?

P.L.F. Persio
Henry Dotterer
Christine Andersen
Jorge Payan
Matheus Chaud
Abril Luhan

Vera Schoen
Vera Schoen  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2008)
German to Swedish
+ ...
Lack of business skills May 31, 2019

A major reason, I believe, is that many translators don’t realize how important the business aspect is. At least that’s the impression I get when I read different forums. It is not enough "just" to be a skilled translator in order to be able to do well in our profession, we also have to be able to negotiate, market ourselves, plan and manage all paperwork effectively. As in any other enterprise. 😊

Andrew Morris
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
DZiW (X)
Kevin Fulton
John Fossey
JPMedicalTrans
Sheila Wilson

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
100% May 31, 2019

Vera Schoen wrote:

A major reason, I believe, is that many translators don’t realize how important the business aspect is. At least that’s the impression I get when I read different forums. It is not enough "just" to be a skilled translator in order to be able to do well in our profession, we also have to be able to negotiate, market ourselves, plan and manage all paperwork effectively. As in any other enterprise. 😊

Personally I couldn't agree more, although I've come across many people (including here) who dismiss all that, and insist that it's just the pristine quality of your work that counts...

Martino Dibeltulo Concu (X)
Abril Luhan

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:35
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't know May 31, 2019

If I consider your spontaneous definitions:
Have enough money coming in to lead the life that makes you happy:
Yes
Have enough clients to be able to choose texts that you enjoy (and either reject or outsource the rest):
Yes
Have enough time to breathe, not to be translating all day every day without a break:
Yes (though not always to be fair)
Have the freedom to make more general choices about when, how and with whom to work:
Yes
Feel genera
... See more
If I consider your spontaneous definitions:
Have enough money coming in to lead the life that makes you happy:
Yes
Have enough clients to be able to choose texts that you enjoy (and either reject or outsource the rest):
Yes
Have enough time to breathe, not to be translating all day every day without a break:
Yes (though not always to be fair)
Have the freedom to make more general choices about when, how and with whom to work:
Yes
Feel generally satisfied with where you are professionally and personally:
Yes
So, according to your definitions it looks like I’m successful, though I don’t picture myself as successful, all I wanted to do was be good at my job and earn enough money to raise my kids. Job done!
Why others can’t thrive? I don’t know, but the fact that everybody thinks that translating is easy might play a role…
Collapse

Kevin Fulton

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Change the story? May 31, 2019

Teresa Borges wrote:

So, according to your definitions it looks like I’m successful, though I don’t picture myself as successful, all I wanted to do was be good at my job and earn enough money to raise my kids. Job done!

Well then maybe it's time to change the way you picture yourself

Thomas Pfann
Vera Schoen
Barbara Sickor

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Being successful and not seeing it May 31, 2019

Teresa Borges wrote:

Teresa, you say you don't picture yourself as successful yet at the same time you also say you achieved all your goals. What could be more successful than achieving your goals?

Andrew Morris
Sheila Wilson
Kay Denney
P.L.F. Persio
Valentina Pecchiar
Barbara Sickor
Olavo Nogueira

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No change May 31, 2019

Andrew Morris wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

Well then maybe it's time to change the way you picture yourself

I'm not going to change now, I'm too old to change my ways...

Jorge Payan

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
The market situation May 31, 2019

I'm still rather new to the game but it seems to me that the market situation is the decisive factor here. The translation market is extremely segmented: every language pair/direction is a market in itself, and within every pair, every specialization is a market. And then, the quality you deliver also puts you in a certain market segment; let's face it, there is a market for high quality translation as well as for low quality translation. Clients who are unwilling to pay anything are prepared to... See more
I'm still rather new to the game but it seems to me that the market situation is the decisive factor here. The translation market is extremely segmented: every language pair/direction is a market in itself, and within every pair, every specialization is a market. And then, the quality you deliver also puts you in a certain market segment; let's face it, there is a market for high quality translation as well as for low quality translation. Clients who are unwilling to pay anything are prepared to accept lousy machine translation, clients who are stingy or lack enough funds are willing to accept amateur quality translations, and only clients who depend on professional quality and who have big enough pockets are willing to pay professional rates.

For the individual translator, everything depends on which of these market segments you are in, and the relation of supply and demand in these market segments. Correct me if I'm wrong, but languages with a high worldwide population of speakers in countries with below average incomes (Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Chinese...?) seem to attract a lot of people seeking a career in freelance translation, so that the competition on the supply side is very fierce here, and the individual translator can do next to nothing in order to thrive, because there is always someone ready to undercut them. In other languages with a smaller population of speakers, and spoken in countries with above average incomes (Japanese, German...?) the market situation can be reversed, demand is higher than supply, and as an individual translator you should be able to thrive no matter what, as long as you don't make any real mistakes.

By acquiring specializations and other skills that put you in market segments with less competition, you can always improve your situation, but I believe that the chances in certain language combinations will always be better than in others.
Collapse

Andrew Morris
P.L.F. Persio
Michele Fauble
Gareth Callagy
Baran Keki
Natalia Pedrosa
Robert Rietvelt

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Bravery to attempt to go to the next level - grit and perseverance needed to move from A to infinity May 31, 2019

Hey Andrew,

I've thought the exact same thing. What is stopping people?

Some observations:

Regarding the certified translator community, I never expected to meet so many part timers, people who say "oh, there's not enough work out there", "I don't trust those online scammers", "The time zones don't suit my schedule" or "I don't work for less than 0.25/word!". They come up with these excuses, rather than making an attempt! They might have hea
... See more
Hey Andrew,

I've thought the exact same thing. What is stopping people?

Some observations:

Regarding the certified translator community, I never expected to meet so many part timers, people who say "oh, there's not enough work out there", "I don't trust those online scammers", "The time zones don't suit my schedule" or "I don't work for less than 0.25/word!". They come up with these excuses, rather than making an attempt! They might have heard of ProZ.com, may even have a profile but are completely inactive yet complain that it doesn't work for them.

Another big factor: Many try to juggle translation with raising children, which in itself is a full-time job!

DJH
Collapse

Andrew Morris
Kay Denney
P.L.F. Persio
Anna Jenman
Robert Rietvelt
Barbara Sickor
Leah Kim

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Thomas May 31, 2019

Thomas Pfann wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

Teresa, you say you don't picture yourself as successful yet at the same time you also say you achieved all your goals. What could be more successful than achieving your goals?

Probably it’s not a bad thing as it keeps me going for more. Anyway, I'm not going to change now, I'm too old to change my ways...

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Nothing stops translators from thriving May 31, 2019

Most (if not all) translators I know do thrive. But, of course, as in all professions, there will always be some who will be unsuccessful, unhappy or dissatisfied – ie. not thriving. I think this is always down to the individual's personality rather than some generic hurdles.

John Fossey
Fiona Grace Peterson
Andrew Morris
Anastasia Naoumi

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Never too old May 31, 2019

Teresa Borges wrote:

Probably it’s not a bad thing as it keeps me going for more. Anyway, I'm not going to change now, I'm too old to change my ways...

I would only accept that argument if you were 110 years old. Which I suspect you're not.

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm not 110 years old... May 31, 2019

Andrew Morris wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

I would only accept that argument if you were 110 years old. Which I suspect you're not.

... I still have 33 years ahead of me...

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What stops translators from thriving?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »