Beginner ... glad for all the advice I can get
Thread poster: lamees (X)
lamees (X)
lamees (X)
Local time: 10:58
English to Arabic
+ ...
Nov 6, 2001

I have read the comments from Nikki for new starters, however they don\'t much apply for me. In my country it is not at all to start like you described. You need connections, otherwise you can\'t get in. I need to be able to make that famous first step, then the word-of-mouth mill can take over. I have left a 10 year job with a good salary because I believe in trying to achieve my dream of being a freelance translator. I would like to fix on the literary field. I can translate english & german i... See more
I have read the comments from Nikki for new starters, however they don\'t much apply for me. In my country it is not at all to start like you described. You need connections, otherwise you can\'t get in. I need to be able to make that famous first step, then the word-of-mouth mill can take over. I have left a 10 year job with a good salary because I believe in trying to achieve my dream of being a freelance translator. I would like to fix on the literary field. I can translate english & german into arbaic, arabic and german into english. I am trying to reach someone in my neighbouring countries. Does anyone have email addresses for publishers in Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, UAE?

If you have any advice for me I would be glad to receive it.

Thanks a lot in advance

Lamees
Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 03:58
German to English
+ ...
Good luck Nov 6, 2001

... is what you need. No, I am not trying to be sarcastic. Breaking into literary translation is difficult no matter where you are.

Maybe you have been following the discussion on declining rates on this site. Be warned: there is no real money in literary translation. Even the most successful literary translators cannot support themselves on this activity alone - they all have to tackle \"regular\" translation work as well or find themselves some part-time job, etc.
... See more
... is what you need. No, I am not trying to be sarcastic. Breaking into literary translation is difficult no matter where you are.

Maybe you have been following the discussion on declining rates on this site. Be warned: there is no real money in literary translation. Even the most successful literary translators cannot support themselves on this activity alone - they all have to tackle \"regular\" translation work as well or find themselves some part-time job, etc.

Trying to become a writer takes a lot of blood and sweat and many years of hardship. Breaking into the field of literary translation is even more difficult (and you\'ll work for a pittance).

But on a final and more positive note: literary translation is definitely more rewarding in non-pecuniary terms than all other types of translation.

Check back and let us know how you are getting on. Good luck!
Collapse

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:58
English to German
+ ...
Nov 6, 2001

I did a quick google search on publishers+ egypt and came to the following page which will lead you to the yellow pages directory of Jordan, Egypt, Bahrein etc.-

http://www.tele-gulf.com.bh/.

You will hopefully get lots of publisher addresses that way.

Next step: Take a book that you really like( and one that has not yet been translated!), translate a chapter or so into your mother tongue,
... See more
I did a quick google search on publishers+ egypt and came to the following page which will lead you to the yellow pages directory of Jordan, Egypt, Bahrein etc.-

http://www.tele-gulf.com.bh/.

You will hopefully get lots of publisher addresses that way.

Next step: Take a book that you really like( and one that has not yet been translated!), translate a chapter or so into your mother tongue, add a compelling description of the content of the book and why it simply must be translated(it must have been an oversight that it hasn\'t so far!!), do some research on the author and include this info with your sample translation, put all this into a nice big envelope and send it off to all publishing houses that might potentially be interested. Then wait.... You will probably get a few rejections, and many will not answer at all. Write again to all companies who rejected the idea and politely ask for referrals/ other addresses of publishing houses that might be interested. Eventually you will be successful and get a contract with, I admit,probably very small royalties. But if the book you translated is a good seller, you have done that famous first step! And while you wait you just do commercial stuff to make a living...

I\'ve done it for years. And actually, it is just as rewarding to find the correct term for some intricate technical device as to translate a tricky passage from a poem or a novel; for me,it\'s a great way to keep things in perspective...

Much luck to you

johanna

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-06 21:50 ]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beginner ... glad for all the advice I can get

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »