New York Univeristy Certificate in Translation
Thread poster: dnewby19
dnewby19
dnewby19

Local time: 10:01
Sep 12, 2002

I\'ve been working (though Lord knows, not much) as a Japanese>English translator for the past year and I\'m looking to add a little bit of meat to my resume. In particular I\'ve been looking at NYU\'s online translation certificate program. It\'s a well-regarded school, and it seems to offer a good overview of the field. I\'d appreciate the advice of anyone who\'s familiar with the program, or who ... See more
I\'ve been working (though Lord knows, not much) as a Japanese>English translator for the past year and I\'m looking to add a little bit of meat to my resume. In particular I\'ve been looking at NYU\'s online translation certificate program. It\'s a well-regarded school, and it seems to offer a good overview of the field. I\'d appreciate the advice of anyone who\'s familiar with the program, or who can recommend any other good post-grad translation programs in the US.Collapse

Nicholas Pizzigati
Nicholas Pizzigati  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:01
Spanish to English
NYU Professional Certificate Oct 2, 2003

I am currently taking courses towards the Spanish->English Certificate, and I've been pleased with the quality of the courses, and maybe even more so with the enthusiasm, knowledge and articulateness of my classmates.
From what I hear, the certificate is also well-looked upon in the industry.
My only qualm at this moment is that the online course offering is somewhat limited, so I haven't been able to move forward at the speed I would like.

Harvetta Asamoah
Harvetta Asamoah  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:01
French to English
+ ...
Current NYU Student Nov 29, 2003

I have taken three courses: Intro to Translation, Legal I, Translating into the Source Language, and I'm currently taking Commercial I. I have to take Legal II and Commercial II to complete my certificate. My translating rate per hour is much faster as a result of taking the courses.

I agree that one of the best things about the program is the camaradie, but not only with the students --- the professors, all practicing translators, are extremely committed to giving us feedback on
... See more
I have taken three courses: Intro to Translation, Legal I, Translating into the Source Language, and I'm currently taking Commercial I. I have to take Legal II and Commercial II to complete my certificate. My translating rate per hour is much faster as a result of taking the courses.

I agree that one of the best things about the program is the camaradie, but not only with the students --- the professors, all practicing translators, are extremely committed to giving us feedback on our translations and to providing guidance on working as translators. Also, I was impressed that NYU treated students to lunch at the ATA Annual Conference.

[Edited at 2003-11-29 11:08]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New York Univeristy Certificate in Translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »