Martin Päres
Martin Päres
Sweden
Local time: 12:07
English to Swedish
+ ...
Apr 30, 2021

Hi

Is there one or two payment methods that are commonly used among translators and clients, and that doesn't cost much?

I haven't worked with international clients before, so I feel quite lost when it comes to international payments etc. There seem to be a lot of options out there that I've never even heard of.

Regarding invoicing I thought it could be good to use ProZ template for customer here at Proz and use the invoicing feature in my accounting app to
... See more
Hi

Is there one or two payment methods that are commonly used among translators and clients, and that doesn't cost much?

I haven't worked with international clients before, so I feel quite lost when it comes to international payments etc. There seem to be a lot of options out there that I've never even heard of.

Regarding invoicing I thought it could be good to use ProZ template for customer here at Proz and use the invoicing feature in my accounting app to send to Swedish customers. What do you say?

Before starting out here at ProZ, I would like to be well prepared regarding the invoicing and payment part.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:07
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Martin Apr 30, 2021

Within the EU the best payment method is electronic bank transfers by far. Some of my non-EU customers pay my invoices through Transferwise, it’s cheaper and quicker than other similar methods. Regarding invoicing, I’ve never used Proz template as I went for something more customized and so I did my own template in Excel. Good luck!

Dalia Nour

Martin Päres
Martin Päres
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Teresa Apr 30, 2021

Teresa Borges wrote:

Within the EU the best payment method is electronic bank transfers by far. Some of my non-EU customers pay my invoices through Transferwise, it’s cheaper and quicker than other similar methods. Regarding invoicing, I’ve never used Proz template as I went for something more customized and so I did my own template in Excel. Good luck!

Thanks

Do you mean from bank to bank with my IBAN number?

Another reason I have been hesitating and have had difficulties to decide is because I've read that bank transfer is more expensive than the new app based services, like Transferwise, Skrill, etc.

On the other hand, even though they claim to be free of charge, you seem to have to pay a fee whenever you want to transfer the money to you bank account. Some have a fixed fee while other charge a percentage of the sum.

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Martin Apr 30, 2021

Yes, that’s exactly what I mean: payment from a bank account to another bank account with the IBAN number. With Transferwise (now called Wise) you only pay a fee to make a transfer, not to receive it and the money goes directly to your bank account. As I told you I’ve been receiving some payments through Transferwise and I haven’t paid a cent. I did pay a small fee when I used Transferwise to send money to one of my daughters who lives in Mexico (not as much as I would have to pay my bank ... See more
Yes, that’s exactly what I mean: payment from a bank account to another bank account with the IBAN number. With Transferwise (now called Wise) you only pay a fee to make a transfer, not to receive it and the money goes directly to your bank account. As I told you I’ve been receiving some payments through Transferwise and I haven’t paid a cent. I did pay a small fee when I used Transferwise to send money to one of my daughters who lives in Mexico (not as much as I would have to pay my bank and much quicker: the money was in Cancún the following day).Collapse

Martin Päres
Martin Päres
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@teresa May 1, 2021

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

So in the Payment methods accepted field I then chose Wire Transfer for bank to bank transferring and add Wise (TransferWise) as another option. Should I maybe specify somewhere else that I specifially use "bank to bank" and Wise, since it only says Wire transfer and Other in the Payment methods accepted field?

And is there any recommendation for how to specify it on the invoice?

What's your opinion on PayPal I hav
... See more
Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

So in the Payment methods accepted field I then chose Wire Transfer for bank to bank transferring and add Wise (TransferWise) as another option. Should I maybe specify somewhere else that I specifially use "bank to bank" and Wise, since it only says Wire transfer and Other in the Payment methods accepted field?

And is there any recommendation for how to specify it on the invoice?

What's your opinion on PayPal I have an old account that I several years ago only used for transferring money when buying things.
Collapse

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Martin May 1, 2021

My invoices say at the end:

“Payments are to be made upon receipt/within xxx days to our account on
Bank XXXXXXXXX
IBAN: PT 50 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX SWIFT: XXXXXXXX”

None of my customers use PayPal to pay me (I work mainly with EU customers). I do have a PayPal account for my online shopping.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Bank transfer May 1, 2021

Martin you’re in Sweden one of the most advanced countries in the world, just ask for a bank transfer giving the details Theresa suggests. I have never used or offered any other form of payment.

Michele Fauble

Martin Päres
Martin Päres
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@teresa May 1, 2021

Great, thanks.

Martin Päres
Martin Päres
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ chris May 1, 2021

Chris S wrote:

Martin you’re in Sweden one of the most advanced countries in the world, just ask for a bank transfer giving the details Theresa suggests. I have never used or offered any other form of payment.

Thanks
Yes, I might be in Sweden, but not my future clients

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

International invoicing and payments methods for a beginner

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »