which one is the most urgent: acquiring accreditation or buying platinum membership
Thread poster: Abdul Karim (X)
Abdul Karim (X)
Abdul Karim (X)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Jul 24, 2002

I am a new freelancer of English>Indonesian, and, thank God very much, I have win my FIRST international job (around 4000 source words).

It raises my self-confidence, and I want to make it higher (and in order to win jobs more frequent). Unfortunately, I do not know what I have to do.

Should I increase my membership into Premium/Platinum (I\'m a non-paying member of Proz.com) or acquire a Certification (eg. NAATI, ATA)?

MikeGarcia
MikeGarcia  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
A suggestion Jul 24, 2002

Abdul:I would say both, plus trying to get as much kudoz points as you can possibly get,so as to show your experience and professionalism, as well as making yourself known between your pairs.

Kind regards from Argentina.
[addsig]

Russell Gillis
Russell Gillis  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:35
Spanish to English
Get your accreditation first. Jul 25, 2002

I can tell you from personal experience that I have received many small jobs through my accreditation, which came as a result of references from other colleagues and through my translators\' association.

On the other hand, I look at many people with Platinum memberships, and they have yet to get a job from this site. Unfortunately, many of the jobs go to the lowest bidder, and many paying members aren\'t interested in getting into bidding wars.

When it
... See more
I can tell you from personal experience that I have received many small jobs through my accreditation, which came as a result of references from other colleagues and through my translators\' association.

On the other hand, I look at many people with Platinum memberships, and they have yet to get a job from this site. Unfortunately, many of the jobs go to the lowest bidder, and many paying members aren\'t interested in getting into bidding wars.

When it comes down to it, accreditation actually tells the client or agency that you are a competent translator. On the other hand, a Platinum membership will not do that. The things you can do on this site to build your competency (Kudoz points, etc.) are part of the free service anyways.

Eventually I do plan to get my Platinum membership, but it is on the bottom of a long list of expenses. Honestly, I don\'t come to this site for jobs. I come here to learn and to interact professionally with other colleagues around the world.

Just my 2 cents!
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:35
German to English
Accreditation! Jul 25, 2002

I think that the accreditation gives you a more solid base on which to build your freelance business. I got the accreditation and then took out the platinum membership. There will always be agencies that will give people without accreditation work - often at the lower end of the payment scale but I guess your aim was the same as mine to build up freelance work until it pays all the bills! So although accreditation may take a long time and cost a lot - in my case 2 years and around GBP1000 - it\'... See more
I think that the accreditation gives you a more solid base on which to build your freelance business. I got the accreditation and then took out the platinum membership. There will always be agencies that will give people without accreditation work - often at the lower end of the payment scale but I guess your aim was the same as mine to build up freelance work until it pays all the bills! So although accreditation may take a long time and cost a lot - in my case 2 years and around GBP1000 - it\'s the best long term solution.

Wishing you every success!
Collapse

mmachado (X)
mmachado (X)
English to Portuguese
Accreditation is a good start Jul 25, 2002

Hello,

I quite agree with Russel and Gillian. Accreditation will give you more chances of getting known in the area and will be seen by clients as a reliable source of information about you. Even because not everyone can get accreditation in certain translation associations, which is good. Accreditation Associations are generally very carefull on testing. Try getting accreditation in one association which will be testing you first, not just one that accepts your application
... See more
Hello,

I quite agree with Russel and Gillian. Accreditation will give you more chances of getting known in the area and will be seen by clients as a reliable source of information about you. Even because not everyone can get accreditation in certain translation associations, which is good. Accreditation Associations are generally very carefull on testing. Try getting accreditation in one association which will be testing you first, not just one that accepts your application immediately.

Hope this helps

All the best

mmachado

Collapse

Teresa Duran-Sanchez
Teresa Duran-Sanchez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:35
German to Spanish
+ ...
I think this was discussed before... Jul 25, 2002

...But my question is (sorry if I\'m being repetitive): what is an accreditation? So far I have considered my BA Hon\'s in Translation to be a good and solid proof that I can translate. Is it really? Would you nevertheless recommend joining some kind of professional board or association? On which basis?

As for the Platinum membership, I haven\'t needed it so far to get excellent jobs in this page, but I recommend it if you lack experience or some kind of \"accreditation\" (s
... See more
...But my question is (sorry if I\'m being repetitive): what is an accreditation? So far I have considered my BA Hon\'s in Translation to be a good and solid proof that I can translate. Is it really? Would you nevertheless recommend joining some kind of professional board or association? On which basis?

As for the Platinum membership, I haven\'t needed it so far to get excellent jobs in this page, but I recommend it if you lack experience or some kind of \"accreditation\" (somebody explain to me what that means!).

Personally, I would become a Platinum member for many good reasons:

1.- As a means of thanking the founders of this page for rendering such an excellent and useful service.

2.- To be able to access all facilities in this page instead of just a few.

I think it\'s worth the money
Collapse

Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:35
English to Italian
+ ...
Acquiring new knowledges and skills Jul 25, 2002

Also after several years of translation, learning never stops. I would suggest to focus on getting an accreditation, which you cannot get without enough competence. In the meantime, a Platinum membership could be worthwile.

Russell Gillis
Russell Gillis  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:35
Spanish to English
Answer to Cidcampeador Jul 25, 2002

In Canada, there are a few universities and institutions which offer translation degrees (as you mention), which is just like getting any other degree.

Accreditation (or certification), means that you are tested by an association, which usually includes an exam and professional experience.

In Canada for example, many associations now require actual experience plus a passing grade on their exam. This allows you to become a member of the association, and
... See more
In Canada, there are a few universities and institutions which offer translation degrees (as you mention), which is just like getting any other degree.

Accreditation (or certification), means that you are tested by an association, which usually includes an exam and professional experience.

In Canada for example, many associations now require actual experience plus a passing grade on their exam. This allows you to become a member of the association, and opens more doors for you when you are marketing yourself to prospective clients.

I imagine there has to be some sort of professional association in the UK. I think just about every country has one.
Collapse

Golden View
Golden View  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 21:35
English to Chinese
+ ...
What if my language does not have accreditation? Aug 30, 2002

For example, there are Translator Associations in China, but they do not have accrediatation program like ATA.

Do I need to be ATA accredited to get more business. I\'m living in China, why ATA is a must?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

which one is the most urgent: acquiring accreditation or buying platinum membership

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »