Thread poster: Renassans LS
Renassans LS
Renassans LS
Local time: 02:11
German to Swedish
+ ...
Dec 23, 2002

Hi!

I have read through many of the posts in this forum, and a number of times the importance of answering questions to gain Kudoz-points has been stressed.

On the other hand, I have also seen many postings saying that numerous people on ProZ.com never, or very seldomly, actually got a job through the site.

Since KudoZ-points only could be of worth when bidding for a job on the site, the value should be limited (due to the low amount
... See more
Hi!

I have read through many of the posts in this forum, and a number of times the importance of answering questions to gain Kudoz-points has been stressed.

On the other hand, I have also seen many postings saying that numerous people on ProZ.com never, or very seldomly, actually got a job through the site.

Since KudoZ-points only could be of worth when bidding for a job on the site, the value should be limited (due to the low amount of people acutally getting jobs through ProZ.com).

Or, do someone really refer to their amount of KudoZ-points when contacting agenicies or such?

Best regards,

Jonas
Collapse

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 09:11
English
+ ...
I think Henry has already aptly noted... Dec 23, 2002

that KudoZ sharpshooting gets you noticed, but doesn\'t necessarily get you jobs. Personally, I take it as a recreational activity and I warmly recommend all my colleagues to take a \"fun\" attitude to it.

If you don\'t enjoy something you\'re doing, it\'s a chore -- so why not divert your love and energy to exactly what you enjoy most. Thus you will help make our entire planet a lovelier place to be, right?

Paul Stevens
Paul Stevens  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:11
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
KudoZ points can help! Dec 23, 2002

I can only speak from personal experience, but during the last couple of years, I have made initial contact with two agencies through jobs that they posted on ProZ, both of whom have subsequently proved to be major suppliers of translation work, who are relaible payers.

Also, only recently, I have secured a 60,000 word job as a result of an agency seeing my profile on ProZ and sending me an e-mail through ProZ.

Whilst I cannot be certain that KudoZ point
... See more
I can only speak from personal experience, but during the last couple of years, I have made initial contact with two agencies through jobs that they posted on ProZ, both of whom have subsequently proved to be major suppliers of translation work, who are relaible payers.

Also, only recently, I have secured a 60,000 word job as a result of an agency seeing my profile on ProZ and sending me an e-mail through ProZ.

Whilst I cannot be certain that KudoZ points have been the major factor to these relationships being forged, they must at least have played a part in the initial job being secured.

I can only say to you that the more ways that you have of marketing your skills, the greater chance you will have of securing new business relationships. KudoZ is one of those ways, since the more points you earn, the more likely clients will see that you must have something to offer.

That is partly why I regularly answer Kudoz questions. But, perhaps the main reason for doing so is that I greatly enjoy the fun and competition element involved, as well as the fact that you are helping out a colleague. This latter element is important when the situation is reversed and you need halp on a tricky phrase yourself.

I would therefore highly recommend that you actively participate in the KudoZ adventure, for the reasons given above.

Good luck to you in your new venture!
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:11
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
The Translators' Workplace Dec 23, 2002

Hi and welcome!

Well, KudoZ is challenge, fun and a wonderful way for learning, getting in touch with colleagues. We are a sort of interactive site, more than a simple list of translators offering their services online. I got to know many colleagues through ProZ and KudoZ is now part of my daily routine and not only because I am one of the site moderators: I enjoy it! Translators\' Workplace, the meeting and working point / reference for translators and non-translator, amate
... See more
Hi and welcome!

Well, KudoZ is challenge, fun and a wonderful way for learning, getting in touch with colleagues. We are a sort of interactive site, more than a simple list of translators offering their services online. I got to know many colleagues through ProZ and KudoZ is now part of my daily routine and not only because I am one of the site moderators: I enjoy it! Translators\' Workplace, the meeting and working point / reference for translators and non-translator, amateurs in its original meaning of \"lover\", people, who love languages and enjoy having to do with them. The site is open to all, professionals and non... Some colleagues got in touch with some agencies, some got new jobs via job posting, many more got contacted through their profile or because of their answers in KudoZ. Many KudoZ means activity on the site, whether positive or negative \"presence\" is to be detected in the answers themselves.

PMs and agencies do contact members via profile, a good number of KudoZ is a way to attract them, but IMO is the quality of the answers that makes the difference. A mean to, all the rest is up to the translator and to his / her skill.

All Prozies I know (virtually or personally) spend every day some time on ProZ... answering KudoZ, posting a message, reading, keeping updated, bidding or not... they do it, because they like it and enjoy it. For many, me included, the \"human\" contact is the main reason and when there is a human being, there\'s a chance for new contacts and new contacts might mean new opportunities, in business as well.

Answering a KudoZ is free, nothing is compulsory, but it is a good way to market your skills without writing to anyone and I believe many different KudoZ tell more about a translator than a translation test.

Merry Xmas and enjoy ProZ,

Giuliana

[ This Message was edited by:on2002-12-23 23:13]
Collapse

Zohreh Samimi

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:11
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
In my opinion... Dec 23, 2002

The main value of KudoZ is to help each-other in times of need. The satisfaction that you get when you help someone else, and also the relief that you get when you receive some help from others is most important (to me at least).

On the other hand, KudoZ points show some expertise and availability to a certain point, but not 100%, since up to this stage, you can earn KudoZ points even if you know how to say \"Good\", \"How are you\" or \"I love you!” IMHO, this does not s
... See more
The main value of KudoZ is to help each-other in times of need. The satisfaction that you get when you help someone else, and also the relief that you get when you receive some help from others is most important (to me at least).

On the other hand, KudoZ points show some expertise and availability to a certain point, but not 100%, since up to this stage, you can earn KudoZ points even if you know how to say \"Good\", \"How are you\" or \"I love you!” IMHO, this does not show expertise, any bilingual individual knows how to say these things. This in no way makes them translators/interpreters or even Pros. I think it would be best to not earn KudoZ points for Easy questions (maybe just BrowniZ points). But this is something that has been discussed for a while and no agreements yet.

Another benefit is that the higher the number of KudoZ, the higher you are listed in your community. If an agency is looking for a translator/interpreter, they will of course start to read through the first people first.

Another benefit is that you learn more by trying to help somebody with a challenging question (at least it works this way for me.)

HTH and welcome to our Proz community,

Monika

[ This Message was edited by:on2002-12-23 19:14]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 21:11
SITE FOUNDER
KudoZ points are a 'flag' Dec 23, 2002

When a client needs a translator who can handle Spanish medical texts, it is quite natural for them to first notice professionals with a large KudoZ points earned from Spanish medical questions.

As far as I know, after identifying possible candidates, all (professional) clients go on to qualify translators using their own methods. But there is no question that KudoZ points are used by outsourcers to identify people who may be worth qualifying. (Sophisticated clients drill do
... See more
When a client needs a translator who can handle Spanish medical texts, it is quite natural for them to first notice professionals with a large KudoZ points earned from Spanish medical questions.

As far as I know, after identifying possible candidates, all (professional) clients go on to qualify translators using their own methods. But there is no question that KudoZ points are used by outsourcers to identify people who may be worth qualifying. (Sophisticated clients drill down to actual answers given...)
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:11
German to English
Another aspect - professional improvement/honing your skills Dec 23, 2002

When I was studying for a certificate in teaching English as a foreign language, I had to present live classes that were attended by the professor and fellow students who afterwards presented me with their critique. They agreed and disagreed with the way I had handled the lesson - I was in the hot seat. One of the ideas behind this is to subject a future teacher to peer pressure prior to becoming a full-time teacher where there is usually no one to point out mistakes being made. Peer pressure is... See more
When I was studying for a certificate in teaching English as a foreign language, I had to present live classes that were attended by the professor and fellow students who afterwards presented me with their critique. They agreed and disagreed with the way I had handled the lesson - I was in the hot seat. One of the ideas behind this is to subject a future teacher to peer pressure prior to becoming a full-time teacher where there is usually no one to point out mistakes being made. Peer pressure is a powerful motivator. It causes you to reflect on your performance and look for approaches that will make your peers happier.

The same thing is true for translators offering KudoZ proposals. When you answer a KudoZ question, you are putting your reputation on the line - you\'re in the hot seat. Dozens of top-notch translators with very high standards will be your judges. After you get some “disagrees” with your proposal you will tend to work a little harder on the next question. I have found that over time my KudoZ answers have gotten better and the translations I get paid for too.

Kim
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Kudoz points aren't as important as what you give and take... Dec 23, 2002

subjectively speaking. You learn a lot playing the game, solving real-life translation problems that schools wouldn\'t be that able to tell you about. Then, sometimes, they\'re a real help/revelation to your colleagues. Now, the \"gallery\" is a third party in the relationship and, as Henry said, a good headhunter would be particularly resourceful in using them to ferret out talent.

ttagir
ttagir  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:11
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
KudoZ is probably the most valuable thing in tanslation world! Dec 24, 2002

... one might easily recall as I do those days (not too far from the coming Xmas, though) when KudoZ appeared. As in almost any process in IT world, by participating in KudoZ you are creating your own traces and ... thus slightly changing the world! Your own world and those of others. I am sure that this invention was, is, and will be one of the strongest and freshest things in translation - anybody may trace your answers from almost the origin!

Not saying all those ordina
... See more
... one might easily recall as I do those days (not too far from the coming Xmas, though) when KudoZ appeared. As in almost any process in IT world, by participating in KudoZ you are creating your own traces and ... thus slightly changing the world! Your own world and those of others. I am sure that this invention was, is, and will be one of the strongest and freshest things in translation - anybody may trace your answers from almost the origin!

Not saying all those ordinary words about \"the best place where you may get highly professional help and assistance\", I should note one additional feature: it is absolutely free and can be read and used by anybody joined the site!

I am sure that \"clever\" \"jobvgivers\" certainly read KudoZ and trace eventual candidates (if they do not, then their intellectual level is not too high). Usually, people claiming and making complaints in view of absence of work flows via ProZ either are rather poor translators, or did not understand all roles in this piece since had not read them, or simply do not correspond to the site\'s name - ProZ means \"professionals\". Secondly, if you simply estimate the \"monetary\" quantities of job postings appearing every day, hour, minute, you will certainly find that this site not simply functions, but also is permanently growing, and growing, and growing... Please take into account that this huge site already established a huge pattern of jobs and those who found a job!

Again, in the translation world KudoZ is like the invention of a wheel or the discovery of fire. Actually, one additional plus - KudoZ teaches us to be humans. Recall Beatles: ...the love you make\\ is equal to the love you take.

We are yet too close to the events for being able to see them in the whole.

Best wishes to all checking \"proz.com\" in their browsers almost every day Merry Xmas and happy New Year!

Yours, as ever, Tagir.
Collapse

williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Agree with Arthur Borges, but wonder.... Dec 24, 2002

how can you gather an amount of Kudoz-points founded on profound research and make a good translation also founded on profound research at the same time?

How individual is Kudoz at top level?

Or is it teamwork?

If it is teamwork, does it reflect the capacities of the individual translator?

Are peers have sharper eyes more authoritative than standard dictionaries?

How neutral are peers as they are stakeholders?

However, Kudoz is a usef
... See more
how can you gather an amount of Kudoz-points founded on profound research and make a good translation also founded on profound research at the same time?

How individual is Kudoz at top level?

Or is it teamwork?

If it is teamwork, does it reflect the capacities of the individual translator?

Are peers have sharper eyes more authoritative than standard dictionaries?

How neutral are peers as they are stakeholders?

However, Kudoz is a useful terminology tool, if the term the peers agreed with is correct. I wonder how you can be certain about that?

Proz is not the only site on the web and not by far not the only source of getting jobs. There was a time before Proz and at that time, I got job-offers too.

Collapse

Renassans LS
Renassans LS
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your thoughts! Dec 24, 2002

Hello again,

and thanks alot for all the answers. I do agree, I have started answering (and asking quite a few, too!) KudoZ questions, during the last weeks and it is fun! And, of course getting a good answer to a tricky question, when the deadline is approaching, can be a life-saver.

A Merry Christmas to all of you too, and thanks to Henry for creating this extremely valuable site!

/Jonas

bergazy
bergazy  Identity Verified
Croatia
Croatian to Italian
+ ...
You don't like the show? Turn your TV off! Dec 24, 2002

Dear Jonas

through, or with Proz in last three months I got 5 jobs + 1 Instant job I didn\'t do because of my absence from home. Is it enough?

If you don\'t like Kudoz, do not participate,

just let us to enjoy the show!

Best Wishes

Bergazy

Eva Gustavsson
Eva Gustavsson  Identity Verified
German to Swedish
+ ...
Exactly Paul! Jan 21, 2003

Quote:

But, perhaps the main reason for doing so [that is, answering Kudoz questions] is that I greatly enjoy the fun and competition element involved, as well as the fact that you are helping out a colleague. This latter element is important when the situation is reversed and you need halp on a tricky phrase yourself.

You expressed the essence of Kudoz very well!

Eva

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the value of KudoZ points?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »