Verónica
Verónica
Mexico
Local time: 16:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Excellent Idea Dec 23, 2020

Great idea Mervyn! Thanks for the advice.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:01
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Canculingua Dec 23, 2020

...but I really don't know how it would sound in Spanish and whether it does not have a weird connotation.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 21:01
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Localisation issue Dec 23, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

...but I really don't know how it would sound in Spanish and whether it does not have a weird connotation.

In Spanish it may work, but in Portuguese I wouldn't recommend it.

Angie Garbarino
Matthias Brombach

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Yes Dec 24, 2020

expressisverbis wrote

In Spanish it may work, but in Portuguese I wouldn't recommend it.

Same in italian vulgar connotation

expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I didn't know but was afraid of it Dec 24, 2020

Angie Garbarino wrote:
Same in italian vulgar connotation

I collaborate with agencies some of them call themselves xxxlingua. Could you then please elaborate, what part of my suggestion would be questionable and how to solve it in a constructive way, by considering both, the name of the city and the suffix "lingua" or "lingo" etc.? Thanks.

[Bearbeitet am 2020-12-24 09:07 GMT]

expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Verónica Dec 24, 2020

¡De nada! Maybe, if you use it, I can bathe in the reflected glory, and maybe even be asked about it on a chat show in years to come:

- "So, not just scurrilous semi-scandalous stories on translation websites, then, Mr H? Some corporate name-choosing as well for an agency that has now become an international emporium, and indeed a household name?"

- "Well, Eric, ha-ha, I think you'll find the Part I Was Called Upon To Play in one of the most Astounding Small-Acorn-To-
... See more
¡De nada! Maybe, if you use it, I can bathe in the reflected glory, and maybe even be asked about it on a chat show in years to come:

- "So, not just scurrilous semi-scandalous stories on translation websites, then, Mr H? Some corporate name-choosing as well for an agency that has now become an international emporium, and indeed a household name?"

- "Well, Eric, ha-ha, I think you'll find the Part I Was Called Upon To Play in one of the most Astounding Small-Acorn-To-Mighty-Oak Success Stories The World Has Ever Known was a very small one, ha-ha. But, Eric, a point of order here, if I may, ha-ha, because it wasn't at all a matter of Choosing, and really I didn't Choose anything. Choose is not the word here. No, I like to think that the name of Verónica's company, and also Verónica's, ha-ha, was Actually There All The Time, and all I did was Find It for her, I mean them."

- "And is it really true that Zuckerberg wants to hire you for an eight-figure sum to rename his company?"

- "Well, Eric, I obviously can't comment at this stage on any major "facelift", ha-ha, that Mark may be contemplating, or that I may or may not be rolling out with Mark. All I can say is that we've lunched a few times recently, but it's still too early to ...

Etc. etc.

[Edited at 2020-12-24 11:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-12-24 15:00 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Lingua no problems Dec 24, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

I collaborate with agencies some of them call themselves xxxlingua. Could you then please elaborate, what part of my suggestion would be questionable and how to solve it in a constructive way, by considering both, the name of the city and the suffix "lingua" or "lingo" etc.? Thanks.

Cancu can remember ASS OF DOG where Can is Cane (dog) and CU abbreviation of ass, a mix that with lingua become really vulgar.

[Edited at 2020-12-24 12:50 GMT]

expressisverbis
Tom in London
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Thanks for explaining it to me Dec 24, 2020

Angie Garbarino wrote:
a mix that with lingua become really vulgar.

Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Disgusting Dec 25, 2020

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Cancu can remember ASS OF DOG where Can is Cane (dog) and CU abbreviation of ass, a mix that with lingua become really vulgar.

[Edited at 2020-12-24 12:50 GMT]

Yes- just about as disgusting as you could get.

This reminds me a little of someone I used to know in Italy whose surname was Facchinetti. I advised him never to visit London, or at least if he did visit London, never to introduce himself to anyone by just saying "Facchinetti".

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Could have been worse Dec 25, 2020

He could have been called Facchinora. Or Facchinell. Thanks for that on Xmas morning, Tom!

Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What NOT to include (just an opinion) Dec 25, 2020

If I may, in my over 25 years in business, I have dealt with many translation agencies and offices. The best performers (in terms of quality of their relationship with me, their reliability as payers, and the nature of the work) are always firms whose name contains the name or surname of their owners. They feel their own personal prestige is at stake in everything they do, and that makes them make things right (or at least try).

Brand names that contain or refer to the firm's locati
... See more
If I may, in my over 25 years in business, I have dealt with many translation agencies and offices. The best performers (in terms of quality of their relationship with me, their reliability as payers, and the nature of the work) are always firms whose name contains the name or surname of their owners. They feel their own personal prestige is at stake in everything they do, and that makes them make things right (or at least try).

Brand names that contain or refer to the firm's location and/or their culture, or that use nouns that remind of positive qualities (be it agility, quality, reliability, wisdom, or the like) are usually quite alright when I have dealt with firms that used such names.

On the other hand, there are bits of names I have grown to be wary of when they appear in translation firm names. I am not saying they automatically make a bad firm (I have a number of clients that contain them in their names and are excellent clients), but if only statistically, for my brand name I would steer away from anything like:
- Trans
- Lang
- Ling
- Loc
- XL
- World
- Glob
- Tech

Just a completely subjective point of view, I know!
Collapse

Tom in London
expressisverbis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Jane F
Christine Andersen

gayd (X)
gayd (X)
the best Dec 25, 2020

The best name would definitely be cunilingua

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Thank you ... Dec 25, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Yes- just about as disgusting as you could get.

... for your constructive contribution, for completely quoting my lapsus again and: Merry Christmas, Tom!
I soon may expect (or ask for) a suggestion from you, how you would combine the words "Cancun", which is the name of the City, where the asker lives, and "lingua" or "linguo" resp. "lingo" etc. into a word construction, which would reflect my idea in a way, which isn't disgusting at all, even when such a combination wouldn't be inventive or groundbreaking at all. Thank you, Tom, and once again "Merry Christmas" to you (even if you may have other plans).

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other plans!!!! Dec 25, 2020

You've gotta laugh, Tom! I'm sure you don't have other plans ...!

On the subject of lingua/lengua, it's out there all over the place. I wouldn't bother with it.

Plus, I'm not sure whether Spaniards and Italians twitch at the sound of those words, and they might cut it in certain sectors, ahem, but I know how I'd twitch at the mention of tongue as a marketing device.

Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
actually I do Dec 25, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

You've gotta laugh, Tom! I'm sure you don't have other plans ...!

I'm working. I don't do Christmas.

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Name for Translation Agency

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »