Oleg Prots
Oleg Prots  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 01:43
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Jul 1, 2002

Greetings to everyone!

I am interested if someone could share the experience of using TRANMAIL - the list of agency addresses offered by Alex Eames.

I am seriously considering purchase of this list, but I would be grateful to anyone who\'d give me some insight as to whether it is really so useful in getting established at the market.

I am a bit concerned about the agencies\' reaction - are they happy of being on this list and getting lots of resumes from
... See more
Greetings to everyone!

I am interested if someone could share the experience of using TRANMAIL - the list of agency addresses offered by Alex Eames.

I am seriously considering purchase of this list, but I would be grateful to anyone who\'d give me some insight as to whether it is really so useful in getting established at the market.

I am a bit concerned about the agencies\' reaction - are they happy of being on this list and getting lots of resumes from translators all over the world?

Thanks for any comments,

Oleg
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:43
English to German
+ ...
Check past forum discussions Jul 1, 2002

Hi.

I don\'t have any experience with the list myself, but I recall two forum threads in this respect (I found them using the \'Search\' function for \'Tranmail\' on the left - you may want to use slightly different search criteria):

www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=20821&post=4812#4812

... See more
Hi.

I don\'t have any experience with the list myself, but I recall two forum threads in this respect (I found them using the \'Search\' function for \'Tranmail\' on the left - you may want to use slightly different search criteria):

www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=20821&post=4812#4812

www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=20821&post=9829#9829

Collapse

Robin Salmon (X)
Robin Salmon (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 09:43
German to English
+ ...
Tranmail Jul 2, 2002

I found tranmail a big help when I started and I think I have only had 2 complaints from people, in about 18 months. I don\'t think I would have been able to get started otherwise. I have just purchased an update and the results have been good, once more. When you think about it, if you waited for agencies to e-mail you, you would have a long wait!

Art Moiseev (X)
Art Moiseev (X)
Russian to English
+ ...
Some stats Jul 2, 2002

Agencies in the database: 1829

Agencies in the US: 535

Agencies in the UK: 259

Agencies in Russia: 6

Agencies in Ukraine: 2

Marketing letters sent so far: 491

Replies received: 44 (keep on coming)

Application forms filled in additionally on web-sites as required by some agencies: about 10

Application forms sent by regular mail as required by some agencies: 4

Undeliverable messages: 21

Agencies tha
... See more
Agencies in the database: 1829

Agencies in the US: 535

Agencies in the UK: 259

Agencies in Russia: 6

Agencies in Ukraine: 2

Marketing letters sent so far: 491

Replies received: 44 (keep on coming)

Application forms filled in additionally on web-sites as required by some agencies: about 10

Application forms sent by regular mail as required by some agencies: 4

Undeliverable messages: 21

Agencies that blocked my email address: 8

Rude replies: 0

Agenices that required a translation test: 1

Jobs received: 0

Good luck!
Collapse

Clive Wilshin
Clive Wilshin  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:43
Russian to English
+ ...
So far, so good Jul 2, 2002

I have so far used less than 10% of the data base and have had several interested replies and two jobs. And no annoyed replies.

I couldn\'t believe the negative comments in the threads linked to above. The suggestion that Alex is advocating spamming is ridiculous, as can clearly be seen from reading his detailed advice, which comes with the database. He in particular advises against attaching your cv in the initial email - I refer agencies to my website, but they almost a
... See more
I have so far used less than 10% of the data base and have had several interested replies and two jobs. And no annoyed replies.

I couldn\'t believe the negative comments in the threads linked to above. The suggestion that Alex is advocating spamming is ridiculous, as can clearly be seen from reading his detailed advice, which comes with the database. He in particular advises against attaching your cv in the initial email - I refer agencies to my website, but they almost always ask to be sent an attachment. But it\'s better to wait to be asked.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 19:43
SITE FOUNDER
What have you got to lose? Jul 2, 2002

Tranmail provides just another way to generate sales, and it sounds like the consensus is that if you use it properly, you might get good results.

It never hurts to market yourself, and at the price of $80, you stand to save some time, and at least, don\'t have much to lose.

Here\'s the link:

http://www.translatortips.net/tranmail.html

... See more
Tranmail provides just another way to generate sales, and it sounds like the consensus is that if you use it properly, you might get good results.

It never hurts to market yourself, and at the price of $80, you stand to save some time, and at least, don\'t have much to lose.

Here\'s the link:

http://www.translatortips.net/tranmail.html

Henry
Collapse

Michelle Zeiler
Michelle Zeiler
United States
Local time: 19:43
Japanese to English
Is it different from Glenn's Guide? Jul 2, 2002

How much does it overlap with Glenn\'s Guide to Translation Agencies?

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:43
Italian to English
+ ...
Is Glenn's Guide still being published? Jul 2, 2002

I didn\'t think Glenn\'s Guide was still being published. But if it is, I\'d recommend it. Probably eight percent of the emails I sent off bounced back (no such user, etc). But my return rate from what I sent out was pretty good - I gained 4 new clients, two of which provide very regular work.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2002-07-02 17:05, Zeiler wrote:

How much does it overlap with Glenn\'s Guide t... See more
I didn\'t think Glenn\'s Guide was still being published. But if it is, I\'d recommend it. Probably eight percent of the emails I sent off bounced back (no such user, etc). But my return rate from what I sent out was pretty good - I gained 4 new clients, two of which provide very regular work.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2002-07-02 17:05, Zeiler wrote:

How much does it overlap with Glenn\'s Guide to Translation Agencies?

Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:43
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Glenn's Guide & alternatives Jul 2, 2002

I think Glenn\'s Guide must have folded. Tried Google and found several links purporting to take me there but they came up as \"This page not available\" every time.

Bur I found a master list of listings of translation agencies at:

www.foreignword.com/Translators/agencies.htm

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can anyone comment on TRANMAIL, please?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »