Languages Graduate, will anyone hire me?!
Thread poster: Anna Moorby DipTrans
Anna Moorby DipTrans
Anna Moorby DipTrans  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 20, 2002

I have recently graduated in Spanish and French. Spanish is my stronger language as I have lived there. I am working towards my IoL DipTrans. What kind of work can I get without a qualification? Will anyone hire me?! Where do people hear about in-house translating jobs, and how do people get them without having any experience? I\'ve seen a few, but all of them have required experience. Please help a struggling beginner translator!!

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:11
German to English
Should be part of the degree course Aug 20, 2002

I\'m amazed at the number of questions like this which indicate that many language colleges and universities apparently don\'t teach their students how to go about getting a job or freelance work once they have graduated.

I attained my IT and telecommunications skills first and my language skills second and it appears that this approach makes it much easier to get work.

Sorry if this is a little off-thread and good luck with your job hunting. ...
See more
I\'m amazed at the number of questions like this which indicate that many language colleges and universities apparently don\'t teach their students how to go about getting a job or freelance work once they have graduated.

I attained my IT and telecommunications skills first and my language skills second and it appears that this approach makes it much easier to get work.

Sorry if this is a little off-thread and good luck with your job hunting.
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Looking on the positive side ... Aug 21, 2002

I started freelancing with no experience except what I\'d gained on other jobs. I went about it like this:

1) Buy a computer and learn how to use it well, esp. Word

2) Do loads of internet research and take advantage of everything available

3) Start training for a recognised qualification

4) Buy the dictionaries

5) Prepare your CV and register with agencies

6) Gain experience

7) When it\'s paying buy some more dictionaries and
... See more
I started freelancing with no experience except what I\'d gained on other jobs. I went about it like this:

1) Buy a computer and learn how to use it well, esp. Word

2) Do loads of internet research and take advantage of everything available

3) Start training for a recognised qualification

4) Buy the dictionaries

5) Prepare your CV and register with agencies

6) Gain experience

7) When it\'s paying buy some more dictionaries and start learning about CAT tools

Then over time you\'ll be qualified, experienced and with it as far as CAT tools are concerned. Agencies that require experience and qualifications will then take you on and you can earn more money. It\'s not going to happen over night but like all small businesses if you work hard at it you\'ll get there in the end. I love it - although it may not be for everyone. If you love being with people and can\'t imagine spending your days alone in front of the computer maybe you should consider something different. As for working with agencies it may be a good way to start but that\'s not how I did it!
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
and as for in-house jobs Aug 21, 2002

apply to the same agencies as for freelance ones. Do you get the jobs mailing lists? You see, that\'s what I was saying about research. If you do your research well you\'ll find the answers to your questions. Start at google and search fro \"translation jobs\". Go for it!

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:11
German to English
+ ...
Sources of in-house jobs Aug 21, 2002

First figure out where you want to be and where your market is (may not coincide!). For example, I am in the US and translate German>English, so in-house jobs are pretty much non-existent.

Then find out if your college has a career center or career advisor. They are a fantastic source of leads. In the US this is standard, but it may not be in Europe.

Start reading all of the forums, sites, journals, and discussion lists with news and information for tra
... See more
First figure out where you want to be and where your market is (may not coincide!). For example, I am in the US and translate German>English, so in-house jobs are pretty much non-existent.

Then find out if your college has a career center or career advisor. They are a fantastic source of leads. In the US this is standard, but it may not be in Europe.

Start reading all of the forums, sites, journals, and discussion lists with news and information for translators - research this on the Web. These have many job ads and valuable tips for beginners. Like Gillian said there are even entire lists devoted to jobs for translators; check YahooGroups for those.

Otherwise, you can look in regular online job sites by searching for the keyword \"translator\" (or equivalent in your languages) or check the newspaper in the nearest large city (again, depending on where your market is).

HTH!

Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Networking, too Aug 21, 2002

I forgot to mention networking - keep up with your classmates in all languages. You don\'t know when someone might be able to give you a tip about a job or vice versa.

Anna Moorby DipTrans
Anna Moorby DipTrans  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 29, 2002

Thanks everyone for your advise. I\'ll keep trying, bound to get somewhere in the end!

Intergraf
Intergraf  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Volunteer work Aug 30, 2002

Another way to pick up experience is to volunteer your services and do freebies for charitable organizations or hospitals.

You\'ll be helping a cause you like, and it gives you clients to put on your list. It might even help you network and get paying clients out of it. (You could have some cards printed and ask them to feel free to pass them along.)

Good luck!

Terry

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Languages Graduate, will anyone hire me?!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »