Can I include examples of my translations in my CV?
Thread poster: Kimmy
Kimmy
Kimmy
Local time: 11:39
Italian to English
+ ...
Sep 16, 2002

I have been reading all the great info regarding getting started et al (thanks Julie) and I now have an ethical question.

I have received a number of jobs via Proz.com and through other sources and I am in the process of inserting certian example texts into my CV.

However, I am now in a quandry in regards to this! Who gives me the right to do so? What kind of Non-Disclosure ethics are being violated from doing so? Should I ask the job givers permission?
... See more
I have been reading all the great info regarding getting started et al (thanks Julie) and I now have an ethical question.

I have received a number of jobs via Proz.com and through other sources and I am in the process of inserting certian example texts into my CV.

However, I am now in a quandry in regards to this! Who gives me the right to do so? What kind of Non-Disclosure ethics are being violated from doing so? Should I ask the job givers permission? etc etc.

Am I out of order asking past job givers/agencies for permission to use them as references?

All this and more!

Thanks
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
If you have signed non-disclosure agreements... Sep 17, 2002

obviously you can\'t disclose anything. Still, some texts are done for general public diffusion, and some other clients have texts done for publicity. It wouldn\'t do any harm to ask those clients.

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 21:39
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I wouldn't insert them in a CV, anyway Sep 17, 2002

I\'m not sure it\'s a good idea (I might be wrong). It seems to me it\'s unnecessary. If after sending a CV you are asked to give short samples of your translations you can choose pieces that don\'t reveal who\'s the client, or the better would be to have their agreement. I don\'t think it would be a problem for them to answer to your request and you would be sure you won\'t have any problem. And the best of the best would be to ask for their permission whereas you are in business with them, not... See more
I\'m not sure it\'s a good idea (I might be wrong). It seems to me it\'s unnecessary. If after sending a CV you are asked to give short samples of your translations you can choose pieces that don\'t reveal who\'s the client, or the better would be to have their agreement. I don\'t think it would be a problem for them to answer to your request and you would be sure you won\'t have any problem. And the best of the best would be to ask for their permission whereas you are in business with them, not later.

But I wait for other\'s opinions also.
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
I wouldn't insert sample translations in my CV either Sep 17, 2002

I don\'t think it serves any purpose. You can always send samples afterwards deleting any names like Claudia said. The purpose of a CV is to \'wet the apetite\'. Get them hooked and then they\'ll be more prepared to consider you (they will also give your samples or test translations more attention!).

Good luck!

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oh sorry Sep 17, 2002

I thought you were talking about the function of inserting samples into the proz profile page under the CV. (I believed Gianfranco had done it and added instructions in the proz tutorial).

Spencer Allman
Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:39
Finnish to English
Don't clutter up your CV Sep 18, 2002

I agree with what has already been said. The CV should \"whet the appetite\" and is not the right place for examples of translations.I doubt whether anyone would read them anyway.
[addsig]

Julie Preston
Julie Preston  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:39
Italian to English
Do include a sample text Sep 21, 2002

Kimmy,

DO include a sample text, but obviously not anything including personal or confidential information. I included a translation of a newspaper article on the Italian fiscal system (for an agency, but anyone could have had access to it). I don\'t agree with colleagues who say it\'s not necessary - agencies receive hundreds of CVs and I think it\'s useful for them to have an example of your work before they go to the trouble contacting you and sending a test translation.
... See more
Kimmy,

DO include a sample text, but obviously not anything including personal or confidential information. I included a translation of a newspaper article on the Italian fiscal system (for an agency, but anyone could have had access to it). I don\'t agree with colleagues who say it\'s not necessary - agencies receive hundreds of CVs and I think it\'s useful for them to have an example of your work before they go to the trouble contacting you and sending a test translation. Just include a short translation that fits on one page (both versions).It worked for me anyway!

Julie
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I include examples of my translations in my CV?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »