Emily Gilby
Emily Gilby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:07
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
Jul 23, 2019

This may be a stupid question but here goes. I'm nearing the end of my first year as a full-time translator and am starting to run out of English speaking agencies to contact (in the UK anyway). I've been thinking about broadening my search to French/Italian agencies (my source languages) but I'm not sure if I would need to get my CV translated into French and Italian first or if sending my English CV would be acceptable. Any experiences you could share on this matter would be greatly appreciate... See more
This may be a stupid question but here goes. I'm nearing the end of my first year as a full-time translator and am starting to run out of English speaking agencies to contact (in the UK anyway). I've been thinking about broadening my search to French/Italian agencies (my source languages) but I'm not sure if I would need to get my CV translated into French and Italian first or if sending my English CV would be acceptable. Any experiences you could share on this matter would be greatly appreciatedCollapse

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:07
Italian to English
Not a stupid question! Jul 23, 2019

I used to have an Italian version of my CV, then I updated it and didn't get it translated. I've sent it to a lot of agencies in Italy and other non-English speaking countries, and no-one has ever complained.

Emily Gilby
United Kingdom
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 23, 2019

Thanks Fiona! I guess if my CV was in an obscure language then I should probably get it translated but with English being quite universal my gut said it should be okay but didn't want to assume - thank you for confirming my thoughts

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Emily Jul 23, 2019

It's not a stupid question at all! As far as my experience goes, most PMs speak English but it will probably be seen as a nice gesture and appreciated if you write in their language provided you are fluent and don’t make any grammar mistakes.

Laura Tosi
Rachel Waddington
Valérie Ourset
Marco Belcastro Bara

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Hi Emily Jul 23, 2019

I haven't had mine translated. It's bad enough in English! (I'm rubbish at CVs.) If you have a good one, though, I'm sure it would be a useful thing to have for your future clients.

Laura Tosi
Laura Tosi
Italy
Local time: 22:07
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Cv translated Jul 23, 2019

Hi Emily!
I agree with Teresa, I think an English cv is going to be understood almost everywhere, but sending it in the language of the agency would be much appreciated. However, I would suggest you to make it translated or maybe even just proofread by a mothertongue so that it is flawless and makes a good impression. I know many of my friends were surprised when I told them I had my cv translated in my working languages - I must say not when I started my career but later on, when I could
... See more
Hi Emily!
I agree with Teresa, I think an English cv is going to be understood almost everywhere, but sending it in the language of the agency would be much appreciated. However, I would suggest you to make it translated or maybe even just proofread by a mothertongue so that it is flawless and makes a good impression. I know many of my friends were surprised when I told them I had my cv translated in my working languages - I must say not when I started my career but later on, when I could afford it... - but I really think it's the best thing you can do. In the past I had to select Italian translators for a job and within tons of cvs one of my criteria was discarding who had typos or gramar mistakes in their Italian cv. I considered it a sign they were not enough detail-oriented. Just my thoughts though!
Good luck for everything!

Laura
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It's an important mark of respect, IMO, but maybe not essential for English speakers Jul 23, 2019

Emily Scott wrote:
I'm nearing the end of my first year as a full-time translator and am starting to run out of English speaking agencies to contact (in the UK anyway). I've been thinking about broadening my search to French/Italian agencies (my source languages) but I'm not sure if I would need to get my CV translated into French and Italian first or if sending my English CV would be acceptable. Any experiences you could share on this matter would be greatly appreciated

It sounds as though you're only targeting translation agencies (and only UK ones at that, so far ), never anyone outside the industry. I suppose in that case you can expect to deal exclusively with clients who have a high level of English and perhaps it isn't indispensable to have source-language CVs. It's when you want to contact direct clients and even other intermediaries based in your source-language countries (e.g. website developers, publishers...) that it becomes essential to have your marketing materials available in their language. NB, I've avoided saying "translated" because I really don't think an accurate translation is necessarily the best thing to go for. The CV needs to fit their idea of a good CV and appeal to them, rather than being an accurate translation of what works well for British readers.

I personally see it as a mark of respect to offer to communicate entirely in the client's language. A translator should be able to do that, after all. Just because your contact speaks English doesn't mean they're necessarily very comfortable in it, and for me personally it's important that the client feels comfortable. My current clients certainly get by in English, and occasionally write to me in English, but in the main we communicate in French. I proofread monolingual English texts for a Bulgarian translation agency, but although all communication with the end client is in English, even then contact with the agency is in French as that's their preferred language (after Bulgarian, which I definitely don't prefer). Occasionally, I quote for jobs here that are posted in French. In that case I automatically reply in French and send my French CV. More often, it's all done in English. If I were to cold-call potential clients in a French-speaking country I'd try to find out how they prefer to market themselves. If website, FB page, LinkedIn profile etc were mainly in French I'd write in French, otherwise I'd write in English. I'd send both CVs anyway so they can choose.

Marco Belcastro Bara

Emily Gilby
United Kingdom
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Jul 23, 2019

Thanks everyone for your responses and for backing up what I thought. Rest assured, I haven't just been contacting UK agencies (although the bulk of them have been), I just haven't been sure how to approach companies who look like they deal exclusively in French/Italian for fear that I may not be approaching in the right way sending a CV in English and end up wasting mine and their time. I'll definitely be looking at getting French and Italian versions of my CV in the near future, hopefully when... See more
Thanks everyone for your responses and for backing up what I thought. Rest assured, I haven't just been contacting UK agencies (although the bulk of them have been), I just haven't been sure how to approach companies who look like they deal exclusively in French/Italian for fear that I may not be approaching in the right way sending a CV in English and end up wasting mine and their time. I'll definitely be looking at getting French and Italian versions of my CV in the near future, hopefully when I've made a few more pennies Thanks again!Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating CV?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »