Thread poster: Maria Knorr
Maria Knorr
Maria Knorr
Local time: 09:13
English
+ ...
Oct 8, 2002

Hello,

I am currently a freelancer but I was thinking (for quite a while now) that I would like to form my own agency. What I want to know is if there is someone out there can give me reall adivce on how that\'s done - not the legal side of it but everything else: how do you find freelancer, contracts, etc.

Thanks

Maria

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:13
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Have you thought of Oct 8, 2002

... franchising? It might be easier as far as contracts, maybe database, advertising etc.

Just an idea.

Monika

Konstantin Lakshin
Konstantin Lakshin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:13
Member (2017)
English to Russian
+ ...
Why? Oct 9, 2002

If you want to work for direct clients and charge higher rates, just go for it. It\'s not against the law. No need to set up shop as a translation company.

I have not seen a client yet who would care whether they dealt with a company or an individual as long as they get the results.

True, every now and then corporate clients start looking for universal solutions and switch to outlets offering \"all languages\". But this is not about agencies vs. freela
... See more
If you want to work for direct clients and charge higher rates, just go for it. It\'s not against the law. No need to set up shop as a translation company.

I have not seen a client yet who would care whether they dealt with a company or an individual as long as they get the results.

True, every now and then corporate clients start looking for universal solutions and switch to outlets offering \"all languages\". But this is not about agencies vs. freelances.

So, why in the world would you want to become an agency?
Collapse

Maria Knorr
Maria Knorr
Local time: 09:13
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Offering more Oct 9, 2002

Quote:

Thanks to everybody who replied.

I want to become an agency not because I want to charge higher rates, but because I believe that I 1)have the business sense to do it 2)can offer so much more as an agency than a sole person. I honestly believe that translating is about helping people understand each other and communicate, and ... See more
Quote:

Thanks to everybody who replied.

I want to become an agency not because I want to charge higher rates, but because I believe that I 1)have the business sense to do it 2)can offer so much more as an agency than a sole person. I honestly believe that translating is about helping people understand each other and communicate, and thus the more things I can do, the better I would feel.

Maria ▲ Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:13
German to English
Franchising? Oct 9, 2002

Monika,

Do you know of translation agencies that do franchises? That might be interesting as some of the work is done for you and they\'re supposed to provide assistance. I\'d like to know more about that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to form an agency

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »