Any accountant around?
Thread poster: Sergio Samoilovich
Sergio Samoilovich
Sergio Samoilovich  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 9, 2002

The VAT (IVA) issue seems to be a good reason to select local translators, and the solution would be to obtain a US Tax I.D. For that, we could incorporate a company in Nevada or Delaware.

In my country I have the same problem: big companies usually prefer service suppliers who can receive VAT.

Now, is there a significant tax advantage for the company who receives VAT-padded bills? Or is it a corporate policy against small providers?

Thanks for you advice...

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
(????) I don't know if I understand this Oct 9, 2002

The best approach to VAT is to consider it inevitable along with death and the rest of the taxes.

Value Added Tax is nothing personal, it\'s percentage depends on the country that implements it, and when you collect VAT, or discount it, you\'re collecting or discounting something that, a priori, belongs to the government and not to you (so be resigned, a priori).

The advantage or disadvantage of this depends on the subjective view of the company and its
... See more
The best approach to VAT is to consider it inevitable along with death and the rest of the taxes.

Value Added Tax is nothing personal, it\'s percentage depends on the country that implements it, and when you collect VAT, or discount it, you\'re collecting or discounting something that, a priori, belongs to the government and not to you (so be resigned, a priori).

The advantage or disadvantage of this depends on the subjective view of the company and its tax structure. So, it\'s really very variable, in which one of the influencing factors would be any bilateral or multilateral agreements between the countries involved.

For that matter, no tax is personal, you\'re simply expected to declare and pay as an earner, whether you\'re a company or a private person.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any accountant around?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »