Thread poster: Brian Joyce
Dulz (X)
Dulz (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Of course Mar 10, 2020

Sheila Wilson wrote:
I'm fully prepared to spend time helping those who want to be helped to get established, but I feel we're all being taken advantage of here.

I can only repeat myself: "Of course it's a joke. It's more than obvious." (Cf. my comment on page 2)

Either he's a joke (which is more than obvious) or he's a lost cause, but it's definitely no use explaining comma rules or the meaning of French words to him.

Thomas T. Frost

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:52
Danish to English
+ ...
Comedy never harms Mar 10, 2020

A bit of comedy never harms. I now think that it's in that category we need to file this entertaining episode, which has been a bit like watching the fake Officer Crabtree, the English 'polooceman' who thinks he can speak French (from the British sitcom 'Allo 'Allo!, in case some of the younger members are too young to have noticed it).

I guess Brian was simply 'pissing' by the forum and 'winded' to have some fun, to remain in Officer Crabtree's mispronounced vocabulary.
<
... See more
A bit of comedy never harms. I now think that it's in that category we need to file this entertaining episode, which has been a bit like watching the fake Officer Crabtree, the English 'polooceman' who thinks he can speak French (from the British sitcom 'Allo 'Allo!, in case some of the younger members are too young to have noticed it).

I guess Brian was simply 'pissing' by the forum and 'winded' to have some fun, to remain in Officer Crabtree's mispronounced vocabulary.

[Edited at 2020-03-10 12:52 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

Brian Joyce
Brian Joyce  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2022)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Mais le frontière est mince entre confiance et mégalomanie Mar 10, 2020

Any y'all wanna hear a joke?
I have learnt more about this business, in the last few days, then most people learn in 2 years at uni.
Don't you think that's funny. I do.
I believe this thread will be a valuable resource to newcomers. I particularly recommend the posts by Samuel Murray and Dan Lucas, their conduct on this thread has been an immense education.
... See more
Any y'all wanna hear a joke?
I have learnt more about this business, in the last few days, then most people learn in 2 years at uni.
Don't you think that's funny. I do.
I believe this thread will be a valuable resource to newcomers. I particularly recommend the posts by Samuel Murray and Dan Lucas, their conduct on this thread has been an immense education.
Anyway, in his 1950 translation of The Iliad, (penguin) E.V Rieu, Balliol scholar and WW 1 veteran said
"Homer is more of a realist than critics, most of whom, I dare say, had never seen battle".
He could be arguing that we should only translate what we understand. Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.

"impressed by the inventive ways that you have dealt with elements of the text that are often considered untranslatable,"
Samuel Murray

All the best, B.

[Edited at 2020-03-10 16:45 GMT]
Collapse

Yolande Hivart
Yolande Hivart
Austria
Local time: 06:53
Member (2016)
German to French
2 cents Mar 10, 2020

Brian Joyce wrote:
He could be arguing that we should only translate what we understand. Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.

Soros said if I remember well, I only invest in what I understand. But then he is reading the books he needs for it and does not ask the competitors on what to invest.
Today something like this came to my mind: arguing on a public place is like designing the relevancy of a wikipedia entry by the peer approval rates. And I would not start to argue about an admired wikipedia entry even if I found something doubtful on my side, sometimes it simply gets swallowed into the depth of the internet.
Once you have made your mind if you should go for it. The best advices are given in the shadows by people who had gone past the need to prove you right or wrong.
Once you know where you want to go, you are past the need of publicly asking for clues. You simply follow your way and the less people know about it, the less likely they will stand in your way.
If you are that good, well for you, if you troll, you had the advices. But in the end, after two pages it is only entertainment.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

estimating my worth

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »